Kuchar/Sergio - WGC Match Play Drama - Your Take?

Sergio was an idiot. Pick up the ball, don't flail at it. At least he didn't slam down his putter on the green, again.

So is twitter demanding yet that Kutch pay Garcia earnings lost for not speaking up fast enough on the missed putt? Someone get Mr. Gillis on a DM stat!

https://www.skysports.com/golf/news...-kuchar-both-to-blame-for-wgc-concession-gate

https://www.golf.com/news/2019/04/01/sergio-garcia-matt-kuchar-player-reactions/

The consensus this side of the Atlantic is that both were to blame.

Garcia always has been a dick, always will be and knows no better. He deserved to lose the hole and can not whine but he still does.

Kuch has always been a good guy, highly respected by all, but for a second time, it not looking good. The response from the other professionals, especially Hahn tells a lot.

Sorry, but I will be ditching my Sketcher golf shoes from the roster with immediate effect.

Kuchar did nothing wrong. He shouldn't even be a part of the conversation. It was all Garcia.

After the horror show that was that "we are all cool!" video in the cart I think they should play a game of who is tougher, post it on twitter and then we can all end this discussion.

For those that have not partaken, to find out who is tougher you stand opposite each other and kick the other in the crotch until someone relents. In my experience kick first and immediately declaring your opponent the winner is the best strategy, but in this case I think the golf world would enjoy seeing each of these guys get a few shots to the bean bag.

After the horror show that was that "we are all cool!" video in the cart I think they should play a game of who is tougher, post it on twitter and then we can all end this discussion.

For those that have not partaken, to find out who is tougher you stand opposite each other and kick the other in the crotch until someone relents. In my experience kick first and immediately declaring your opponent the winner is the best strategy, but in this case I think the golf world would enjoy seeing each of these guys get a few shots to the bean bag.

This is simply the greatest idea I have ever heard and will forever call you Sir, because you should be knighted for having come up with it.

It was good to see Sergio accept his, admittedly small yet important, error.

Time to change the rules of golf regarding this. So quick, so simple.

Looking at this controversy.... there was no controversy. Sergio was hot under the collar. He couldn't wait a second or two. He missed. End of story.

The "we're all cool" video was cringeworthy, but the golf world can't let this die.

Kuchar did nothing wrong. He shouldn't even be a part of the conversation. It was all Garcia.

How do you figure that? You shouldn't have to look at your opponent when the ball is that close to the hole. Whilst Sergio was stupid, the whole incident doesn't happen if Kuchar says "it's good" or something similar.

How do you figure that? You shouldn't have to look at your opponent when the ball is that close to the hole. Whilst Sergio was stupid, the whole incident doesn't happen if Kuchar says "it's good" or something similar.

In a tournament? Under no circumstance should a player get to decide which ones of his putts are good.

All it would have taken was a half glance at Kuchar to get the concession. Terrible decision and I hope nothing about the rules change personally.

Slight change of topic, but what would you do?

I've actually been there, in comp matchplay dude putted to 5 inches and then hit ball away in frustration. Before I could concede putt.

I let it slide and took the half, but I shouldn't have and would have been right to do what Kuchar did.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

imho as someone who is not uber competitive, i would have done exactly what you did. let it slide, your intent was to give it anyway. not like he wiped away a 2-foot downhill left to right breaker and said, "that was good, right?"

This boggles the mind.

It’s match play. The player chooses what his opponent has to putt or is given. Not the opponent.

In a match play event, you certainly should have to look at your opponent. It's his call. No matter if it's an inch or 4 feet. That's part of the whole match play layout.

Looking further into it, what if they just went to the next hole and Kuchar says "oh, it was good" and then video shows that exchange never happened. Does Kuchar then lose the hole?

Golf, in most realms, is a game of honor and self policing. The pros obviously have eyes on then at all times, so it's even more stringent on those rules.

And honestly, it's not hard to play by the rules.... Especially this one.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

In a match play event, you certainly should have to look at your opponent. It's his call. No matter if it's an inch or 4 feet. That's part of the whole match play layout.

Looking further into it, what if they just went to the next hole and Kuchar says "oh, it was good" and then video shows that exchange never happened. Does Kuchar then lose the hole?

Golf, in most realms, is a game of honor and self policing. The pros obviously have eyes on then at all times, so it's even more stringent on those rules.

And honestly, it's not hard to play by the rules.... Especially this one.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I agree, the hole isn’t conceded until your opponent says so. I’ve been in that situation and I just keep on moving. I don’t expect anything given and don’t assume anything is good.

This boggles the mind.

It’s match play. The player chooses what his opponent has to putt or is given. Not the opponent.

If Sergio looked at Kuchar, do you honestly think he would not have said that putt was good? My point is Kuchar should have said it, thus the whole sorry incident would not have happened. Hardly mind boggling.

In a tournament? Under no circumstance should a player get to decide which ones of his putts are good.

All it would have taken was a half glance at Kuchar to get the concession. Terrible decision and I hope nothing about the rules change personally.

Why should Sergio even have to do that? I can't think of any guy in the field who wouldn't give that putt so why was it not given?

Now, the rule is the rule, I have never said anything to the contrary but it's a douche move by Kuchar.

Why should Sergio even have to do that? I can't think of any guy in the field who wouldn't give that putt so why was it not given?

Now, the rule is the rule, I have never said anything to the contrary but it's a douche move by Kuchar.

maybe because it's customary to look at the player so there is no doubt whether the concession given?

We have all been in a situation where a player has hit the ball away before we can say 'It's good'. You have conceded the putt in your mind but have not spoken out loud. If your opponent is dumb enough not to wait for the concession, you have a choice to make.

Either you walk off to the next tee having accepted that the result was fair ( I would have made a point by saying after he had knocked away the ball ' Good job I whispered that concession')

Or you show your opponent that there are two dicks playing this match by claiming the hole.

There were a couple of similar situations in the Rory/Tiger match. Rory had a 2-3 footer for par to tie a hole, and Tiger didn't say anything right away. Rory goes slowly for a ball marker, looking at Tiger the whole time (basically asking for the concession). Tiger says 'pick it up'. Exact same thing happened on the next hole, and Tiger says nothing. Rory misses. Crucial point in the match.

I got in late on this thread so I'll just say what has probably already been said.

Immature by Sergio to do that. That is definitely a gimmie though and Kuchar shouldn't of hid behind the "letter of the law" and just give Sergio the putt. The "not enough time to concede" or whatever is trash.

On the flip side. I haven't watched their kiss and makeup video they did from a golf cart and don't plan on it.

Just weird.

Because who decides what the cutoff for an "automatic gimme" is? The opponent has to concede the putt, or it's not conceded.

Slight change of topic, but what would you do?

I've actually been there, in comp matchplay dude putted to 5 inches and then hit ball away in frustration. Before I could concede putt.

I let it slide and took the half, but I shouldn't have and would have been right to do what Kuchar did.
Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk
I was the guy who swiped at a 6" putt in anger and missed it. if I would have handled it the right way I would have halved the hole. My opponent asked for my score, almost expecting me to not count the extra stroke. I counted it and he won the hole. It was 100% a me problem, it would have been absurd to expect anything from my opponent.

Did you watch the video? In that series of events, when would Kuch have been able to concede the putt? No effort was made by Sergio to look for a concession. You cannot retroactively concede. It was a 2 inch putt. Patrick Reed would have conceded this putt to Ian Poulter in the 12th match on Sunday to win the Ryder Cup for the Europeans, this was not a gamesmanship decision to not concede.

The idea that Kuch a douche for his role in this is laughable.

The only douche in this deal is Sergio. He knows the rules of match play and knows that until his opponent affirmatively concedes the putt, the ball is still in play. The whole notion that Kuch should have done something to relieve Sergio of the burden of his F-up is absurd.

What could Kuch have done differently that does not go against Rule 1.3?

Back