Kuchar/Sergio - WGC Match Play Drama - Your Take?

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
We'll keep the titles similar, but the topic a bit different!

The missed putt:

The argument:

The makeup:

100% with Kuch. Again.

My take=Kuchar is all right, Surge is a dick.

Sergio was being childish and if he delayed just a second and looked up at Kuch, thumbs up would be given or some acknowledgement then this wouldn't be an issue.

Kuch simply played the game and if Sergio showed a little more respect to others then this wouldn't have happened.

To be fair though I would have given him the putt personally anyway, but I know plenty of others who would do as Kuch did

Whatever

Sergio is a clown and keeps digging himself a deeper hole.

b19547342278aab571a98b4b595afc10.gif

Serg is a dope. I have felt foolish before missing those backwards tap-in putts, but this is a competition with money on the line. You made the mistake, you look dumb, you lost the hole. End of story.

I also would like to (as a person of Spanish descent) end this fiery Spaniard myth. Sergio and Rahm are asses, like plenty of others on tour and in life. I hate that they're given this out, when really they're both just petulant.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I like that they did the video follow up. That is smart. Not a fan of anyone suggesting Kuch should have lied to the rules official and claimed the putt was conceded. That goes against the very essence of our game.

Not sure why this is even a story, but I guess the two people involved make it rather curious.

Agree, it wouldn't be a story if Sergio didn't have such a deserved reputation for being an imbicile on the course. If my 13-year-old daughter acted like him on the course I'd send her home. Like he said after the round, he screwed up. Kuch won 2 up so the missed putt made no difference in the outcome of the match.

new variation on the classic wisdom from forrest gump that stupid is as stupid does.

d1ck is as d1ck does

I like that they did the video follow up. That is smart. Not a fan of anyone suggesting Kuch should have lied to the rules official and claimed the putt was conceded. That goes against the very essence of our game.

Not sure why this is even a story, but I guess the two people involved make it rather curious.

My thoughts exactly and what I told my wife when I heard a lot of people suggest that Kuch should have lied about giving him the putt. Lots of the guys on PGA Tour network said he should have lied about. I was really disappointed in that take. And for all the "If Kuch would have done this or that or been watching like he should have been" talk it still boils down to if Sergio doesn't act in the manner he did then it is not a story.

Sergio is an idiot.

Sergio messed up and it cost him a hole in the match. It's not fair to Kuchar to ask him to lie about conceding the putt, or to give up a subsequent hole to "make things right". If Kuchar conceded a hole later in the match, it would make them square, but it also effectively shortens the match - which isn't right either (and maybe benefits Sergio if he isn't playing well).

Team Koooooooooch.

No way should he have lied to save Sergio's butt.

What else is there to say? agree with all, he's an idiot once again.

But I don't see any reason why putts inside the leather need to be conceded at this point, make them all good, gimmes, is anyone not conceding them? nope, never. New rule- no need to concede gimme putts in match play.

Sergio is in the wrong. If you take a moment and not wack the ball, it either goes in or you have it given to you.
The entitlement of Sergio to ask Matt to concede the next hole is amazing! You messed up, own it.

But I don't see any reason why putts inside the leather need to be conceded at this point, make them all good, gimmes, is anyone not conceding them? nope, never. New rule- no need to concede gimme putts in match play.

putting concessions are a big part of matchplay and the mind games that can be in place.

Removing that would eliminate a very interesting part of this style of play.

Slight change of topic, but what would you do?

I've actually been there, in comp matchplay dude putted to 5 inches and then hit ball away in frustration. Before I could concede putt.

I let it slide and took the half, but I shouldn't have and would have been right to do what Kuchar did.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

According to the rules, Sergio lost the hole from a missed putt and I am ok with that. 999/1000 times he makes that backhanded putt most likely, and that one time it cost him.

That's my guess as to how this is a story. I think the whole thing stinks for Kuchar. Sergio was an idiot and in the wrong through and through, as is often the case.

I believe if you do agree to this in advance your basically agreeing to cheating. And what are you going to do, measure every putt.

It's matchplay, and part of the game. I think Faldo summed it up, you see it all the time, the guys looking up to see if a putt is conceded before moving on.

If Sergio pauses or looks up first, then Kuchar concedes. He didn't, he missed, he loses.

You don't have to concede anything, it's not nice but sometimes being a Richard can be beneficial. Especially against a ticking Timebomb like Sergio.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

It's still weird to me that you can't concede putts after the fact - if Kuchar wanted to give it, what does it matter when he says "it was good"? That said, it's still Kuchar's call to make. Sergio shouldn't be able to swipe at putts that he thinks are gimmes, hoping for a concession. Just as Kuchar should be a good sport on short ones, Sergio should be a good sport and lose the sense of entitlement.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/golf/47772103

Kuch was a dick , as he made a point of telling the referee that he had not conceded the putt. Why did he do that if he was not looking to gain the hole. Once Kuch told the referee that he had not conceded the putt, there was only one way the ref could react.

We expect little from Garcia except petulant poor behaviour. But Kuch has always been different , so I am disappointed that he behaved so poorly. Nothing Garcia does surprises me, after the spitting in the cup.

Since its sergio and kuch of course I love the popcorn moment of all of this. Other than that, Sergio is a person that I feel like gets needled like crazy and could easily put himself in this position. I don't blame kuch on this one and think Sergio needs to keep his cool.

I will say I wouldn't be surprised if Kuch was doing some gamemanship on this. It's matchplay and the mental aspect is a huge part of match play.

Sergio was wrong(again). If you are playing in a match w/ me and miss a short one, congrats you get to putt a bunch of short ones after that!! Just part of match play imo..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back