Calculating club distances

shadow0861

World's Okayest Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
All of the clubs near me have driving ranges with no real distance markers. How can I compute club distances for a cheat sheet? I make fairly accurate guesses off the deck, but am punished on par 3's.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

Try going to a course when it's not busy and dropping balls at different yardages from the green and see what club gets you that distance. Another option is something like the sc100 for use at the range.

Try going to a course when it's not busy and dropping balls at different yardages from the green and see what club gets you that distance. Another option is something like the sc100 for use at the range.

This is a great suggestion, you need to know your distances with the balls you normally play, not range rocks. Nothing beats using the actual ball you use under real conditions.

With new clubs, I just play and write distances down using my GPS until I get the average down for each club. Takes time, and some adjustments along the way, but that has always worked for me.

All of the clubs near me have driving ranges with no real distance markers. How can I compute club distances for a cheat sheet? I make fairly accurate guesses off the deck, but am punished on par 3's.

You can laser sight where your ball lands on the range. Also keep track of where it rolls out to.

When I begin a practice session I will laser several targets and distances. That way I have a good idea how far I hit every club in my bag.

Find out which club goes 100 yards and add or subtract 10 to 12 yards for each club above or below.
Knowing what to hit for 100. 150. And 200 yards also helps and work it out from there.

Find out which club goes 100 yards and add or subtract 10 to 12 yards for each club above or below.
Knowing what to hit for 100. 150. And 200 yards also helps and work it out from there.

Each time I got out that's what I'm looking for. What club is going to be my 150 today? Usually 8 iron. Downhill? Let's try the 9. Into a headwind? Maybe the 7...

After that its just guessing. I don't have a caddie, swing coach, bags of ProV1's or unlimited access to a launch monitor. Rarely am I off more than the standard deviation with any club above 6 iron.

Nice, I never thought of these suggestions. I use GolfPad GPS and a Pebble watch for distances, I guess I will take the extra time to log club distances off different surfaces as well. Thank you.

I meant I use those for the distance to green, not club distances.

If you get the golf tags for golf pad then the program can actually start recommending clubs for you after you put in a few distances.

Im waiting for my tags to be delivered. Early August apparently. Too long of a wait!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

I don't mean to soundnegative but this is very hard to do unless you have a very consistent swing which most of us don't or we would play to scratch, etc... Just IMHO and don't mean to offend anyone. However, I think the best thing an average golfer can do is start with a mid iron (for me my 7 iron) and try to find what your average distance is (not your best shot ever or your worse)...then from there like somone already suggested add or subtract 10-12 yards going up or down through the bag BUT depending on the actual gaps between clubs as you do that. And this IMHO only works for irons. Longer clubs for off the tee like drivers, 3 woods etc...only can be derived by testing and like someone said GPS a couple of rounds of drives throwing out the high and low and trying to find an average. BUT here is the kicker and back to my original statement at the beggining of this post...this all only gives you and idea but each swing can create different results because we don't all swing consistent enough to dial in yardages to be very precise...that is just my 2 cents.

PS And as someone also said yes you do need to adjust for up/down hill as well as into or wth the wind and it is all a SWAG to a large degree.

Here's what I'm doing when my new clubs come in. I'm going to show up 30-60 minutes early on league night at the Great Indoors Golf Center in Ballston Spa, NY and jump on a simulator in driving range mode. I'm going to hit about ten shots with each club and see what my distances are under ideal conditions. From there, it will be a lot of logging experience on course.

GIGC uses Sports Coach simulators. I have also played on Foremost simulators, and the results seem to be pretty similar - realistic and accurate.

A football field will only wok for wdges! You sure can't hit a 150 club

I used trackman over the winter at a local health club. I measured 7-pw and the carry distances were less then i expected but it has paid off so far this year. I hit about 20 shots with each and took cell pics of the results. The average carry was my measurement. So far it has paid off as I have hit and held more greens so far this year and alot more birdie putts.

A system like Arccos is what you need! It works great for me. You should not base your distances on a driving range session..

Im in the same boat as my ranges markings dont seem on point! Will be doing what I can to work it all out

Back