Nippon Shafts
Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Driver Fitting

  1. #1
    Junior Golfer ohthehumanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    122
    Member
    51366
    Handicap
    15
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    146
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    102
    Thanked in
    54 Posts

    Driver Fitting

    Hi everyone,

    I went and did a driver fitting on the weekend, and am not sure my numbers are ideal. I was fit into a Ping G410 9 degree tour 65 regular after we hit Cobra F9, and the Epic Flash. The Ping #s were better than the rest so he is recommending this set up. Looking at my numbers on Trackman, I am not sure if I am getting the most out of the fitting as my slow ss is averaging 92 mph with a launch angle of 11.8 and a spin rate of 2990 and AOA is +0.3.

    My question is would turning the head up a half degree get me a little more launch without driving up my spin rate?

    My other question is, does anyone know if the Tensei CK Orange (which is a no charge upgrade) give me a better launch with lower spin than the Ping 65 Tour Shaft?

    Thanks in advance.
    DRIVER - PING G400 MAX TOUR STIFF 9 DEGREE (incoming)
    FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G400 3 and 5 ALTA CB STIFF
    HYBRIDS - CALLAWAY BIG BERTHA 4 AND 5
    IRONS - MIZUNO JPX 919 HOT METAL NS PRO MODUS3 TOUR 105 6-GAP
    WEDGES - CLEVELAND CBX 56 AND 60
    PUTTER - ODYSSEY STROKE LABS ONE 34"
    BALL - SRIXON Q STAR TOUR WHITE
    BAG - PING TRAVERSE
    CART - CLICGEAR 3.5
    RANGEFINDER - BUSHNELL TOUR V4

  2. #2
    Follow @THPGolf JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Where the THP Tour Van Takes Us!
    Posts
    176,594
    Member
    3
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    18,891
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    331,091
    Thanked in
    63,475 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ohthehumanity View Post
    Hi everyone,

    I went and did a driver fitting on the weekend, and am not sure my numbers are ideal. I was fit into a Ping G410 9 degree tour 65 regular after we hit Cobra F9, and the Epic Flash. The Ping #s were better than the rest so he is recommending this set up. Looking at my numbers on Trackman, I am not sure if I am getting the most out of the fitting as my slow ss is averaging 92 mph with a launch angle of 11.8 and a spin rate of 2990 and AOA is +0.3.

    My question is would turning the head up a half degree get me a little more launch without driving up my spin rate?

    My other question is, does anyone know if the Tensei CK Orange (which is a no charge upgrade) give me a better launch with lower spin than the Ping 65 Tour Shaft?

    Thanks in advance.
    That will depend on the player, but with more loft, comes more spin.
    Do you have those numbers? Perhaps with them, we can dive in a little deeper.
    In my 2018 #TheGrandaddy THP Event Bag

    Driver:
    Epic Flash w/ Helium Shaft 45"
    Driver 2: XXIO Prime w/
    Custom THP HZRDUS Shaft 43.5"
    Fairway Wood: F9 5 Wood
    Hybrids:
    Launcher HB
    Irons: Apex 19 w/ Recoil Proto 95
    Wedges:
    CBX 50* and RTX-4 56* & 60* PM Grind 19
    Putter:
    #7S
    Balls:
    2018 Chrome Soft

  3. #3
    Junior Golfer ohthehumanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    122
    Member
    51366
    Handicap
    15
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    146
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    102
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Thanks JB,

    They are as follows...

    AOA +0.3
    Swing Dir 1.5
    Club Path 1.3
    Face angle 1.4
    Launch Ang 11.8
    Spin Rate 2990
    Carry 201.1
    Total 225.4
    Club Speed 91.7
    Ball Speed 130.3
    DRIVER - PING G400 MAX TOUR STIFF 9 DEGREE (incoming)
    FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G400 3 and 5 ALTA CB STIFF
    HYBRIDS - CALLAWAY BIG BERTHA 4 AND 5
    IRONS - MIZUNO JPX 919 HOT METAL NS PRO MODUS3 TOUR 105 6-GAP
    WEDGES - CLEVELAND CBX 56 AND 60
    PUTTER - ODYSSEY STROKE LABS ONE 34"
    BALL - SRIXON Q STAR TOUR WHITE
    BAG - PING TRAVERSE
    CART - CLICGEAR 3.5
    RANGEFINDER - BUSHNELL TOUR V4

  4. #4
    Follow @THPGolf JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Where the THP Tour Van Takes Us!
    Posts
    176,594
    Member
    3
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    18,891
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    331,091
    Thanked in
    63,475 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ohthehumanity View Post
    Thanks JB,

    They are as follows...

    AOA +0.3
    Swing Dir 1.5
    Club Path 1.3
    Face angle 1.4
    Launch Ang 11.8
    Spin Rate 2990
    Carry 201.1
    Total 225.4
    Club Speed 91.7
    Ball Speed 130.3
    Efficiency is decent at 1.41. With your positive angle of attack, the launch of 12 and the spin rate nearing 3000 would make me pause. Nothing wrong with that, especially in the climate where you are where the fairways are wet and roll is not going to be at a premium.
    I would like to see spin go down and launch go up, but you hit the G410 better than the other heads, which are a bit lower spinning (in my experience).

    If you are set on these 3, run with it. If you are interesting in looking at other models, you could find a lower spin head and adjust with loft to find the desired balance. Just my thoughts.
    In my 2018 #TheGrandaddy THP Event Bag

    Driver:
    Epic Flash w/ Helium Shaft 45"
    Driver 2: XXIO Prime w/
    Custom THP HZRDUS Shaft 43.5"
    Fairway Wood: F9 5 Wood
    Hybrids:
    Launcher HB
    Irons: Apex 19 w/ Recoil Proto 95
    Wedges:
    CBX 50* and RTX-4 56* & 60* PM Grind 19
    Putter:
    #7S
    Balls:
    2018 Chrome Soft

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to JB For This Useful Post:

    ohthehumanity (04-15-2019)

  6. #5
    Major Champion NullNomad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    San Antonio, Texas
    Posts
    1,374
    Member
    24821
    Handicap
    work
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    1,437
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    1,084
    Thanked in
    563 Posts
    I'm always weary of chasing numbers myself. I'm guilty of it, but it's also put me and people close to me in the wrong gear that gets replaced shortly after being put in the bag. So for me, I'm always putting feel and visual ball flight a step above what the numbers show because it gives me the confidence to be more consistent.
    Driver: M1 9.5 Won right here on THP!
    Fairway: GBB Epic 3w 15, GBB EPIC 5w 18

    Hybrid: X 416 4h 22
    Irons:
    Apex CF19 5-PW XP 95
    Wedges: 588 RTX 48 54 60
    Putter: Newport 2.0
    CounterCore Pistol GT 2.0
    Grips: MCC +4
    Ball: Round with dimples

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to NullNomad For This Useful Post:

    ohthehumanity (04-15-2019)

  8. #6
    Junior Golfer ohthehumanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    122
    Member
    51366
    Handicap
    15
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    146
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    102
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Efficiency is decent at 1.41. With your positive angle of attack, the launch of 12 and the spin rate nearing 3000 would make me pause. Nothing wrong with that, especially in the climate where you are where the fairways are wet and roll is not going to be at a premium.
    I would like to see spin go down and launch go up, but you hit the G410 better than the other heads, which are a bit lower spinning (in my experience).

    If you are set on these 3, run with it. If you are interesting in looking at other models, you could find a lower spin head and adjust with loft to find the desired balance. Just my thoughts.
    It weird JB, I just couldn't hit the Cobra or the EF flush as it seemed that I was hitting everything off the heel, but as soon as I got the Ping into my hands I was hitting it well. I am gaming a Ping G driver right now which is shortened to 44 inches and I hit it well on the course, but I would like to grab some more distance from my drives so I am trying every which way to do so, and a new driver that is fit to me is my hope of grabbing those extra yards.

    My #s of my Ping G with Alta 55 reg shaft are as follows....


    AOA +0.3
    Swing Dir 0.9
    Club Path 0.6
    Face angle 0.0
    Launch Ang 13.8
    Spin Rate 3463
    Carry 197.8
    Total 217.3
    Club Speed 90.3
    Ball Speed 129.9
    DRIVER - PING G400 MAX TOUR STIFF 9 DEGREE (incoming)
    FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G400 3 and 5 ALTA CB STIFF
    HYBRIDS - CALLAWAY BIG BERTHA 4 AND 5
    IRONS - MIZUNO JPX 919 HOT METAL NS PRO MODUS3 TOUR 105 6-GAP
    WEDGES - CLEVELAND CBX 56 AND 60
    PUTTER - ODYSSEY STROKE LABS ONE 34"
    BALL - SRIXON Q STAR TOUR WHITE
    BAG - PING TRAVERSE
    CART - CLICGEAR 3.5
    RANGEFINDER - BUSHNELL TOUR V4

  9. #7
    Follow @THPGolf JB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Where the THP Tour Van Takes Us!
    Posts
    176,594
    Member
    3
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    18,891
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    331,091
    Thanked in
    63,475 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ohthehumanity View Post
    It weird JB, I just couldn't hit the Cobra or the EF flush as it seemed that I was hitting everything off the heel, but as soon as I got the Ping into my hands I was hitting it well. I am gaming a Ping G driver right now which is shortened to 44 inches and I hit it well on the course, but I would like to grab some more distance from my drives so I am trying every which way to do so, and a new driver that is fit to me is my hope of grabbing those extra yards.

    My #s of my Ping G with Alta 55 reg shaft are as follows....


    AOA +0.3
    Swing Dir 0.9
    Club Path 0.6
    Face angle 0.0
    Launch Ang 13.8
    Spin Rate 3463
    Carry 197.8
    Total 217.3
    Club Speed 90.3
    Ball Speed 129.9
    So you are picking up roughly 4 yards of carry with the new club. Im guessing that is because of the extra length as stock Ping is one of the longest shafts.
    have you considered testing other options? Srixon? Sub Zero? M5? Exotics?

    Lots of great options this year.
    In my 2018 #TheGrandaddy THP Event Bag

    Driver:
    Epic Flash w/ Helium Shaft 45"
    Driver 2: XXIO Prime w/
    Custom THP HZRDUS Shaft 43.5"
    Fairway Wood: F9 5 Wood
    Hybrids:
    Launcher HB
    Irons: Apex 19 w/ Recoil Proto 95
    Wedges:
    CBX 50* and RTX-4 56* & 60* PM Grind 19
    Putter:
    #7S
    Balls:
    2018 Chrome Soft

  10. #8
    Junior Golfer ohthehumanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    122
    Member
    51366
    Handicap
    15
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    146
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    102
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    I wanted to try try the Mizuno ST190 but he couldn't get it in for me. I like the length of the driver I use now, and am wondering if there is a shaft that I could throw into my current gamer that could drop the spin #s down for me? I am currently playing the driver at 10.5 degrees so maybe a half degree down and a different shaft would optimize my #s?
    Last edited by ohthehumanity; 04-15-2019 at 01:03 PM.
    DRIVER - PING G400 MAX TOUR STIFF 9 DEGREE (incoming)
    FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G400 3 and 5 ALTA CB STIFF
    HYBRIDS - CALLAWAY BIG BERTHA 4 AND 5
    IRONS - MIZUNO JPX 919 HOT METAL NS PRO MODUS3 TOUR 105 6-GAP
    WEDGES - CLEVELAND CBX 56 AND 60
    PUTTER - ODYSSEY STROKE LABS ONE 34"
    BALL - SRIXON Q STAR TOUR WHITE
    BAG - PING TRAVERSE
    CART - CLICGEAR 3.5
    RANGEFINDER - BUSHNELL TOUR V4

  11. #9
    In Search of a Dang Swing kevin81002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The IE, SoCal
    Posts
    8,034
    Member
    39197
    Handicap
    9
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    9,156
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6,217
    Thanked in
    3,522 Posts
    I think a higher lofted, lower spinning head would be the direction I'd look if I were you. Try to get the launch angle somewhere more in the 14-15* range. A 10.5 head lofted up in the 11.5-12 range should do it for ya. If you can do that alone without a jump in spin, you'll be fine. But if you can do that and get spin down in the 2500 range, even better. Something like the m5 or subzero, maybe mizuno st190, etc. You don't want to get too low on spin though. At your ball speed, you need some spin to keep the ball airborne.

    How did the numbers compare to your current gamer? Did he have you hit any with it?

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Speedback F9 Avalanche 10.5, GD Tour AD BB 6X shaft
    Speedback 3w 14.5, PX HZRDUS Black 6.5
    816 H1 21*, Fuji Motore 9.2X
    Z565 5-PW, PX LZ 6.5 Shafts
    RTX3 Tour Raw 50, 56, 60, Tour 130x
    Fastback+ Tour 34", original CT Pistolero grip
    Handcrafted Experience 2016 with
    and THP
    THP Regional Rivalry: SoCal vs Norcal 2017
    2018 with THP,
    and Jamie Sadlowski

  12. #10
    Junior Golfer ohthehumanity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    122
    Member
    51366
    Handicap
    15
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    146
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    102
    Thanked in
    54 Posts
    Hey Kevin.

    My gamer is a Ping G at 10.5 with an Alta 55 reg shaft shortened to 44 inches.

    These are the numbers....

    AOA +0.3
    Swing Dir 0.9
    Club Path 0.6
    Face angle 0.0
    Launch Ang 13.8
    Spin Rate 3463
    Carry 197.8
    Total 217.3
    Club Speed 90.3
    Ball Speed 129.9
    DRIVER - PING G400 MAX TOUR STIFF 9 DEGREE (incoming)
    FAIRWAY WOODS - PING G400 3 and 5 ALTA CB STIFF
    HYBRIDS - CALLAWAY BIG BERTHA 4 AND 5
    IRONS - MIZUNO JPX 919 HOT METAL NS PRO MODUS3 TOUR 105 6-GAP
    WEDGES - CLEVELAND CBX 56 AND 60
    PUTTER - ODYSSEY STROKE LABS ONE 34"
    BALL - SRIXON Q STAR TOUR WHITE
    BAG - PING TRAVERSE
    CART - CLICGEAR 3.5
    RANGEFINDER - BUSHNELL TOUR V4

  13. #11
    In Search of a Dang Swing kevin81002's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    The IE, SoCal
    Posts
    8,034
    Member
    39197
    Handicap
    9
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    9,156
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    6,217
    Thanked in
    3,522 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ohthehumanity View Post
    Hey Kevin.

    My gamer is a Ping G at 10.5 with an Alta 55 reg shaft shortened to 44 inches.

    These are the numbers....

    AOA +0.3
    Swing Dir 0.9
    Club Path 0.6
    Face angle 0.0
    Launch Ang 13.8
    Spin Rate 3463
    Carry 197.8
    Total 217.3
    Club Speed 90.3
    Ball Speed 129.9
    There's an efficiency loss there somewhere. Basically with the new driver and a shaft 1 1/2" longer, you gained 1.4mph club speed, but only 0.4mph ball speed. Most likely due to quality of the strike (more offcenter hits.) This took you from a 1.43 smash factor on your old driver to a 1.41 with the new one. There should be some tweaks with the new setup they can do to get some of that efficiency back.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Speedback F9 Avalanche 10.5, GD Tour AD BB 6X shaft
    Speedback 3w 14.5, PX HZRDUS Black 6.5
    816 H1 21*, Fuji Motore 9.2X
    Z565 5-PW, PX LZ 6.5 Shafts
    RTX3 Tour Raw 50, 56, 60, Tour 130x
    Fastback+ Tour 34", original CT Pistolero grip
    Handcrafted Experience 2016 with
    and THP
    THP Regional Rivalry: SoCal vs Norcal 2017
    2018 with THP,
    and Jamie Sadlowski

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to kevin81002 For This Useful Post:

    ohthehumanity (04-15-2019)

  15. #12

    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    13
    Member
    52519
    Handicap
    24 Grint
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    0
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    9
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ohthehumanity View Post
    It weird JB, I just couldn't hit the Cobra or the EF flush as it seemed that I was hitting everything off the heel, but as soon as I got the Ping into my hands I was hitting it well. I am gaming a Ping G driver right now which is shortened to 44 inches and I hit it well on the course, but I would like to grab some more distance from my drives so I am trying every which way to do so, and a new driver that is fit to me is my hope of grabbing those extra yards.

    My #s of my Ping G with Alta 55 reg shaft are as follows....


    AOA +0.3
    Swing Dir 0.9
    Club Path 0.6
    Face angle 0.0
    Launch Ang 13.8
    Spin Rate 3463
    Carry 197.8
    Total 217.3
    Club Speed 90.3
    Ball Speed 129.9
    You are not the only one. I actually fit into a G410 Plus with Even Flow Black 75 6.5. I was hopeful for the Epic Flash but could not get the club face to square. I overdrew the ball more than anything. The G410 and Even Flow gave me the most consistency and best numbers, the feel was superb, but average spin was just over 2300 but I loved the ball flight.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •