Can you score when one facet of your game deserts you?

OITW

Reaction score
I played last Saturday and my Woods/Hybrid absolutely deserted me and I shot a painful 97.

My question is how strong are the other facets of your game if one area (off the tee, putting, short game, approach, bunker play, etc...) is missing for an entire round are you able to post (what you consider) a respectable score?

This is tough for me, because my putting and short game was pretty strong, however I was putting myself in some very difficult positions where I wasn't able to recover.

I played last Saturday and my Woods/Hybrid absolutely deserted me and I shot a painful 97.

My question is how strong are the other facets of your game if one area (off the tee, putting, short game, approach, bunker play, etc...) is missing for an entire round are you able to post (what you consider) a respectable score?

This is tough for me, because my putting and short game was pretty strong, however I was putting myself in some very difficult positions where I wasn't able to recover.

As long as my putting and short game are strong, I rarely shoot above 80. However, if I'm not making putts, or putting it close to the hole when I miss a green, my score can jump up to the mid-high 80's.

Depends on which part of the game it is. If i cant get off the tee im almost doomed

Depends on which part of the game it is. If i cant get off the tee im almost doomed

I agree with this. If I can't get off the tee then I won't be able to score. I'll either be taking penalties or to far back to have a realistic chance of hitting the green.

Concur with Philly about getting off the tee. Typically if driver is struggling I can pull the Mini and that helps gets thing under control.

Ultimately though, I don't have one part of my game missing for an entire round. Instead I have some aspect of my game disappear on 15 of 18 holes. Hahaha

I think as long as you can chip and putt. You should be able to shot a respectable score for your skill level.

It depends on what goes, and how bad it goes. If, for example, my drives are missing the fairway constantly, but I'm in play and my irons and putting are decent, I can definitely put up a respectable score. If my tee game has completely taken a bath though and I'm taking penalties, it's really difficult for me to recover.

Depends on which part. Most I would say yes, but if my putting goes all hope is lost.

If you can get up and down ....you can miss every green and shoot a pretty good score. Any hack can hit a crappy drive, knock and iron up by the green somewhere and get up and down. now if you pile up the penalty strokes thats another story.

Typically, if my putter and my irons cooperate, I can navigate through one or two other issues and shoot something respectable.

For me, it's pretty rare for everything to be working at once.

It seems like at least one party of my game always deserts me.... No matter what fails me or doesn't for that matter, I seem to end up between 83-87. I need to figure out how to get over the hump consistently.

I can't score when all facets of my game are on.

That's a lie, because it never happens.

if the other areas of my game are strong, sure. But that rarely happens. I've had good scoring rounds(for me) when my driver is off. But when my short game or putting is off, forget about it.

I can get away with losing almost anything except putting. Gotta be able to get the ball in the hole. For me personally if I lose anything, it's a meltdown with my driver. It gets parked in the bag and I'll go 3W for the rest of the round.

Like some others have said, it depends on what part of my game is off. Usually I can get by with a shaky tee game if my wedges and putter are on. If my wedges and putter are off though, then it's going to be a long day.

If I'm struggling off the tee my irons and short game have to be on but I can usually survive the round and come out ok but will be higher than I like.

I find that driver is much more penal when it is off as compared to short game. If I am really off w driver, both penalty strokes and distance loss (from hitting hybrid/iron off the tee) kill my score.
An off day putting may result in 5 or 6 strokes. Short game about the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^^^^^this^^^^^

I've resorted to a 4i off the tee before and played/scored really well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

depends just how bad any of it is.
Doesn't do one any good to get near a green and then cant finish. But also doesnt do any good to get near a green and already be hitting 5, 6 , or whatever more etc....
Bottom line is that when any part is off one must then be that much better at everything else. And the worse off the failing part gets, the more demand for the rest to be even better if one still wants to score. But when something is really bad? your just not going to score well.

This describes me to a "T", and it's something I started working-on last season (improved my putting a good bit), but really need to make strides in my short game this season to see more consistent scoring, and to give myself a chance to score when the tee game isn't on point.

Right now my iron game is terrible, but my driver and short game/wedges/chipping has help limit the damage.

A good example was last Sunday on a par 4, Hit a nice drive, was about 160 out from the green and I duffed my 8 Iron and left it about 80 yards short. Hit a nice 58 wedge, and 1 putted from about 5 feet away. This happened a few times where the wedge gave me a few 1 putts to help "limit" the damage.

As with most I can depending on what's off. If I have a bad day with the putter, I don't think anything can help! Driver or irons, I can scrape something together but not the putter!

For me a good short game day can make up for everything but the worst day from the tee. However, a good short game day never makes me excited for another round, but a good day from the tee and with the irons will have me giddy to get back out there.

Typically don't drop off more than 3 shots off my norm when one part of my game is non-existent. Another part of my game typically steps it up to keep the score from spiraling out of control.

More often than not yes I can. If one facet of my game leaves me I can keep it right around my HC. Though there are some days I don't feel like I'm doing anything pourly and just can't score. Those rounds are probably my worst scores I post. That's the game of golf that we all love.

Back