Goodbye to an old friend

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
It took me a while to decide it was time to post this. A few people already know, but I feel it's time to share with the entire forum.

About 6 weeks ago our dog Bandit (his story is here: P.S.A.: For post 2000 I was told to do something good) simply, put, totally blew out his knee and we had to put him down. The prednisone he was on for over a year took it's toll on his joints and surgery was out of the question since his ITP would likely come back if we went with that option. We took him to MedVet and had them look at him, after going over everything, we decided it was time. Tara, our other dog, was already there, as she had pretty much decided she was going to every checkup since last October, so the whole family was in the room.

I hadn't updated the previously mentioned thread in a while, because there just wasn't a lot to report. His platelet count fluctuated, but he never got sick again and we were just resigned to the fact he'd be on meds the rest of his life. That morning, he started limping again and couldn't make it up the deck stairs, so we knew something wasn't good. We took him in, made our decision and we all met up in one of the exam rooms. They gave us time to say goodbye and then the doctor came in with the shots. If you've never had a dog put to sleep, it's not bad at all. Very surreal and peaceful. It's the hardest thing I have ever done, as all my other dogs died in their sleep. He wasn't in pain, because they basically numbed his leg so he couldn't feel it. The first shot just puts them in a deep sleep. Bandit was actually snoring. The doctor left the room for about 10 or 15 minutes and then came back and asked if we were ready. Then the second shot stops the heart. Our boy was gone and was finally OK again. I truly believe we'll all meet up again down the road. Tara even climbed up on the table and walked all over Bandit (one last time!) and sniffed him, so she knew what went down. She has been obviously sad, but has not gone looking around for him around the house.

The people at the clinic were awesome. One of them made us a plaster print of one of Bandit's paws (like the hand print you made when you were a little kid). It took me a couple of weeks before I could read the card the great folks at MedVet sent us, as a lot of people involved in his care wrote a little something. And it turns out that our vet does the cremations for MedVet, so any fears that we were going to just get a bunch of ashes, which may or may not have been our dog were taken care of. We got his ashes back and we are going to put half of them in our backyard here and the other half wherever we wind up in California, if and when that move takes place, hopefully this summer.

Thanks to the great people at THP who sent us a get well package about a year ago. He never got to really enjoy the toys, but his sister did, and she thanks you as well!

Dogsandweather06070-2.jpg
Dogsandweather06050-1-1.jpg
DSCF3223-2.jpg

Now, there has to be a little bit of good in all of this right? Last Saturday we adopted a new baby brother for Tara. She has not been the same and frankly, neither have we. We logically should have waited until we move to do this, but when the time is right, the time is right. Pics of the new puppy will be coming shortly, but he looks similar to the K9 Advantix puppy. He's just nine weeks old now and he is half yellow lab and we think, half golden retriever. We just started calling him Charlie and the name kinda stuck. Tara took a few days to get used to him but they play together some (as well as possible considering the size difference at the moment!)and she's even allowing him to lean up against her to sleep. He mastered going up the stairs on Tuesday and figured out going down them on Friday. More on him later.

We spent a lot of money on Bandit, more than I ever thought I would spend on a dog. Luckily for us, we don't have kids that we are saving to put through college, so our dogs are our kids. Unfortunately we didn't have insurance on him, so it cost quite a lot. We got insurance for Tara right after this happened and have our application in on Charlie. If I had gotten the insurance when I first thought about it, the total cost would have been between 15 and 20 percent of what it was.

If you have pets, get pet insurance. It's less than $275 a year for each of our dogs. We use VPI Pet Insurance.

sorry to hear about that... my pets are my family... it would devastate me to lose one

Sorry for you loss Smallie. The pet insurance is great advice. I have friends who have pets and they swear by it and for the same reason you mentioned...a heck of a savings. Enjoy the new puppy and it sounds like Tara is really being a big sister.

Sorry to hear, Smallville.

Very tough. My condolences.

Enjoy the new puppy.

Kevin

sorry for your loss smallie...

i lost my best friend in 2004 after 13 years. i too, had to put her down. unfortunatley, she suffered tremendously leading up to it. it was the most excruciating thing i have ever had to go through. but solace comes when you know they are no longer suffering...

and those new pups always bring smiles and happy reminders. and little steaming piles of doo.

sorry to hear this smalls, sounds like ole Bandit will be sorely missed. glad to hear you have other dogs to love. we lost our black lab Sammi to cancer year before last. she was with me for 13 years, old girl and I went thru alot together but like SD said they are in better places now and pain free.

Sorry to hear this Smalls. Having a dog as part of our family I could not bear the thought of losing ours. We have researched VPI and when the time is right we will get it. I love your choice of names Smalls. Our Shih Tzu's name is Charlie as well.

sorry smalls. i got choked up looking at this. i cant imagine how you felt

Smalls, I am so sorry to hear about you friend. I went through the same with my dog when I was younger and I know the pain you felt. I am glad to hear you have a new one to bring you all joy and great to hear Tara has accepted him and they play together.

Sorry to hear Smalls. Good luck with the new pup. Letting go is always so hard.

Sorry for your loss Smallville.

I have plenty of pets, and our family is so attached to them that any time one dies (only happened once), we're absolutely torn.

I'm sure the new puppy will ease it a bit.

Sorry to hear that, smalls. Take care.

I myself am a dog person, I actually teared up reading your story. I don't know what I'd do if we had to make the decision you had to make. Your right he's in a better place now. My condolances are with your family.

Re: Goodbye to an old friend

I am so sorry Smalls. I went through the same thing with my first puppy. We will have to take them to play together when we meet them again.

Sorry for your loss Smally. From the pictures he looks like a great buddy and close part of the family. I've shown a few pictures of my "Old Bill", who we had to put down a while back. I had him from a pup and at 15 he simply could not go on. Your post brings back extreme memories, we'll suffice to say I understand where you at. I hope the new pup gets in to lot's of mischief and you guy's enjoy all his adventures.

really sorry for your loss smalls. pets, and dogs in particular, are so incredibly loyal. that's what makes going through what you and your family have gone through so difficult. i hope that the new puppy brings a lot of joy and smiles to the smallville home.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

-- Author Unknown

Thanks for the update, Smallie. I'm glad you got the new puppy.

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Kelly & I have a sweet old Collie dog named Missy who is very close to the same condition. It will be hard to let her go. Animals are so special and the good memories will always be there for you.

Very sorry to hear that Smallie. I hope your friend rests well.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.

The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

-- Author Unknown

Very nice, btw.

So sorry to hear about this Smalls. Sounds like you lost a great companion in Bandit. I am glad to hear that Charlie will be blessed with a great home and big sister!

Sorry for the loss of Bandit...and congrats for adding Charlie to your family. Our first and only dog, Milo is getting along in age (8 years now), but luckily he's been very healthy.

Thanks everyone. We'll always miss our baby boy. I don't think I mentioned that he was only seven, which makes it harder since he wasn't even near old yet. Liked the poem vicar, I ran across that one in 2003 when Toby died. There's tons of those if you want a good cry!

Sneak peek of Charlie:

702d21b9.jpg
856f79a2.jpg

Back