Golf Fashionista
Reaction score
Handicap
Decreasing
LW are normally 60*
SW at 56*
GW between 50*-54*
PW between 45*-48*

Is this how it is? Where would an AW fit in, between a PW and a 9-iron? So you would find a GP that has a loft greater than 55* and the same for the other wedges as well?

They are all over the map. Different for every manufacturer. Most companies are now making wedges in every 2* increments to help players find what is best fit for them.

I thought that these were standard, so I guess it just depends on what you want and who makes them...

I thought that these were standard, so I guess it just depends on what you want and who makes them...

I think up until a few years ago, they were standard. 60* still may be pretty standard for a lob wedge, but many are going to 58*.

56* seems to be fairly standard for a SW, but a lot use 54*.

LW are normally 60*
SW at 56*
GW between 50*-54*
PW between 45*-48*

Is this how it is? Where would an AW fit in, between a PW and a 9-iron? So you would find a GP that has a loft greater than 55* and the same for the other wedges as well?

I think you're right - there are no standards. 20 years ago a pitching wedge was 48*. Now gap wedges are at 48* or 49*.

BTW, Approach Wedge = Gap Wedge, so a AW would fit in between PW and SW.

I think you're right - there are no standards. 20 years ago a pitching wedge was 48*. Now gap wedges are at 48* or 49*.

BTW, Approach Wedge = Gap Wedge, so a AW would fit in between PW and SW.

So they're used interchangeable, see...you DO learn something new everyday :D

if you're feeling spicy, the AW can also mean "attack wedge"

Some manufactures use different lettering for the same club.

AW,GW and DW are all the same club

if you're feeling spicy, the AW can also mean "attack wedge"

I could also mean apathetic wedge. When you just don't care any more. :D

Back