Srixon Z 545 Irons Preview

I sold my set of these last year because of the weight of the club after adding an inch in length to fit me. The swing weight was E2 and they felt like I was swinging telephone poles! Crazily, I'm back in ponder with these after some tweets back and forth with UST. I had asked if there was any way to take a club down from E2 to D6 still having the extra inch of length. They replied that going with a shaft in the 100-102 range and adding 24g of weight to the butt end would do it. So, here I am pondering going back to these! We'll see what happens, but I loved everything about these irons except the weight.

I sold my set of these last year because of the weight of the club after adding an inch in length to fit me. The swing weight was E2 and they felt like I was swinging telephone poles! Crazily, I'm back in ponder with these after some tweets back and forth with UST. I had asked if there was any way to take a club down from E2 to D6 still having the extra inch of length. They replied that going with a shaft in the 100-102 range and adding 24g of weight to the butt end would do it. So, here I am pondering going back to these! We'll see what happens, but I loved everything about these irons except the weight.

Interesting. The standard SW is D2. I wonder why yours were so heavy? I actually requested mine to be heavier in the combo set I bought. I went D3 in the 5 then D4 in the z945 short irons

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting. The standard SW is D2. I wonder why yours were so heavy? I actually requested mine to be heavier in the combo set I bought. I went D3 in the 5 then D4 in the z945 short irons

D3 on the site, but when an inch is added six points of swing weight also go up. Add the midsize grip plus 3 wraps to that and one starts to have a very heavy club! The UTx grips are 55+g and then add all of the tape... Believe me, I was shocked. I literally dropped my jaw when a builder weighed them and told me E2! If anyone ever wants to get a club at E2 to try, I'd love to hear thoughts!!!

The clubs finally arrived today! Yay! Just as the weather has cleared up and I'm going to be stuck at a show for the next 3 days... :banghead:

Also they kindly came with the blue and black Golf Pride New Decade grips rather than the black and white I'd ordered. :bad: Apparently they didn't have the others in stock and the Pro shop figured I wouldn't want to wait! Thanks for asking! :D Still look ok, just a bit blingy in combo with the red KBS Tour 110 stickers! They do at least seem to be flatter and 1/4" shorter than my Razr's so looks like they took the inch off and flattened 1 degree - now I just need to get out and play them! I'm hoping Wednesday, that weather better hold! :)

Last edited:
D3 on the site, but when an inch is added six points of swing weight also go up. Add the midsize grip plus 3 wraps to that and one starts to have a very heavy club! The UTx grips are 55+g and then add all of the tape... Believe me, I was shocked. I literally dropped my jaw when a builder weighed them and told me E2! If anyone ever wants to get a club at E2 to try, I'd love to hear thoughts!!!

Those would be hefty even for me haha

The clubs finally arrived today! Yay! Just as the weather has cleared up and I'm going to be stuck at a show for the next 3 days... :banghead:

Also they kindly came with the blue and black Golf Pride New Decade grips rather than the black and white I'd ordered. :bad: Apparently they didn't have the others in stock and the Pro shop figured I wouldn't want to wait! Thanks for asking! :D Still look ok, just a bit blingy in combo with the red KBS Tour 110 stickers! They do at least seem to be flatter and 1/4" shorter than my Razr's so looks like they took the inch off and flattened 1 degree - now I just need to get out and play them! I'm hoping Wednesday, that weather better hold! :)

Enjoy and be sure to tell us what you think!

I was set to getting the Z355 irons as my iron game is in a rutt these days, when suddenly I saw a really good deal on a set of Z545. Logically, the Z355 should be the more forgiving out of the 2 irons right? But comparing the specs, the only thing going for the Z355 is the slightly more offset and the action mass thingy. The overall size and loft on the spec sheet are exactly the same. I also kinda like the fact that Z545 is forged and has tungsten toe weighting on its longer irons. To anyone who's hit both irons, is there a noticable difference in terms of forgiveness (loss of distance on miss hit and dispersion)? Ultimately I want the most forgiving iron out of the two but if the difference is too minute, I'd give the Z545 a try. Am I missing something or should I pay a bit more for the newer Z355?

p.s. Both of these irons are not available for demo where I live.

Hopefully i can help.. i have never hit the 355, but do play the 545's. I came from the Callaway XR's (reg, not pro) and the 545's are easier to hit at least for me. And no one will say the XR's aren't forgiving. I have read about the 355's and like you don't see much difference other than looks, offset and materials. Personally if the 545's are cheaper go that route. They are a beautiful forged iron. I got mine with the DG300 shaft. I love the weighting of the 545 with this shaft. You can feel the head thru the entire swing. Before these irons i never worked the ball with them, i have been successful on occasion doing so.

Ddec has gamed or hit both. While the z545 are terrifically forgiving for their profile, I'm pretty sure he found the 355 more forgiving.

Ddec has gamer or hit both. While the z545 are terrifically forgiving for their profile, I'm pretty sure he found the 355 more forgiving.

I sure did. Thought the change to the V sole was for the better. 355's for me were more forgiving and I played both sets for at least a month. Both are long irons in terms of distance. I think the 355 is one of the better iron releases for the year. They fly higher than the 545's did for me. Looks go to 545, forgiveness edge goes to 355.

I sure did. Thought the change to the V sole was for the better. 355's for me were more forgiving and I played both sets for at least a month. Both are long irons in terms of distance. I think the 355 is one of the better iron releases for the year. They fly higher than the 545's did for me. Looks go to 545, forgiveness edge goes to 355.

Glad my memory served me right haha

you aren't the old yet, your memory is still sharp

HA! Getting there but I usually remember awesome golf equipment and people

Would it be fair to compare Z545 to Ping I and Z355 to Ping G in terms for forgiveness and flight?

Would it be fair to compare Z545 to Ping I and Z355 to Ping G in terms for forgiveness and flight?

I think the 545 is better in terms of speed retention than the i series.

Well I finally got my first round (well, 9-hole) in with the new clubs! Conditions not great, 8 degrees C (46 F), a little damp and pretty windy. Being the first round I've played in months it took some time to get back into it, given that I'm around 20 handicap too!

Performance-wise I'm finding the Z545's pretty similar to my Razr X irons in terms of distance and forgiveness (those were very forgiving clubs too), they certainly look nicer and more compact though! I hit a lot of very fat shots in the first half of the round, not helped by the soft ground. It feels as though the -1/2" off the shaft and 1 degree flat wasn't quite enough to be honest, I think at least 1" and 2 degrees seems more suited as my best hits still come choking down a bit, the clubs not feeling quite as right as I'd hoped at address after a fitting and a bit "toe-up" (admittedly it was guesswork from the fitter as to what adjustments to make as they had no gear in the proposed specs). That said, I got away with a couple of (very) heel and toe shots - and as I started to hit them well I really felt the benefit, the soft feel and lovely "thwack" was very rewarding when I hit them clean! Great rising, penetrating flight too, compared to the high arc of the Razr's.

Due to the conditions and my lack of practice it's hard to have a solid opinion on how much better/worse they are other than how much nicer they feel on the good shots, you can also tell when you've hit a bad one but aren't punished too much (unless really bad which I had my share of today!), I'm hoping to get out again tomorrow and Saturday to groove my game back in...

I do need to stop watching Hogan videos in the off-season and accept that I'm an arm swinger who doesn't hit it far! :D But when my game's good it's always on the fairway and greens at least, dead straight! When I tried the full hip turn and dropping club into slot it really worked on my first drive... and never again this round. :D Still, as it came together I managed a couple of pars and a bogey in the last three - would have been interesting to judge the spin on the good hits but they were literally half-burying themselves in the greens so going nowhere! Looking forward to the next round, especially now I've shaken some of the rust off!

My second set of these is now ordered. With help from UST figuring out shaft weight and counter weighting, I shouldn't experience the issue with E2 swing weight this time. Looking forward to having these back in the bag again!!!!

I've just received my Z545 AW-5 irons today. These are by far the prettiest set of irons I've ever owned. I haven't had the chanced to hit the range yet but I hope these play as good as it looks.

If you mean as a way to understand the differentiation of product lines by forgiveness and playing characteristics, yes.

If you mean as a way to understand the differentiation of product lines by forgiveness and playing characteristics, yes.

Having owned the G25's for a few years, the Z's are on another planet and a far better planet. I know the g25 isn't the I series, but honestly can't see how much difference there is in the I series as far as forgiveness.

Having owned the G25's for a few years, the Z's are on another planet and a far better planet. I know the g25 isn't the I series, but honestly can't see how much difference there is in the I series as far as forgiveness.
I agree. That's what I was trying to say - I don't think you can really compare the clubs.

The 545s, from a ball speed on mishits standpoint, are probably a bit more forgiving than the i series. At the same time, the i series is probably a bit better on the thin miss for me. The comparison of the two sets is interesting - there are some things I think stand out in one set relative to the other.

As for the G series vs. 545/355 - I think "better" is a matter of personal preference, and is probably going to be dependent on a player's miss and what they're looking for in an iron.

I've played all three, and I'd say that the forgiveness (in terms of ball speed retention) of the 545s sits right between the G series and i series. However, if you're looking for help with launch, the i25 seems to get up in the air better for me, especially on a thin miss.

The 545s, from a ball speed on mishits standpoint, are probably a bit more forgiving than the i series. At the same time, the i series is probably a bit better on the thin miss for me. The comparison of the two sets is interesting - there are some things I think stand out in one set relative to the other.

As for the G series vs. 545/355 - I think "better" is a matter of personal preference, and is probably going to be dependent on a player's miss and what they're looking for in an iron.

I've played all three, and I'd say that the forgiveness (in terms of ball speed retention) of the 545s sits right between the G series and i series. However, if you're looking for help with launch, the i25 seems to get up in the air better for me, especially on a thin miss.

I noticed the same forgiveness on thin hits with my I20 as well. I didn't find that was particularly important for me personally because my misses with the iron is usually the dreaded fat and duff shots. I chose to give the Z545 a try mainly because of the VT sole. Oh and did I mentioned they hot super sexy? ��

I noticed the same forgiveness on thin hits with my I20 as well. I didn't find that was particularly important for me personally because my misses with the iron is usually the dreaded fat and duff shots. I chose to give the Z545 a try mainly because of the VT sole. Oh and did I mentioned they hot super sexy? ��

I'm not sure that I've seen a club be better on a fat miss at that profile/size than the 545s.

I'm not sure that I've seen a club be better on a fat miss at that profile/size than the 545s.

To be honest, I bought the Z545s based on your opinions and other feedback from this thread. I've had a range session today (on mats though) and these irons gets the ball up in the air very easily. I lose only around 5 meters on toe hits which is awesome for an iron with quite a compact blade length. This iron is awesome off the shelf for me. Imagine how deadly these irons will be if I got fitted properly.

Back