The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
After getting the call to attend Club Clash yesterday, decided I needed to work with the driver some on the range today.
Started with the wedges though, and they are coming along pretty well. Making better contact and getting the ball higher, which is what I've needed.
When I started working with the driver, I was driving it extremely low. Adjusted the loft up slightly, but that really didn't help. Decided to try the 3w and see how I was hitting that.
Practicing with the 3w felt great. I never swing it on the range, so this was fun. Started hitting high bombs with it. Felt nothing like how I was hitting the driver. After about 10 balls, I switched back to the driver. Started hitting them better, but it will require a few more range sessions to get the swing with the driver to feel like the swing with that 3w.

Hit my first bucket of balls today. Man I got some rust I need to knock off but all in all I think it was a good first trip out. I really hit more straight than I expected. I did find that I am not sure if I like my new set of grips. The club is spinning in my hand though its just a little bit. I like to keep a lighter grip so thats part of it. but all in all I think it was a good way to end the day.

I was able to sneak in some minor range time and "18 holes" on a Simulator this last Tuesday night while in Wichita. I had 3 bad shots, the rest where in acceptable range of minor misses that I might see during a round. The best part was how SOLID all of my shots where. I was seeing numbers that had me having to ask myself, "Is this inflating my distances?". I played 18 at Kapalua Plantation Course, from the tips. I made two birdies, but one of those was because it would give you any shot inside 6 foot, which I did once on a Par 4 from 138 yards. The other was on a Par 5 that I got home in two on. Putting is a joke on these things. lol

Now that the temperature finally got warm, after two weeks off I went to the driving range today. I suck. I mean I really suck. It's going to be a long summer. 30 HC here I come.

Had a solid range session today preparing for tomorrow's round. Hit about 70 wedge shots in the short game area, and hit about 40 on the range. I have a little issue staying down through the shot which causes a topped ball, so the main thing is I need to consciously stay down. Tempo is key too. When those two things came together, I was hitting it magnificently. Nice high baby fades with the long clubs and straight to slight draws with the shorter ones. Just love the feel and performance of these DF's!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

i SO BADLY wanted to hit my irons with the new shafts, but i'm just not feeling 100% yet and didn't want to push myself. so i grabbed my 56 and a half dozen #thpballerstatus b330s balls and worked on chips and pitches. these balls are so freaking sweet, and the md3 seems to really like them. probably the best short game session i've had since bagging the md3s. i'm pumped about tomorrow's round, just hoping my cold gets a bit better.

Well, I'm not ready to quit the game just yet.

My goal today was to figure out the cause of lost and inconsistent distance with irons. Mission accomplished - I'm pretty inconsistent with impact point on the club face. Ball striking wasn't horrible - nearly every ball would have been playable - but it isn't where it needs to be, either. Time for some work.

Solid work with chipping with flat faced clubs today. Really improved my up and down percentage!

With all of the rain my range is only open to 150 yards so I hit my 9 iron through wedges. I still don't have that swing feel that is second nature, so I probably need to schedule another lesson soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chipping and putting today at a local course.
Want to cut strokes down around the greens and on them as well.

Did the range today, 100 ball bucket. Had the ProTracer app going on the phone, so I may be actually getting some accurate distances on my clubs. Going to do it a few more times to average out the numbers, but will at least have some idea.

I made a grip change, choking down to the end of the grip to see what would happen, and had a lot of clean consistent contact. Distances weren't great, but I will take a clean straight ball over a longer wayward-er ball anytime.

Just started a grip change today. Making sure my top hand's thumb is staying fully tucked. Hitting a lot of balls both ways right now and just need to grind through it, gonna try to hit 1000+ balls a week. One of the hardest changes I've ever had to deal with by far.

Will be traveling this week, but when I get back I'm hoping to work on posture and arm extension through impact. Our little HOTD video from yesterday showed that I've lapsed in those areas recently, so it's time for some work. Distance is actually solid right now, so I can only imagine I stand quite a bit to possibly gain if I can get these two things figured.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

about 30 minutes of practice putting today. i couldn't miss! there was a women's college tournament at the course today, and it felt kinda good to be going draino all over the place with these girls around who could wipe the floor with me. i'm not sure why it was going so well, other than i was really focusing on trying to keep my left shoulder square at address instead of pulling my shoulders closed.

Went to the putting green for about half an hour during my lunch break. It was a so-so session. Messed around with left-hand low for a bit. Spent most of my time working on 10 footers and in.

I think I've finally hit enough practice pitches this early season to finally get some feel. More work to do, of course, but better!

Short 45 min range session after dinner. Goal was to work on the changes from my lesson to help get the club face square at impact. Swing results were acceptable with mid irons and the push miss wasn't really there which was nice to see.

with the driver it's still a work in progress but the push miss was reduced a little and turned into a fade but that was swing issues with coming out of my swing and a few ott. Also caught myself falling into an old habit and caused some snap hooks.

overall I was satisfied with the session and know I still need work to so on these changes.

Hit about 50 balls tonight working on slowing down the back swing. After that felt good pitched another 50 balls with the pw, aw, 56 and 60 all to the same yardage. Flighting them up and down

Had a really solid range session tonight and worked my way around a course mentally a few times.
I tried to put ZERO focus on my swing and focus on playing the course instead and it went well.

I don't know what it is but I'm making really solid contact through the bag and I'm starting to put some wear on the sweet spots for once.

Spent a great deal of time... 3 large buckets, on the range today. Most of that time was working with my favorite club.... 3 wood, and mostly working on hitting a controlled draw. In the end I managed to hit 84/90 fairly accurately and all between 185 and 220 yards, The real test will come when I try and do this on the golf course.

final week of sim league was last night. Was talking with one of the assistant pro's that works at the place about the golf swing. Someone told him it looks like he swings so easily, and he responded by saying he swings just as hard as the next guy, it's just his transition(and most of the transitions of really good players) is a bit softer and smoother. Spent some time before the 1st hole working on just that. I know my transition is one that is very quick, the longer the club the quicker it gets. Anyway worked on that and what felt like a softer move at the top and the results I was seeing were very good. One big miss to the right and 2 pulls, but outside of those the results were fairly consistent. Something to work on going forward and with some rounds scheduled this weekend, it will be interesting to see if it translates to the course.

final week of sim league was last night. Was talking with one of the assistant pro's that works at the place about the golf swing. Someone told him it looks like he swings so easily, and he responded by saying he swings just as hard as the next guy, it's just his transition(and most of the transitions of really good players) is a bit softer and smoother. Spent some time before the 1st hole working on just that. I know my transition is one that is very quick, the longer the club the quicker it gets. Anyway worked on that and what felt like a softer move at the top and the results I was seeing were very good. One big miss to the right and 2 pulls, but outside of those the results were fairly consistent. Something to work on going forward and with some rounds scheduled this weekend, it will be interesting to see if it translates to the course.

I have similar swing and go thru the quick/fast transition as the clubs get longer. What are something's your are working on to help with this?

I had a "lunch meeting" today... I met with a large bucket at the range instead of sitting at my desk eating leftovers. It was quite a productive meeting, I tell you.

Out of the whole bucket, I had 3 undeniably fat shots where sod went everywhere - 2 with irons, one with driver. But that was it. Really focusing on my left hip to start the downswing and not thinking "OK here's where I'm feeling my weight on the backswing, now I have to start shifting it here then HERE" is making my swings a lot more relaxed.

Likewise with not forcing that straight left arm. My swings are starting to feel a lot more flowing and relaxed, which I also find is helping with the weight shift.

I absolutely pounded a number of drives today. Lost a few right and hooked one badly but I know exactly why it happened.

Ended by playing a 9 hole round, hitting shots as I would have at my now closed home course since I know that layout by heart. That's two sessions in a row that I've left with a smile on my face, I hope it continues!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back