Can you score when one facet of your game deserts you?

Like some other have said - if I can't get off the tee, my round is going to be a long one.

Yes we all have those days were we are terrible from tee to green. I still contend that your chipping and putting can allow you to shot a respectable score for your given skill level.

Let me try to explain it like this. If a players average score is 85 and normally this player has 47 shots tee to green and 38 putts. There maybe days where this player has 60 shots tee to green and 30 putts. I would say a score of 90 for this player would be a respectable score.

Would this be a recipe for success, no but for one round here or there. It is possible to salvage a terrible ball sticking round with a hot putter.

But in your example your are giving the player much better than average putting day via 8 strokes (or putts) vs his normal 8 strokes higher of 38. That is a lot to ask for. Putting 8 strokes below his average is not simply "being able to putt" for that individual but it is putting exceptionally well for him/her. So putting his average (which is not bad for him but normal for him) leaves him with a 98 and no longer that decent round and it wasn't because he didn't putt his average but because he didn't hit his average tee to green.

But also, if such a player falls apart tee and on through it can certainly cost more than just 13 strokes imo and quite frankly from my own lol experiences :( Lets take his 14 longer tee shots (excluding of course the par3's) and while his tee game deserted him end up badly screwing up 50%. And a few to several of those are errant too. That's 6 or 7 strokes and if just 2 of them (just to be lenient) are lost or OOB or whatever that's another 2 plus distance so that's like another 2 and that is assuming one of those doesn't go errant and get slopped up some how. So that's 10 strokes with potential for more right there as he is only hitting about 50% and all this is only from the tees and even while he is still making 50% good shots.

Then we have all the recovery (and/or second) shots from those poor tee shots and we are only assuming he/she makes those but remember his longer game is deserting him so there again are sure to be some more strokes from all those poor ones to add up. Now lets add in his longer approaches and longer irons in general. Since his poorer tee shots left a lot of distance he now has even more longer iron (or hybrid) shots than he normally would have but remember his longer game is only offering 50% so now add all those poor strokes and the recoveries from them too and basically the whole tee scenario is repeated for not only those few/several extra added longer shots but those are actually in addition to the usual amount of longer ones he would normally have had to take. All of which is not working today. One who averages 85 who has a day where his long game has deserted him can be way over 13 strokes more than average. From what I just laid out he/she even if at 50% can easily be 20 strokes through 18 holes even while hitting 50% good.

And we (at least me and you in this debate) are talking tee through green (or least till close enough to green) so its not just tee and long second shots but also approaches and medium iron play in general. So lets add in the same with the mid range approaches and slop up the course when that part of ones game is also at 50%. How many more strokes to add on top of the long games misery? who even knows. So one who shoots 85 can imo easily be at 105+ and even with your given much better than normal putting which saved 8 strokes it still leaves him without a respectable round (even for him). And we didn't even technically add in that medium range iron approach play.

You see, the definition of bad (or a deserted portion of ones) game is very different for one who still can stay in play and also be at some reasonable yardage per shot when their game or part of it deserts them. For a lot of mid (like your 85 player) and especially higher cappers the damage cause by a desertion of a tee game and/or approach game can be so very detrimental where even an average or above average chip/putting game cannot always still save a respectable score even at their relative average play. . Its all very dependent on what many here are saying and that is it all depends on just how bad the bad gets. And in general the higher the caps get, the more worse the bad gets. It does and can get where its not really savable to still score a reasonable round just because ones putting and chipping didn't also desert him. I think your underestimating the cost of a poor tee game and/or also a poor iron game to a mid and higher capper. It can be a whole lot worse stroke wise than what your thinking.

My tee game deserts me often... but luckily I have decent luck hitting out from under trees and rough. I wouldn't say I score...but I hold things together.

I feel like my game is well rounded enough to where one facet leaving me for the round would not destroy my game. However, if I drive the ball much worse than normal, or if I have no touch on chips and pitches, it would effect my scores more than any other aspect.

My tee game deserts me often... but luckily I have decent luck hitting out from under trees and rough. I wouldn't say I score...but I hold things together.

Yes, by spending too many years being errant often enough one does then by default get good practice at certain recovery shots...lol
I can usually get out and somewhat up the fairway from inside/under a tree canopy as long as I have a lane of course

It's really hard to score when part of your game just leaves you for a day. It's not impossible though. I did something like the OP once, had one of the worst rounds of golf in years, was looking at a score in the 90's and I still had one birdie on the day.

But in your example your are giving the player much better than average putting day via 8 strokes (or putts) vs his normal 8 strokes higher of 38. That is a lot to ask for. Putting 8 strokes below his average is not simply "being able to putt" for that individual but it is putting exceptionally well for him/her. So putting his average (which is not bad for him but normal for him) leaves him with a 98 and no longer that decent round and it wasn't because he didn't putt his average but because he didn't hit his average tee to green.

But also, if such a player falls apart tee and on through it can certainly cost more than just 13 strokes imo and quite frankly from my own lol experiences :( Lets take his 14 longer tee shots (excluding of course the par3's) and while his tee game deserted him end up badly screwing up 50%. And a few to several of those are errant too. That's 6 or 7 strokes and if just 2 of them (just to be lenient) are lost or OOB or whatever that's another 2 plus distance so that's like another 2 and that is assuming one of those doesn't go errant and get slopped up some how. So that's 10 strokes with potential for more right there as he is only hitting about 50% and all this is only from the tees and even while he is still making 50% good shots.

Then we have all the recovery (and/or second) shots from those poor tee shots and we are only assuming he/she makes those but remember his longer game is deserting him so there again are sure to be some more strokes from all those poor ones to add up. Now lets add in his longer approaches and longer irons in general. Since his poorer tee shots left a lot of distance he now has even more longer iron (or hybrid) shots than he normally would have but remember his longer game is only offering 50% so now add all those poor strokes and the recoveries from them too and basically the whole tee scenario is repeated for not only those few/several extra added longer shots but those are actually in addition to the usual amount of longer ones he would normally have had to take. All of which is not working today. One who averages 85 who has a day where his long game has deserted him can be way over 13 strokes more than average. From what I just laid out he/she even if at 50% can easily be 20 strokes through 18 holes even while hitting 50% good.

And we (at least me and you in this debate) are talking tee through green (or least till close enough to green) so its not just tee and long second shots but also approaches and medium iron play in general. So lets add in the same with the mid range approaches and slop up the course when that part of ones game is also at 50%. How many more strokes to add on top of the long games misery? who even knows. So one who shoots 85 can imo easily be at 105+ and even with your given much better than normal putting which saved 8 strokes it still leaves him without a respectable round (even for him). And we didn't even technically add in that medium range iron approach play.

You see, the definition of bad (or a deserted portion of ones) game is very different for one who still can stay in play and also be at some reasonable yardage per shot when their game or part of it deserts them. For a lot of mid (like your 85 player) and especially higher cappers the damage cause by a desertion of a tee game and/or approach game can be so very detrimental where even an average or above average chip/putting game cannot always still save a respectable score even at their relative average play. . Its all very dependent on what many here are saying and that is it all depends on just how bad the bad gets. And in general the higher the caps get, the more worse the bad gets. It does and can get where its not really savable to still score a reasonable round just because ones putting and chipping didn't also desert him. I think your underestimating the cost of a poor tee game and/or also a poor iron game to a mid and higher capper. It can be a whole lot worse stroke wise than what your thinking.

I have enjoyed this discussion, but I think we are approaching this from different angles. What you described to me sounds like someone who has completely lost his swing not someone who is simply having a bad day off the tee. I would agree that when what you describe happens there is not much that can be done to salvage the round. I would argue what you describe is an exception. Every Monday for the past 4 years I have played with a group of guys where for the majority 45 would be a career round. I can't remember any of those guys having a round like you describe.

I will stand by my initial claim that if you are having a bad day off the tee and having a good (better than average) day with chipping and putting. You can salvage your round and shoot a respectable claim.

Back