Questions for Tour Van reps

I will post a video of shafts under flex load in a roller bearing spine finder, that also reads the flex while the shaft is loaded. You will be amazed at the flex change simply by rotating the shaft.

IMO: Once you see this you will know its a BIG DEAL. Some shafts have very dominant spines, some not so much. generally 3-4 iron shafts out of 8 will have dominant spines. That is why you have some irons in your bag that are your friends, and some you don't get along with, and perhaps some that are lasers as the spine was 'randomly' set to a orientation that plays well.

It would kill OEM profits to cpm, sort, spine, Flo shafts for install, so they deny there is a factor in the first place.

So getting a shaft "Pured" should make a difference.

c.a.eletic Thank you for sharing this! It has been a blast to follow along and read through this! And some awesome insight about equipment. Thank again was an awesome read!

So getting a shaft "Pured" should make a difference.

IMO: I don't think puring has it right...they may get Flo however its S1 to target 9 o clock (rebar), unless the shaft is on the soft side for your swing, then it will deliver the club head with some more flex stability for the load. S1 to target is swinging the spine to 'exactly' square with a flippy knife edge like you see it in my roller bearings...

Last edited:
Good stuff C.A.

I always wondered if Staffers messed around with trying different shafts or if they simply just stuck with an old reliable (like Phil and his Fubuki).

How cool would it be to show up with your gamer head to a range and have 10-15 shafts to try. HEAVEN

How cool would it be to show up with your gamer head to a range and have 10-15 shafts to try. HEAVEN

Haha. Happens at every single THP Event.

Good stuff C.A.

I always wondered if Staffers messed around with trying different shafts or if they simply just stuck with an old reliable (like Phil and his Fubuki).

and a trackman. and a fitter who works with the best in the world. all the while joking around and keeping things light. so freaking fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the quality of gear available to hit at every thp event is mindblowing

With made for shafts or real deal aftermarket shafts?...if so how can you have a club clash with cheap oem shafts?

With made for shafts or real deal aftermarket shafts?...if so how can you have a club clash with cheap oem shafts?
You should come to a THP event and find out.

As to the last part, calling oem shafts cheap is beyond laughable. But we have been down this road before, and I know where it leads.

How do you let clubs out of your shop that aren't spined or pured if it's so important? Why do you let customers decline the service? Why not refuse to do work unless the customer pays for spine/pure processing? That's goes against what youre stressing here.

3848aeb7216c2658283de93a3c1f7995.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should come to a THP event and find out.

As to the last part, calling oem shafts cheap is beyond laughable. But we have been down this road before, and I know where it leads.

How about I send a custom 6i to test out?...

Here are my LM JMan now what do you think???... can't laugh at these from a 185lb/5'11"/50yr old...I pulled the oem made for shaft 665x and installed a aftermarket attas dk...this road leads to more yardage and dispersion for me...gained 15+y, and could for THP'ers too if you were open to test real deal shafts.

I am bombing it on the course watching oem jaw drops...the wanabe's go very quiet quick

Perhaps the clash is to promote oem...and nothing else?...why?

Take the challenge: Do me a favor try to beat these swing speed numbers at your Club Clash with oem/GBB.

024_zpstxafit6w.jpg

Last edited:

Here are my LM numbers laugh at these...I pulled the crappy made for 665x and installed a dk...gained 15+y

024_zpstxafit6w.jpg

So because you got better numbers with an aftermarket shaft it means all stock shafts are inferior? Unreal dude

So because you got better numbers with an aftermarket shaft it means all stock shafts are inferior? Unreal dude

Your wisdom is superior to mine sir, well done.

Let's let Club Clash unfold and all the data be sorted through, my guess is there is more than enough information for the educated consumer to be able to see what they need to see on nearly all the 2016 major OEM releases.

Questions for Tour Van reps

First off, I have almost every single major aftermarket shaft on the tour van for people to test. In fact just picked up 6 more while out in California this week. If you have not noticed in between these comments, we are partnered with every major shaft company here.

Second, let's try to keep this about the experience the THPer had rather than going down the path that seems to pop up far too often.

Nevermind, back to this awesome thread which I really have enjoyed.

Here are my LM JMan now what do you think???... can't laugh at these from a 185lb/5'11"/50yr old...I pulled the oem made for shaft 665x and installed a aftermarket attas dk...this road leads to more yardage and dispersion for me...gained 15+y, and could for THP'ers too if you were open to test real deal shafts.

I am bombing it on the course watching oem jaw drops...the wanabe's go very quiet quick

Perhaps the clash is to promote oem...and nothing else?...why?

Take the challenge: Do me a favor try to beat these swing speed numbers at your Club Clash with oem/GBB.

024_zpstxafit6w.jpg
to prove aftermarket shafts are superior wouldn't it make more sense to compare apples to apples? Say, swap out the made for motore 665 for an aftermarket motore 665? This argument doesn't make sense to me, as all you are proving is that you switched to a shaft more suited to your game... I think most people would have gaps from trying a variety of shafts. Luckily, most major oems are offering more shaft options than evah

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Love go hear about the experiences CA. When the web.com was here was lucky enough to have a similar experience. Had a chance to see a guy get fit for a 915. Just to listen to the player's thoughts and the response of the fitter was unbelievable.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

So anyway.....once again a great couple days "inside the ropes" for Chris.

Thanks for the great recap and hope you're feeling better.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

First off, I have almost every single major aftermarket shaft on the tour van for people to test. In fact just picked up 6 more while out in California this week. If you have not noticed in between these comments, we are partnered with every major shaft company here.

Second, let's try to keep this about the experience the THPer had rather than going down the path that seems to pop up far too often.

Since your doing testing is it not about better numbers?...it would be cool to test some combo's out that perhaps don't make big box stores, but rather special orders from the tour depts. This could help THP'ers. Are you going to have Grandura tested?

Last edited:
Wasn't this thread about questions for a tour van rep and the OP experience he had?

Chris, when Ben was fitting the player was it more Ben looking for optimal number or the player's feedback?

Since your doing testing is it not about better numbers?...it would be cool to test some combo's out that perhaps don't make big box stores, but rather special orders from the tour depts. This could help THP'ers. Are you going to have Grandura tested?

Just a thought here; have you considered taking this conversation to the club clash thread? Might not be a bad place to have those questions answered rather than this thread.

Last edited:
Chris, when Ben was fitting the player was it more Ben looking for optimal number or the player's feedback?

great question! i asked the exact same thing. he said "yes" hesitantly, but then clarified that the biggest thing he wanted to see was "this" as he made a gesture like an airplane taking off meaning trajectory, and "this" as he made a gesture with both arms like he was measuring side-to-side width meaning dispersion. he said he is more focused on ball speed and spin FOR THAT PARTICULAR PLAYER. at chris' numbers, he wanted to see ball speed around 165-168 and spin in the 2,400-2,700 range.

chris the pro was scared of his unplayable miss, the low spin block to the right that put him in terrible spots. he was playing a fly-z+ at 44" iirc and ad-di 7x. although chris' ss was in the 115-118 range, he much prefers lighter setups. fwiw, that driver was given to him by a cobra pga tour staffer who he is friends with, so he definitely wasn't fit for it.

it was so cool to hear chris talk about how the clubs felt in his hands, and to see the improvements or degradation in the quality of shots relative to his reaction to feel. i've seen some ams hit some really nice shots, but there is NOTHING like the sound and flight of a professional golfer's shots. it's something i'll never be able to do, but it's so sessy.

and to pzg's comments, i appreciate everyone wanting to preserve this thread, but i'm fine with whatever direction it goes. ben brought 4 different aftermarket shafts for chris to test, so there's obviously something to getting fit for the right shaft. i'm not saying that anyone in here or on thp is saying there isn't something to getting properly fit.

i'm not sure i understand the made-for 665x vs attas test. apples to oranges there, buddy. there are plenty of examples of people hitting all stock setups better than some uber-expensive aftermarket upgrade. and be careful that you don't have confirmation bias creeping in when you do tests like this. to date, i've never gotten on with a shaft as well as i have a $45 aldila dvs that is majorly old technology.

One of the coolest things I've witnessed in club making is watching someone grind wedges. To me personally its amazing to see them do it and the crazy things a club maker can do with a wedge. Watching him go to work on Fowlers wedges would have made my year. Thanks for sharing this!

Back