Cut Golf

Thread: Pebble Beach Trip

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Pebble Beach Trip

I am thinking of planning a trip to Pebble Beach. I was just wondering what everyone's experiences and tips of their trip to the Holy Land.....
    i.e. who did you book your trip through, did you just wing it and try to book the day before etc.

Lets see some pics.

Campbell Toe

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,036 Posts
    If you want to play Pebble, I believe you have to stay at the resort. Only way to get out of that is as a single golfer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. The Following User Says Thank You to time4tim For This Useful Post:

jjsportz (04-16-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Tim is right, advanced tee times must be made with a resort reservation. Spanish bay is the cheapest and nicest of the resort hotels. Lodge is the lodge but smaller and a little more due to it being the lodge. Shuttles run throughout the property and courses so easy to book on your own. Up to a year out advance tee time with stay. Single can get out day prior if available. There are other accommodations as well on the property. I would definitely play Spyglass but Spanish is optional for me. Bayonet/Blackhorse is close, Pasatiempo not far as well. Poppy Hills is a love/hate kind of course seems to me but worth it if you’re out here.

You see all types out there if you’re not a foursome and get hooked up with another two etc. one year we got hooked up with a guy from Edinborough Scotland who said it was waaay better than St Andrews (he said Scotland weather sucks and we were playing in 70 degree no wind in January) and a middle aged man who made a big deal out of the zipper on his chest to get a handicap flag who was accompanied by his chain smoking “daughter” who as you’ve probably guessed was his 15 y/o appearing pregnant wife....good times.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rfdong For This Useful Post:

jjsportz (04-16-2019), leftshot (04-15-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,620 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by time4tim View Post
    If you want to play Pebble, I believe you have to stay at the resort. Only way to get out of that is as a single golfer.

What Tim said. I believe you can book 1 day in advance at PB if you're not staying there. I think its 14 days for Spyglass and 30 days for Spanish bay. If you're planning a trip I would say you better do a stay and play.
    Driver: G400 Max 9* HZRDUS Yellow 45"
    Driver2: Epic 13.5* Aldila Rogue Silver 43"
    4w: BB Aldila Rogue Silver
    Irons: Apex CF16 4-PW KBS C-Taper
    Wedges: RTX-4 50 mid, 54 mid, 58 low
    Putter: EXO #7s
    Ball: Q-Star Tour

2015 The King - Team Hashtag
    2016 Bridgestone Championships - Team Shank
    2017 Regional Rivalry - Team SoCal
    2018 The Sweep - Budget Golf and

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Schanker For This Useful Post:

jjsportz (04-16-2019)

Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    55 Posts
    I played it two years ago, and it is worth every penny of the outrageous price. Make sure you get a caddy.
    The problem with playing with seniors is that half of them did not see where your ball went, and the other half can not remember.

Titleist TS3 10.5 driver Tensui Blue S
    Titleist TS2 15 3wood Tensui Blue S
    Taylormade 18 hybrid

Taylor made 760 4-PW
    Vokey 52 ,Callaway 56 wedges

Scotty Go Lo putter

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Leftyuk For This Useful Post:

jjsportz (04-16-2019)

Handicap
    20ish
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    581 Posts
    Went to Carmel with my wife last year. We drove around and saw most of the course. It's beautiful, but I thought Spanish Bay was prettier. All the people I talked to said that course was really hard though. Anyway, enjoy the trip, it should be fun, but it's not a trip you will be able to skimp too much on though.
    Epic Flash 10.5* EvenFlow Black 65g 6.0
    Steelhead XR 3 & Heaven Wood Tensei Blue 65g Stiff
    818 H2 17* with Diamana White 80g Stiff
    Testing CBX 119 3 wood with HZRDUS Smoke 60g 6.0 thanks to
    JPX919 Hot Metal 5-GW Nippon Modus 3 Tour 105 R
    Vokey SM7 54.08 M Dynamic Gold Wedge
    Hi Toe 60 KBS Wedge 2.0
    Precision Milled BHB02 Super Stroke Slim 3.0 thanks to

Proud member of TEEm in 2019!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to DataDude For This Useful Post:

jjsportz (04-16-2019)

El Capitan del Norte
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5,083 Posts
    Pebble was worth it, I didn't find the course to be super difficult, Spyglass in my opinion is quite a bit tougher when played from similar total course distance. There is no range at Pebble but I think you can use the shuttles and hit the range at Spanish bay right? Someone please confirm/correct me on that.

give yourself time before the round and hit the shops, I was able to get a few things for a reasonable price and of course some there is some very expensive stuff as well. Be prepared for a long round, think it was at least 5.5 hours I would recommend sneaking in some sustenance as I bought a gatorade, a cigar and a snickers and I think it was close to $40. And it wasn't some famous cigar either.
    Epic Flash SZ 9* D/S ADDI 65 SR
    Epic Flash SZ 13.5/18* Rogue Elite Blue 65R
    Rogue 21* VA Composite 85R
    P790 5-AW LZ 5.0
    53/58* DG 115
    Stroke Lab Tuttle
    Duo Professional Matte Orange

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mancest For This Useful Post:

jjsportz (04-16-2019)

Handicap
    --18--
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    166 Posts
    I played Pebble last August, as a few others have said, WORTH EVERY CENT!!! You really need to get a caddy and walk the course, would not have been the same otherwise. We had a weekday morning tee time, finished in about 4 1/2 hours, and felt like it was faster than that. It was the week before the US Amateur when we were there, and the course was in pristine condition, with deeper than usual rough, and those tiny greens were rolling perfectly true and fast.

Many have stated the necessity of staying at one of the properties to get an advance tee time, and that is usually the case, although they have somewhat random periods when they waive the stay requirement. I was able to get our tee time two months in advance, at Pebble, without staying there. These dates are available more often in the off season (winter), pretty much nonexistent in the peak season (fall), and kind of randomly scattered the rest of the year. They don't really advertise this, but if you call reservations and ask, they will likely give you the current list of no-stay dates (most when I went were weekdays).

I hope this helps, and if you go post up a trip report.
    In My Exotics Xtreme2 Cart Bag:

Driver: 588 Custom 10.5, Rogue Black
    Fairway: Exotics EX9 Tour 17,
    Rogue Black
    Hybrid: Exotics EX9 Tour 20, Recoil 780 ES
    Irons: Z355 4 - PW, Jinsoku Graphite
    Wedges: RTX 2.0, 50 , 56, 60,
    Recoil 95
    Putter: Huntington Beach SOFT #11
    Ball: B330 RX and E6

15. The Following User Says Thank You to OldeDude For This Useful Post:

jjsportz (04-16-2019)

Handicap
    NCGA 12.8
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2,164 Posts

Pebble Beach Trip

Avoid the summer! The weather here is shite. October and November tend to be the best months. You will need to book a stay. Limited tee times are released to locals as they come available, not sure on how you would go about getting one as a visitor. Prepare to pay through the nose, take a camera, dont expect a fast round and enjoy. To me, its the greatest piece of golfing real estate in the world, so is without question, worth the trip and the expense.

Last edited by Mark_UK; 04-16-2019 at 11:31 AM.
    ---------------------------------------
    DRIVER: XR 16 10.5* (N +2*) with Hand Crafted shaft with #FiberLaunch technology #THCE
    FAIRWAY: Big Bertha V Series Heavenwood stiff
    HYBRIDS: 2017 M2 4&5 hybrids regular
    IRONS: P790 with Recoils with smacwrap 760 es F3
    WEDGES: SM7 54 S grind & 58 D grind
    PUTTER: O works #1WS black edition
    BALL: SNELL MTB Red in Optic Yellowy

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark_UK For This Useful Post:

jjsportz (04-16-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mancest View Post
    Pebble was worth it, I didn't find the course to be super difficult, Spyglass in my opinion is quite a bit tougher when played from similar total course distance. There is no range at Pebble but I think you can use the shuttles and hit the range at Spanish bay right? Someone please confirm/correct me on that.

give yourself time before the round and hit the shops, I was able to get a few things for a reasonable price and of course some there is some very expensive stuff as well. Be prepared for a long round, think it was at least 5.5 hours I would recommend sneaking in some sustenance as I bought a gatorade, a cigar and a snickers and I think it was close to $40. And it wasn't some famous cigar either.
    There is a range at Pebble. It it just beyond the Peter Hay par 3 course. A 2 minute shuttle ride from the clubhouse parking lot. There is no range at Spanish Bay. There is proposal to build one, but I don't believe approval has been given yet.
    Last edited by Kay-Dee; 04-16-2019 at 11:43 AM.
    Driver: Callaway Rogue
    3Wood: Ping G400
    Hybrids: Ping G30
    Irons: Ping G400
    Wedges: Tour Edge Hot Launch Super Spin
    Putter: Edel E-1 Torque Balanced

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    65 Posts
    I have played the four courses....Pebble, Spanish Bay, Del Monte and Spyglass approx 20 times each. Here are my thoughts:

1. If you don't stay in a hotel on their property you can put yourself on the daily walk-up. Your tee time will likely be after 3PM and you will sign a waiver acknowledging that you will likely "not finish" the full 18 holes. But the greens fee is NOT reduced.
    2. If it's just you...and you want the "hard-core" experience, stay in the Lodge. You can walk to the 1st tee, have a drink overlooking the 18th green, eat meals in the Tap Room and 1919 room.
    3. If you want a bit of pampering stay at the Inn at Spanish Bay (my preference). Nothing better than having a drink at the fire pits outside the main lodge and seeing the ocean. A couple of the holes run right up beside you.
    4. Another great option is to play The Pacific Grove Municipal Golf Course. Often referred to as the poor man's Pebble Beach. The course is on the ocean and arguably has prettier holes than Pebble that run along the water. Greens fee is $68.
    5. Spyglass is a must. It is the most difficult of the four courses, and has a full range on property. #4 is perhaps one of my favorite holes....EVER.
    6. Drive by Cypress Point....its worth seeing. Try and catch a glimpse of #15 the par 3 as you make the turn/bend on 17 Mile Drive. (I Have played the course twice....magnificent).
    Driver: Callaway Rogue
    3Wood: Ping G400
    Hybrids: Ping G30
    Irons: Ping G400
    Wedges: Tour Edge Hot Launch Super Spin
    Putter: Edel E-1 Torque Balanced

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Kay-Dee For This Useful Post:

jjsportz (04-16-2019)

Handicap
    GHIN 4.5
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1,708 Posts
    When I played it, we stayed at Spanish Bay and played both PB and SB. My wife set the whole thing up for my 50th birthday.
    When we checked in to our room, there was a bottle of champagne and a small birthday cake waiting for me. (on the house)
    The room was fantastic (other than the view of the parking lot and dumpster) with a fireplace and a comfy bed.
    The round took us right about 5 hours. We were paired with another twosome and they were celebrating one of the guy's 60th birthday.
    For me it was well worth the money spent. Pebble was my number one bucket list course and I would love to go again sometime.
    Driver: GBB Epic 9.0* 3-Wd: M1-3HL Hybrid: Superfast 2.0 - 18* Irons: Burner 2.0 4-PW
    Wedges: 52, 56, 58 Putter: Ghost Spider Ball : Chrome Soft Yellow

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Drumdog For This Useful Post:

jjsportz (04-16-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Has anyone used a Golf Travel agent to book the trip?

Im thinking of going in May/June 2020. Would the greens be aerated? Ive read not a lot of rain at that time. I think its always a crap shoot as to nice weather (sunny and warm). But Im expecting 55ish and overcast.

Thanks for the comments so far, keep them coming.

Mark_UK, thanks for the pics!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to jjsportz For This Useful Post:

Mark_UK (04-18-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    They have fire pits at the lodge now. Spanish pits were so popular they put some in at the lodge. If this is a bucket list trip, really try to do fall. Summer can be foggy and windy in the afternoons. Least amount of wind is in the fall, with the mildest temps. Just a suggestion. If you decide to stay on property you really don’t need a travel agent. They will book everything for you including dinner reservations I believe. Tap Room is a must as is Roy’s.

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    42 Posts
    Played it this past December and had a "winter" package deal. Then again, stayed in a large suite looking right at the 18th green (PB), so definitely splurged. While I played for three days, the staff had made spa time for my wife - all done directly through Pebble Beach. Spent over $11K for the trip, but worth every penny. They treat you like royalty, and many that think of it as a "once-in-a-lifetime" trip go back often.
    ST190 9.5 Atmos TS Black 6
    ST190 15 Atmos TS Black 7
    CLK 3H 18 Speeder HB 85
    JPX 919F 4-GW modus 120
    T7 56/60 modus 105 wedge
    Spider X
    project (a)

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Hammer22 For This Useful Post:

jjsportz (04-19-2019)