That's good news! That file didn't open right for some reason, but I'll have to YouTube some demo vids. At any rate it's probably better than my solid state Fender. Every time I play my PRS through a nice amp it sounds awesome, then I play at home and it's not as awesome haha

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Weird works well for me, just an mp3 file in my DropBox. Anyways definitely give it a shot, can't say enough about it's tones and I've played a lot of smaller amps. I did really like my old Vox VT-30, it was mostly digital with a tube in the pre-amp and a nice power sink to dial back the wattage for crunch at lower volumes. You can probably find one of those dirt cheap nowadays.

Been playing guitar for 40 years and drums for 25. My wife is a fine pianists. We jam all the time. I'm more of a progressive kind of guy, dream theater, vai, zappa, fripp. She's more poppy, Billy Joel, Elton John, etc. It works for us and it's fun to play. Haven't played in a band in a number of years, kids, family, golf are new priorities. The evolution of time.....

Music is one thing I really wish I had a talent for. Instead I'm just a consumer of a good sound.

A question for those of you who play guitar and do gigs. My daughter is in a band now - she started out as a singer only, but in the past year she has "borrowed" my electric and learned how to play well enough to play rhythm during the band's gigs. She also "borrowed" my Roland Cube 30x for practicing.

Now I'm thinking about getting her an amp that she can both practice with (has to be quiet - maybe with headphones?) and can be big enough to gig with (small clubs - 200 people or less.)

What recommendations do you have? Does it have to be a tube amp, or are there any modeling/solid state amps out there worth it?
Thanks!

A question for those of you who play guitar and do gigs. My daughter is in a band now - she started out as a singer only, but in the past year she has "borrowed" my electric and learned how to play well enough to play rhythm during the band's gigs. She also "borrowed" my Roland Cube 30x for practicing.

Now I'm thinking about getting her an amp that she can both practice with (has to be quiet - maybe with headphones?) and can be big enough to gig with (small clubs - 200 people or less.)

What recommendations do you have? Does it have to be a tube amp, or are there any modeling/solid state amps out there worth it?
Thanks!

I used to gig on guitar and sax - sounds fun for her! What kind of music is she playing?

IMO, tube amps have the fullest sound, but the trade off is to get that sound you have to drive the tubes a bit - ie you need some volume. To do that in a small space without melting everyone's faces, a low watt tube amp is best - 5w or less for home practicing, which when turned up enough can be enough for gigs in a small venue if you up the volume, and especially if you go through an external cab.

The nice thing is, now several manufacturers make amps with high and low wattage modes, which allow you to drive the amp and get that full sound at both practice and gig volume. Something like the Blackstar HT-5R discussed above is a good solution - it can be switched to 1W mode for quieter practice (also has a headphone jack), and supports hooking up an external cab if you need more volume.

Solid state amps can sound good too, particularly for hard rock and metal. Laney and Randall in particular are well known for solid state amps. Keep in mind that you'll need a higher wattage in a SS amp - tube amps are very loud for their wattage.

Hope that ramble helped!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456082997.646601.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456083016.387963.jpg

I used to gig on guitar and sax - sounds fun for her! What kind of music is she playing?

Her band is kind of punkish, but she will be playing a pretty wide variety of stuff. She & her boyfriend (lead guitar) are already planning a side project (sure - why not? Isn't that what stars do now?) & that stuff seems a lot quieter & more acoustic-oriented.

IMO, tube amps have the fullest sound, but the trade off is to get that sound you have to drive the tubes a bit - ie you need some volume. To do that in a small space without melting everyone's faces, a low watt tube amp is best - 5w or less for home practicing, which when turned up enough can be enough for gigs in a small venue if you up the volume, and especially if you go through an external cab.

The nice thing is, now several manufacturers make amps with high and low wattage modes, which allow you to drive the amp and get that full sound at both practice and gig volume. Something like the Blackstar HT-5R discussed above is a good solution - it can be switched to 1W mode for quieter practice (also has a headphone jack), and supports hooking up an external cab if you need more volume.

Solid state amps can sound good too, particularly for hard rock and metal. Laney and Randall in particular are well known for solid state amps. Keep in mind that you'll need a higher wattage in a SS amp - tube amps are very loud for their wattage.

Hope that ramble helped!

Thanks! I saw the Blackstar mentioned earlier, and that's what got me thinking. I appreciate the thoughts.

Her band is kind of punkish, but she will be playing a pretty wide variety of stuff. She & her boyfriend (lead guitar) are already planning a side project (sure - why not? Isn't that what stars do now?) & that stuff seems a lot quieter & more acoustic-oriented.

Thanks! I saw the Blackstar mentioned earlier, and that's what got me thinking. I appreciate the thoughts.
Sounds cool! Not a problem man. I'm about 80% sure the Blackstar will be my next amp. What's the budget? Tube amps of this size typically run around 400-600, with solid state you can get away with less, probably 200-400.

Sounds cool! Not a problem man. I'm about 80% sure the Blackstar will be my next amp. What's the budget? Tube amps of this size typically run around 400-600, with solid state you can get away with less, probably 200-400.

Budget-wise that sounds about right. I'm just trying to get a short list of amps & then probably have her & BF try them out.

Budget-wise that sounds about right. I'm just trying to get a short list of amps & then probably have her & BF try them out.
Orange makes really great, low watt amps. Also Vox has some quality combos, but I'd recommend going with an older/vintage model. I'm not completely sold on the newer stuff.

For punk rock, it's hard to beat a Marshall head and cab combo. Jcm 900 cranked to 11!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I love my orange tiny terror combo. great range of tones and takes pedals very well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my orange tiny terror combo. great range of tones and takes pedals very well.

My experience with Orange is that they don't need pedals ;) I have a 2015 Orange Rockerverb 50 MKIII (#86 of the first 100 made) and it is the best amp I've ever owned. Even my buddy who has a 70s fender said the clean on the new Rockerverb is the best he's ever heard. It also takes pedals so well:)

On another note, Here is a picture of the three Pauls

25183560065_c2c2112b12_b.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456109780.506659.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456109780.506659.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 0
Better pictures

She's a 20 year old Les Paul Custom. The Nitro finish has gotten nice and thin so it looks dull and has a very vintage vibe to it

25179169285_d7b96b67b8_b.jpg

25060855852_9b83d74028_b.jpg

25152791126_58bb638c21_b.jpg

24552335923_4ebe4e3a3f_b.jpg

24883557210_4860bbc6c4_b.jpg

24552365243_b45641f265_b.jpg

25179284255_b13604b1ba_b.jpg

Those sure are purty, satchmo! Love the look of Les Pauls. I was at the Rock & Roll Hall of fame a few weks ago & they had a little hallway filled with Les Paul stuff & his story. Very cool! I guess he was a few months away from going to work for Leo Fender when he finally convinced Gibson to make his version of an electric guitar.

Thanks!

The Marshall Haze is an awesome little amp, it has built in effects and actually sounds good at lower volumes, the Bogner/Line 6 combo is also pretty good, you can get them used on the cheap and can fill a room or a small practice area with ease. There are some really good budget amps out there right now both tube and solid state and if she's looking for her own sound, she can find it without breaking the bank. It's awesome that she's playing and doing her own thing, just awesome.

The Marshall Haze is an awesome little amp, it has built in effects and actually sounds good at lower volumes, the Bogner/Line 6 combo is also pretty good, you can get them used on the cheap and can fill a room or a small practice area with ease. There are some really good budget amps out there right now both tube and solid state and if she's looking for her own sound, she can find it without breaking the bank. It's awesome that she's playing and doing her own thing, just awesome.

Thanks! Their band is headlining a gig Friday. I missed her last gig - where she played onstage for the first time. She & her BF came over yesterday & I found out they did use the Roland Cube 30x (just mic'd it). He has a solid state amp & is wishing for a Marshall or Fender tube amp. I'll keep those others in mind.

And I am really psyched that she's doing this. It's been a lot of fun - and it's something I always wanted to do & one of the few real regrets I have.

Thanks! Their band is headlining a gig Friday. I missed her last gig - where she played onstage for the first time. She & her BF came over yesterday & I found out they did use the Roland Cube 30x (just mic'd it). He has a solid state amp & is wishing for a Marshall or Fender tube amp. I'll keep those others in mind.

And I am really psyched that she's doing this. It's been a lot of fun - and it's something I always wanted to do & one of the few real regrets I have.

That's awesome Grins, the cube is a fun little amp and puts out some good sounds, especially at low volumes. Good luck to her, I hope she rocks on.

My first 4 string

d65032a9e0a5b7a3ad0830ad120d2b19.jpg

Very nice axe. I've never played a Schecter, but that sure it pretty.
Thanks!!! This my first time playing a Schecter. I like it alot. The neck is slim and fast, which is helpful for my smaller hands, and has a really nice range of tones. Gonna be fun learning to play it properly!

Nice one EvF! I have a Schecter 7 string and it's a really solid piece of kit. Schecter makes some great stuff that's pretty affordable.

Any Boogie fans out there? I've been playing through Boogies since 1981. Owned several in my time. Currently have an 02 MKIV B version long head. I play through 2 theile cabs, one with a Vintage EVM12 and the other a Mesa C90. This is my 3rd MKIV. I'll never let this one go, it has a life of it's own. Best sounding of the 3 by a long way. My first Boogie was a loaded MKIIC. Not a plus. Imbuya cab, wicker grill, EQ, Simalclass, everything. One of my biggest regrets musically letting that one go. Well that and an 81 G&L s500 I sold. GAS can be a terrible thing sometimes. Equipment comes and goes, but we always remember the mistakes.

I had a Mark IV head (pushing a Marshall 4x12) as my #1 amp for a few years back in in the late 90s/early 00/. I loved that thing; especially the RHY 2 channel. Sold it after I quit touring and regretted it for years.

I had a Mark IV head (pushing a Marshall 4x12) as my #1 amp for a few years back in in the late 90s/early 00/. I loved that thing; especially the RHY 2 channel. Sold it after I quit touring and regretted it for years.

I really dig channel 2 also. More so on this amp than the other IV's I've owned. Really organic. I hit the pre amps with a tube screamer and the amp opens up. Hit the graphic EQ and it's on. Sustain for days. With that said, I spend a lot of time on the lead channel too. Clean is nice and warm as well. I'll never get rid of this one. I would like another DC3 one day though:act-up:

I really dig channel 2 also. More so on this amp than the other IV's I've owned. Really organic. I hit the pre amps with a tube screamer and the amp opens up. Hit the graphic EQ and it's on. Sustain for days. With that said, I spend a lot of time on the lead channel too. Clean is nice and warm as well. I'll never get rid of this one. I would like another DC3 one day though:act-up:

RHY 2 with my old Tube Screamer was the go-to sound for me for a long time. I used the lead channel now and then when I needed a little extra something, haha.

I bought a combo version of the Mark IV when I got all nostalgic a few years back but frankly I was disappointed. I think at the time that it was my #1 we were generally playing stages and rooms where I could open up the master volume and really get the tubes working hard. These days I'm just playing in the basement or in small clubs and can't really fire it up and get it humming.

I tend toward smaller amps these days... my old 70s Fender Champ is perfectly suited for the gigs I play now.

Back