2016 Fitness and Workout Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a good workout last night with squats, press, and cleans. Went a little lighter on squats and think I'll just slowly build back up; a little bit of soreness but not as much as I had been experiencing. Presses were also a little lighter to avoid inflaming my back, but felt good. Finally, cleans felt as good as they ever have and I feel like my form was really good.

I started seeing a chiropractor because my wife swears by them and we've met our deductible for the year with the new kid, so I figured what could it hurt. I've got some scoliosis and some misalignment to work out, and he thinks part of that could be causing my discomfort lifting and why it's only on the one side. Will see where that goes.

There's a free online seminar on Saturday about squatting being put on by Omar Isaf and Greg Nukols. Two very strong and smart guys, I think it could be very informative. It's free just have to sign up on their site. Idk if I'm allowed to share links like that so message me if you want it. I'll be tuning in

while i'm resting my shoulder i had to get back into the gym somehow. Did a 20 min spin HIIT, yesterday, and a 30 min one today. felt great after and i'm liking the promise that cardio will do for both general performance in other sports as well as helping to get rid of the extra gut i'm carrying around :)

There's a free online seminar on Saturday about squatting being put on by Omar Isaf and Greg Nukols. Two very strong and smart guys, I think it could be very informative. It's free just have to sign up on their site. Idk if I'm allowed to share links like that so message me if you want it. I'll be tuning in
I've read a lot of Nuckols' work. He's not bad. I don't agree with his opinions, but he can move a lot of weight.

I've read a lot of Nuckols' work. He's not bad. I don't agree with his opinions, but he can move a lot of weight.
You don't agree with anyone but Ripp so that doesn't surprise me.

You don't agree with anyone but Ripp so that doesn't surprise me.
Guilty. Nuckols is a big proponent of vertical torsos and chest up cues for squatting because that's what world record squatters do. That's pure phenomenology. I like how Greg tries to use objective methodology. However, most of his articles best described as answers in search of a question.

Yes, I agree with much of what Rippetoe writes and teaches. I'm not sure why that's a bad thing.

Guilty. Nuckols is a big proponent of vertical torsos and chest up cues for squatting because that's what world record squatters do. That's pure phenomenology. I like how Greg tries to use objective methodology. However, most of his articles best described as answers in search of a question.

Yes, I agree with much of what Rippetoe writes and teaches. I'm not sure why that's a bad thing.
Objective methodology? You mean half of what you write isnt based on facts? lol cmon you know it's true. Ripp has a cult following and he can do no wrong. I agree with a lot of what he says but there are a ton of people (people way smarter than me) who dont necessarily think he's a god. Why dont you watch the seminar just so I can hear your take on it. Being serious

Edit: Realized we were not talking subjective but objective although it still seems a lot of info in here is pure opinion.

Objective methodology? You mean half of what you write lol cmon you know it's true. Ripp has a cult following and he can do no wrong. I agree with a lot of what he says but there are a ton of people (people way smarter than me) who dont necessarily think he's a god. Why dont you watch the seminar just so I can hear your take on it. Being serious
I have to look into when it is.

Good workout tonight with squats, bench, and deads. Squats are still deload, so I added reps, and did 3x8 tonight. It was tough in a whole new way, but felt good. Bench was great; I should have done 195 tonight, but 200 was so close that I added the 2.5s and got 2 sets of 5 before having to deload for a 3rd, but it was nice to hit a milestone. Deads went well also, I've been matching what my brother pulls, which is now up to 355, and my 5rm is 360, so getting close to uncharted waters, but my form feels much better than it did a month ago, and my back doesn't hurt, so I'm excited. All in all, a good day.

Good workout tonight with squats, bench, and deads. Squats are still deload, so I added reps, and did 3x8 tonight. It was tough in a whole new way, but felt good. Bench was great; I should have done 195 tonight, but 200 was so close that I added the 2.5s and got 2 sets of 5 before having to deload for a 3rd, but it was nice to hit a milestone. Deads went well also, I've been matching what my brother pulls, which is now up to 355, and my 5rm is 360, so getting close to uncharted waters, but my form feels much better than it did a month ago, and my back doesn't hurt, so I'm excited. All in all, a good day.
You're back doesn't hurt? Must have been some good work by your coach. Good thing you pay him well.

Good work overall.

Hurt my left elbow doing dips. Felt some pressure on that elbow during the rope pull down just prior. Similar issue earlier this year occurred while doing a narrow grip barbell curl and pain shot around my wrist/forearm area. My body must be turning into glass.

Thinking about giving TRX a shot now to help avoid these one off injuries. Never tried it before. Any feedback?

Hurt my left elbow doing dips. Felt some pressure on that elbow during the rope pull down just prior. Similar issue earlier this year occurred while doing a narrow grip barbell curl and pain shot around my wrist/forearm area. My body must be turning into glass.

Thinking about giving TRX a shot now to help avoid these one off injuries. Never tried it before. Any feedback?
Pain in elbow? Where?

Pain in elbow? Where?
Best description I can provide is at the end of the medial head, just above the elbow. I'm guessing it's a tendon issue, as that would be the common place for the injury.

Best description I can provide is at the end of the medial head, just above the elbow. I'm guessing it's a tendon issue, as that would be the common place for the injury.
It's on the forearm side of the elbow?

It's on the upper arm and hurts when you do curls? That's odd.
Nah sorry. Should have been more clear but just ended up jabbering.

I hurt my wrist/forearm area doing close grip curls earlier this year. I can still do wide grip curls and basic dumbell workouts.

Just the other week I was doing the rope pull downs and noticed the pressure in my elbow area. I figured my muscle was tight and just tried to stretch it before moving onto dips. I got to about my ninth rep when the pain just hit me.

At this point I just don't want to deal with muscle/tendon injuries and figured TRX may be a good way to still remain in shape and avoid this nonsense.

I hurt my wrist/forearm area doing close grip curls earlier this year. I can still do wide grip curls and basic dumbell workouts.

Just the other week I was doing the rope pull downs and noticed the pressure in my elbow area. I figured my muscle was tight and just tried to stretch it before moving onto dips. I got to about my ninth rep when the pain just hit me.

At this point I just don't want to deal with muscle/tendon injuries and figured TRX may be a good way to still remain in shape and avoid this nonsense.
Ahhhh...

I'm very confident in rehabbing pulled ground, elbow tendinitis, erector spinae injuries, and calf injuries. Only because I have rehabbed all of those n
In the last 2 years.

But I'm clueless on this one. I would start with ibuprofen and light weight movements that target the area.

I love Saturdays at the gym, I always have this hmm lets see if I can do this. I never bench press but today I was curious about it so I tried it and got up to 190lbs with 4 sets of 8 reps. I don't know if that's considered good but for a 173 pound guy who never does it I felt pretty good about it.

TRX is a good way. Just keep in mind that you may have to up the volume.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

TRX is a good way. Just keep in mind that you may have to up the volume.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
Yea. I'm assuming it would have to be similar to circuit training. High volume and high heart rate. I just like the natural range of motion it promotes.

Deciding whether to do this at home or joining a spinning/yoga/TRX studio in my neighborhood.

I love Saturdays at the gym, I always have this hmm lets see if I can do this. I never bench press but today I was curious about it so I tried it and got up to 190lbs with 4 sets of 8 reps. I don't know if that's considered good but for a 173 pound guy who never does it I felt pretty good about it.
I don't see anything but positives from it, keep it up dude!

I don't see anything but positives from it, keep it up dude!

Yeah I didn't think it was all that impressive and I know I could have done more. It does raise a question for me though. Why can't these other guys at the gym lift more.

Yeah I didn't think it was all that impressive and I know I could have done more. It does raise a question for me though. Why can't these other guys at the gym lift more.
Guess it depends on how long you've been training. If its been years I guess id be disappointed but just starting off I think it's pretty damn good.

It's also hard to judge what other people are lifting by what you see. They could be on a different regime, lifting lighter weight for their reps. I just did just and did 4x8 but at 135 because that's what I needed to do for the week, doesn't mean I can't or haven't lifted more, it just means I stuck to a routine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back