Changed to 10 finger grip

Mach2

Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.7
For the first number of years starting to play golf, a 10 finger grip came naturally. Handicap got to 14 and the course Pro, who had taken me under his wing, said I'd never achieve my full golf potential until I changed my grip to an overlapping. Within a couple months I damaged my right hand, specifically the right little finger, and after the cast was removed and I could grip a golf club the overlapping grip was the only way I could grip it comfortably. Well my golf game improved over all these years since.

Yesterday evening I was THPing and I think it was on this specific forum I read where someone said that they were in their senior years and going to the 10 finger grip helped his game. Today I played with the guys and went to the driving range before the tee time and tried the 10 finger grip. It didn't feel bad at all so I decided I'd play it. Yeah, it felt a little different. But after 9 holes I got used to it better and after the round one of our group players said "Hey Mick, you didn't hit a ball with your normal cut." I quickly re-played the round in my head and realized I hadn't hit a iron shot with the cut too. Next I want to re-grip my driver with that new Golf Pride MCC Plus4 with the larger than normal grip diameter for the lower hand. My right hand is getting harder to make a fist, 71 years old and it's showing in my hands, shoulders, back and knees.

Going to stay with the 10 finger grip and try those new Golf Pride MCC Plus4 grips.

Life is Great. :thumb:

I switched to it two seasons ago and now I can't go back. I tried on the range and it felt to strange. It's a shame that so many "teaching" pros think golf has to be played only the way they know how. Do what's comfortable for you.

10 finger grip

10 finger grip

I switched to it two seasons ago and now I can't go back. I tried on the range and it felt to strange. It's a shame that so many "teaching" pros think golf has to be played only the way they know how. Do what's comfortable for you.

i play with a 10 finger grip too. I find I can release the club much better. Also puts me in a naturally better spine tilt at address. I've taken a number of lessons over the last few years from different instructors and none of them have had any problem with my grip.

If it works, it works!! Enjoy, play well!!

I'm a 10 finger grip too, I just feel uncomfortable any other way.

I was an interlock grip guy until about 6 months ago. My left index finger and right pinkie are both twisting/knobbing up from arthritis, so, I had to adapt. It hasn't hurt the game, from what I see.

I am 10 finger and always have been. I have messed around with other grips but always come back to the 10 finger.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I've tried many times to play anything other than a 10 finger grip and I just can't get comfortable. I have always heard the same thing about needing to grip it this way or that way, but I say it's a lie. I reached single digits last year with a 10 finger grip, which was always my golf goal. So I'd say it doesn't hurt your golf game one bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First off, hello to all on THP. I am new to the site having become a "refugee" from another well known site (which shall remain nameless) so im looking forward to chatting to you all.

So on to the topic, im a 10 finger user. Like many people i started off with the Vardon but that just hurts the little pinkie and the interlock is bad as i get eczma inbetween my fingers (whem stressed!) to the point that i finished a round and realised my right hand was red and i needed a new glove.

For me the 10 finger is just comfy, i have small hands and stubby fingers (my excuse anyway:act-up:).
I dont think there is a right or wrong way to grip the club as long as ot works, just like there is no right or wrong way to swing the club (well, unless you have it upside down and gripped in your teeth!), i myself use the Trahan swing (shhhh, you didnt hear that from me).

Again, lookimg forward to posting and the wealth of info that you have here.
Thanks
Russ

I switched recently due to my RA.
It’s definitely taking some time to get use to, but I feel like I have more power with it. Probably just all in my head.

First off, hello to all on THP. I am new to the site having become a "refugee" from another well known site (which shall remain nameless) so im looking forward to chatting to you all.

So on to the topic, im a 10 finger user. Like many people i started off with the Vardon but that just hurts the little pinkie and the interlock is bad as i get eczma inbetween my fingers (whem stressed!) to the point that i finished a round and realised my right hand was red and i needed a new glove.

For me the 10 finger is just comfy, i have small hands and stubby fingers (my excuse anyway:act-up:).
I dont think there is a right or wrong way to grip the club as long as ot works, just like there is no right or wrong way to swing the club (well, unless you have it upside down and gripped in your teeth!), i myself use the Trahan swing (shhhh, you didnt hear that from me).

Thanks
Russ
Welcome and thanks for the laugh. What is this Trahan swing of which you speak? Never heard of it.

Welcome and thanks for the laugh. What is this Trahan swing of which you speak? Never heard of it.

Lol, if you mentioned this swing on my previous forum you were told the errors of your ways and recommended to try their online instruction course.

Great post!! I started my golf "career" with a ten finger grip which was transformed from playing baseball throughout high school. It took a few years for me to try laced grip or standard grip. Needless to say I now use both grips, long game-I cross my fingers both literally and metaphorically. I chip and putt with a ten finger grip.

I banged up my index finger on my top hand pretty good one time and couldn't overlap. I tried the 10 finger grip mid round and it was pretty powerful. I played the rest of the season that way without too much issue. The next season I went back to overlap. I see benefits to using the 10 finger. I try it once in a while on the range but I get too flippy. Takes some getting used to.

I used an overlap grip for close to 30 years but the last 2 years I actually went to the interlock grip which relieves the pain in my hands. Being a contractor is finally catching up to me with the aches and pains in my hands.
A good friend of mine has played the 10 finger for a very long time. He did it because he felt it was a more comfortable grip compared to overlap and interlock.

Ditto here I'm using the 10 finger grip simply because it feels more comfortable. It's not only the 10 finger grip, it's the Babe Ruth grip, where the thumbs rest on the sides of the grip rather than on top.

I used to have an interlocking grip and I always ended up with finger sprains after the game.

Made the biggest strides in my scores switching to the 10 a while back. Will overlap in a bunker if short sided.

I have had a baseball grip the whole time I been playing golf mid 1960s got to a 5 in my mid 20s -- never felt good with any other type of grip so that is what i do.

Thanks
Russ

Welcome Russ! I am fellow Surgite! Love his swing. Switched to it last year and had one of my best ball striking summers in long time.

Don Trahan

Don Trahan

Don Trahan's "Peak Performance Golf Swing".

He advocates a 3/4 turn, very vertical swing. His son DJ is on the PGA tour. Don's swing has been around for a long time.

Did wonders for my game. But as with any swing; may not be for all.

Here's his website:
http://www.peakperformancegolfswing.com/learn-the-swing

I have been talking to some guys at work about their different grips.... I have always been an inter locker, but everything I keep hearing guys having great luck with the 10 finger grip.

I have been talking to some guys at work about their different grips.... I have always been an inter locker, but everything I keep hearing guys having great luck with the 10 finger grip.
Jrex, I changed simply due to pain in my hands. However, I have not noticed any loss of control/distance/etc. Nor have I noticed a huge increase in any of them either. Give it a whirl, you can always go back.

When I tried the interlocking grip, it seemed to put a lot of tension on the RH little finger and the LH index finger. I have small hands though, that may have contributed to the discomfort.

As a long time baseball/softball player, the 10 finger grip has always felt most natural to me. When I first started playing, I thought the interlock was golf gospel, so I went with it. Once I fooled around with the 10 finger grip I started getting much better iron contact and club control. I've stuck with it.

Back