Callaway XR16 Driver Review Thread

Agreed.. I have tried both but was leaning towards the XR16. I can hear Discount Dan's calling me now... $299 (no sales tax or shipping charge) for the XR16!

Last edited:
Played 18 Friday and 27 yesterday and the XR16 w speeder 665 is making this game so much fun right now! Literally missed 5 fairways and 2 of those were just right off (5-7yds) fairway and averaging right at 260ish (Friday missed 1 fairway and shot 74! Best round in a couple years!!!)
Even playing this at 8* I am still getting very nice mid-high launch w a baby fade but it is boring and not spinny at all! Can't wait for the fairways to really dry out some to get another 10+ w roll. So nice to step on the tee w so much confidence knowing your gonna stripe it and even if you don't put the best swing on it, the misses are not so punitive to costs you too many strokes. Can't say enough good things about this bad boy!

Callaway XR16 Driver Review Thread

Nate was blistering this driver today. Perfect match of driver and shaft for him. Low spinning bombs with a penetrating trajectory, even into a stout wind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nate was blistering this driver today. Perfect match of driver and shaft for him. Low spinning bombs with a penetrating trajectory, even into a stout wind.

Another 12 of 13 fairways today. LOL. Ridiculous. Most fun I've had with a driver. Oh yea, the UST Mamiya Elements Platinum shaft is so good in this.

#MVP

Ordered this with the Chrome Elements + last week and didn't put it in play until Monday afternoon because of a mix up with the shaft flex. I ended up dropping my Elements Proto from last years event in while I wait for the new shaft to show up. I may have wished I did that from the start - WOW, such an accurate driver when paired with this shaft. It draws for me, high draws that cut the wind consistently shot after shot, once you get used to that ball flight you can trust it because it just keeps duplicating the results. I only blocked 1 drive over 2 rounds and that was a ball position issue as it was too far back in my stance. Really looking forward to playing this some more. I've fallen hard for the M2 this year and this club is a worthy competitor. Right now the main difference is dispersion, length is similar. The M2 is pretty much a straight ball to slight fade while the XR16 is a high playable draw. I will add I feel the XR16 is slightly more forgiving.

Had this today on flight scope. Love the sound, but it just didn't perform for me. Both the GBB and 915 out performed it in terms of distance and consistency. Both of the GBB and 915 shafts were shorter. May have had a little something to do with it considering all of my clubs are either -1/4 or -1/2 inch.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I think this one is right up there with the jgr on the must try immediately at club clash list for me.

Another 12 of 13 fairways today. LOL. Ridiculous. Most fun I've had with a driver. Oh yea, the UST Mamiya Elements Platinum shaft is so good in this.

#MVP
That's an amazing streak of accuracy you've got going on!

It's been awhile since I stood over a tee shot and felt pretty good in where it was going.

Pretty awesome feeling isnt it?

Pretty awesome feeling isnt it?

I've considered myself a pretty good driver of the ball distance wise but was never fully confident in direction or where I could expect my miss to be. Now both phases are coming together.

Xr16 has shown up and will be given some swings this Monday. Going to pair it up with Fujikura Six X for now. Definitely looks good in the -1*/N setting

4301fbd23e95cea77c1eb276c48ee86b.jpg

#MVP

You, sir, are a machine. Happy for you that it's working so dang well.

I haven't had that level of success, but I am still enjoying the XR 16 with the Elements Helium. Actually starting to feel more comfortable with it than the GBB.

Going to a demo day soon, Xr16 and pro version going to be tested. See if either kicks the Bio Cell+ out.

Had another good driving day yesterday with the XR16/Elements+, I wasn't striking it center most of the round but the forgiveness kept me in the FW and I experienced minimal distance loss. In several head to heads with my M2 I was hitting the M2 longer but the dispersion on the XR16 was more reliable. I'm really torn on both of these drivers, love them both and have no desire to try anything else.

Is there anyone that has a direct comparison from the original XR and then this one? Obviously it's got new fancy technology, but I'm wondering what other differences folks are noticing as well besides the look.

You, sir, are a machine. Happy for you that it's working so dang well.

I haven't had that level of success, but I am still enjoying the XR 16 with the Elements Helium. Actually starting to feel more comfortable with it than the GBB.

I'm just trying keep the honeymoon phase going as long as I can! I don't want it to end! Maybe it won't?! Keep up the grind my man!

Looking forward to your thoughts on this one Alez!

Xr16 10.5 w/ Fuji six X flex was put in play today. So far my miss with it is high and right. Did some mid round tinkering by putting some lead tape on the toe area and its help a bit. The 50g shaft and lighter head have made this a fun day

Xr16 10.5 w/ Fuji six X flex was put in play today. So far my miss with it is high and right. Did some mid round tinkering by putting some lead tape on the toe area and its help a bit. The 50g shaft and lighter head have made this a fun day

High and right would mean either over the top with glancing blow (steep) or coming through open. Why do you think the tape in the toe is helping? Wouldnt the opposite take place?

High and right would mean either over the top with glancing blow (steep) or coming through open. Why do you think the tape in the toe is helping? Wouldnt the opposite take place?

I'm trying to stay with a fade and the tape helps me to release the club and still stay with the fade shot shape. Definitely not trying to switch to a draw. Last time I did that it was hook city

Purchased the head off ebay today, cant wait for it arrive so I can try it out

This is in the bag for today's round and I am looking forward to seeing how it fares. The last few times out, it has been fantastic for me, but I hadnt made the move completely. Today if it goes well, it goes in the bag for the season.

This is in the bag for today's round and I am looking forward to seeing how it fares. The last few times out, it has been fantastic for me, but I hadnt made the move completely. Today if it goes well, it goes in the bag for the season.

I want to hit this bad boy again. I know you've mentioned it but can you remind me, what shaft are you gaming in this?

I want to hit this bad boy again. I know you've mentioned it but can you remind me, what shaft are you gaming in this?

Right now Grandura 590.
I think the Project X LZ HandCrafted will be going in in the future as a trial too.

Just out of curiosity, it appears...at least to me...that this driver has been getting more love than the GBB since release. Why is that exactly?

Back