For what purpose is your 3 wood in your bag?

For what purpose is your 3 wood in your bag?

• Primarily as a second tee club

Votes: 41 35.7%
  • Primarily from the fairway

Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Both uses are critical to my scoring

Votes: 52 45.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would say off the tee as a 3rd option but I don't find myself using lately. My driver is more accurate and longer, while the utility iron is tons more accurate and often long enough.

interesting answers here.

you would think that with so many having it as a basic 2nd tee option, they would go with a second driver lofted at like 12-14* at like 42-43"

i mean, their more forgiving... I know the 2 driver mafia would back me up on it right?

so follow up question, to those choosing option 1 (the majority), why don't you just go 2nd driver?

Until recently, it was #4 - almost never. I just had no confidence in my three wood off the tee, and wouldn't think of hitting it off the deck. In my last lesson, things were going very well and the pro said, "I want to see you hit that three wood off the grass." I striped a few down the middle, and since then it's been my new best friend. I would say my results from the fairway have been:
- 50% Holy ^&*%, what a great shot
- 25% Topped, but still went straight for a reasonable distance
- 25% Really topped or hooked
There is still work to be done, but the good shots are so much fun that I am eager to do it.

I put 1 down, BUT it should be 3. At my swing speed it is a club I need to a) hit off the tee on tighter/shorter par 4/5s & b) hit into greens on long par 3/4s short par 5s.... that rarely happens but here is hoping.

So far I haven't had needed for it on b but at my next club tournament from the longer set of tees than I normally play from.

interesting answers here.

you would think that with so many having it as a basic 2nd tee option, they would go with a second driver lofted at like 12-14* at like 42-43"

i mean, their more forgiving... I know the 2 driver mafia would back me up on it right?

so follow up question, to those choosing option 1 (the majority), why don't you just go 2nd driver?

A few of my reasons for 3/4w over 2nd driver:

I play 3/4w @ 16-17*, 2nd driver seems too strong

I still want to be able to play of the deck

I feel like I hit 3w just fine, I look forward to it

A few of my reasons for 3/4w over 2nd driver:

I play 3/4w @ 16-17*, 2nd driver seems too strong

I still want to be able to play of the deck

I feel like I hit 3w just fine, I look forward to it

I hhear you. I also like hitting my Threewood and I do a pretty good job with it. I’m just wondering for those who basically just use it for off the tee when their driver is not working well why they would go with something that is built less forgiving than the modern driver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Second shot club on most par 5’s or off the tee for tight fairways and doglegs.

I'd say primarily off the tee, but I'm not afraid to use it from 230-240 off the deck if the situation presents itself.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I would like to think I have it in the bag for both of those reasons, while in truth I don't hit it enough to be consistent with it for those reasons. Seems like I hit it better off the turf than I do off a tee also.
I have a tendency to hit a sweeping hook off the tee with mine. I hit it fairly well off the deck. So, I've started making a concerted effort to tee it very low on the tee box to simulate a fairway shot, but still take advantage of the perfect lie.

Can't vote, never got the hang of my 3w and pulled it out of the bag.

No vote. Not in bag. Did not hit it from tee even though it was in the bag. could not hit well enough from turf, hook mostly. Always picked up 5w. finally just added a 4w. The modern 4w has a longer shaft then a 20 year old 3w and is longer. Head is almost as big as a 3w

I actually dropped the 3w from the bag and only carry 5w and 4h between the driver and 5i. It helps to have an adjustable 5w which can be set up closer to a 4w in loft. Much more consistent contact with the 5w. The 3w is not worth carrying due to it’s inconsistency.

With driver #2 in the bag its only used when I have a green light on par 5's for the second shot. I usually hit it pretty well and even hit it well off the tee, but driver #2 is just that much better as a 2nd tee option.

As a primary off the tee! Hoping to change that - but it’s a solid choice when I don’t trust the driver to get it done.

I rarely use my 3 wood, I am very confident in my driver so I will hit it whenever I can off the tee. There aren't too many holes that I will use it off of the fairway as I prefer to play to a distance on par 5's for a wedge into the green.

4. Towel holder.

But it isn't a 3 wood, it's an old Callaway 4+. I haven't used it in years as I REALLY struggle hitting it nowadays

3. I use it off the tee and off the deck. Covers my 245 yard gapping.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Depends on the length of the course. A lot of the time, my 3w is there as nothing more than a 14th club.

I've never been more confident in any 3wd that I've ever owned, off the tee AND fairway, than I am in my Rogue.

I've had some that I hit better off the tee because they were a bit larger, but those I had to compromise my fairway abilities at least a little. I've had some that I could rely on more out of the fairway because they had a shallow face and ultra low ch, but those I risked popping up off the tee if I teed it just a but high. Throw in Jailbreak tech and I love this Rogue. The only thing that could make it better is if it had a weight channel ala TM M1. I can live without it though.

My 4Wood sits nice in the bag with its headcover 95% of my rounds. Even when I hit it well on the range I still grab the 3H.

It’s a “save me because I duffed something” club for me.

Never a tee weapon.

Never a FW weapon (exception, like there always is ala baseball-long par 5 that I have to carry something or mishit tee shot).

Come to think of it, I’m not sure why I even carry it. More of a “I almost whiffed my tee shot and trying to make the best of it??” That’s about it for me. On a “run-up” type par 5 I usually just hit driver off the deck. Even at 13* I flight it too high most of the time. If I rarely hit my 52* wedge (shortest club I currently carry), I hit 3w even less. I haven’t hit it this year yet. If I want to find the FW, I hit 4i.

I guess it’s reserved for needing to hit a bullet into a long 5 that I need to carry a specific #, or as a recovery if I totally jack up a tee shot. I can usually get more distance with rollout than 4i, particularly if I’m in the rough.

Not a club in my bag... never found one I got along with and have been happy so far with a 19* hybrid.

I use mine off the tee and off the deck. It is my most accurate club outside of 100 yards.

Off the tee is when I need to go left or am on a short par 4.

Off the deck on par 5s.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

I use my three wood off the tee if I am trying to hit it super high or super low, not really for a yardage as it is only 10-15 yards shorter than driver on both stock shots.
It is much more of a weapon from the fairway or rough, I can choke down on it, hit it high, turn it. One of my favourite clubs in the bag for funky shots

Last season it was for the fairway.

Back