For what purpose is your 3 wood in your bag?

• Primarily as a second tee club

Votes: 41 35.7%
  • Primarily from the fairway

Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Both uses are critical to my scoring

Votes: 52 45.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Freaking love this Cobra F8 3W. I smash this thing and the only way I can hit it is to try and kill it. I play with it "off the tee" some. It depends on the hole really and lately I have realized I hit it better sitting on the grass then I do sitting on a tee. I can also smash this thing off the fairway and if its a good lie out of the rough as well.

It is my most accurate club outside of 100 yards.

Really? I can't imagine pulling 3wd for any shot that short. I'm guessing you'd be good in a 5 club tournament with driver, 3wd, SW, LW, and putter. Not sure I'd ever get it to stop consistently at distances that short, but it'd be impressive to watch!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Really? I can't imagine pulling 3wd for any shot that short. I'm guessing you'd be good in a 5 club tournament with driver, 3wd, SW, LW, and putter. Not sure I'd ever get it to stop consistently at distances that short, but it'd be impressive to watch!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I may be wrong, but I read the post to mean that of all of the clubs used from outside of 100 yards, his 3 wood is the most accurate.

Very much #3 for me, when I'm swinging it well.

Although I voted, I had not yet shared my thoughts. I definitely fall into the “3” group. There are holes on the courses I play where the dogleg simply does not permit driver, unless you are trying to carry over trees and cut the dogleg, a fool’s errand for me. Thus, I need a 3 wood that I can hit off the tee with confidence. However, there also are par 5s that set up well for a 3 wood as the second shot and I can reach in two with driver, 3 wood. This is one of the reasons I enjoy the rails on the Cobra fwys. The rails definitely help on less than perfect lies.

Last edited:
Although I voted, I had not yet shared my thoughts. I definitely fall into the “3” group. There are holes on the courses I play where the dogleg simply does not permit driver, unless you are trying to carry over trees and cut the dogleg, a fool’s errand for me. Thus, I need a 3 wood that I can hit off the tee with confidence. However, there also are par 5s that set up well for a 3 wood as the second shot and I can reach in two with drive 3 wood. This is one of the reasons I enjoy the rails on the Cobra fwys. The rails definitely help on less than perfect lies.

You definitely hit some solid fairway shots during the afternoon round.

It's a smaller driver for me, mostly. I have never been very consistent hitting woods on the fairway.

I didn't use to carry a 3 wd but put one in the bag last year and I use it for both tee shots that require less than driver and from the fairway on longer holes!

To keep my driver company. I hardly use a 3 wood. Maybe once or twice a round anymore. I could probably use a 4 wood more right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if none of the choices apply?

What if none of the choices apply?

Must mean you have no 3 wood, it is taking up space in your bag for no reason, or its use is limited to such things as chopping out of trouble or being used as a Texas wedge.

Only ever use 3 wood off the tee. Rarely ever find my self at 3 wood distance from the fairway. My 2 iron may actually replace the three wood this season. I tend to hit 3 wood too far.. or maybe Iwill look at a 4 wood.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I use it for both tee shots that require accuracy off the tee on narrow fairways and from the fairway on longer holes! I use it more on my home course in Minnesota compared to here in Arkansas. I added The Attas shaft to my 3 wood this week and I think I may use it even more now.

I pretty much only use mine for fairway shots where I'm either going for a par 5 in two or just trying to advance the ball as far as possible.

Off the tee I feel like I'm not really any more accurate than I am with my driver. If I'm going to play it conservative off the tee I'll jump down to a 5 wood or hybrid.

When I need something to hit a long way and it's pretty open. From the tee if I need something around 240 and Fairway for any shot that is longer 230+ where I don't want to lay up to a specific distance.

Tee, fair way & low bunts/chips

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about option 4: pitch out/recovery shot from trees.

I'm probably 3. Although some days it's used only off the tee and others only off the deck.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I use a 3 wood off the tee and to chip out from under trees. Never off the fairway.

So when my driver is bad I can hit something else that's maybe a little better.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I think you missed, to make sure you have 14 clubs and to add weight to the bag options.

I carry a 3W for one reason ... approach shots on par 5’s when my drive finds the fairway. I carry a 14* mini driver to use when the driver is too much off the tee (and in a pinch I can also hit it off the deck). My 2H is nearly as long and more versatile than my3W, so this will likely be the first season I won’t carry a fairway metal at all. That’s the plan at this point anyway.

Do you use your 3 wood:

1. Primarily as a second club off the tee;

2. Mostly off the fairway; or

3. Both uses are critical to my scoring.

Option 4. To demoralize my opponent and fairway find them into submission

No purpose because I dont have one. Also shelved the 4 wood that replaced it and am just going with a 7 wood now.

I love my 3-metal. I use it off short par 4's since I cannot hit a driver more than 225. I also use it as my 2nd club sometimes on long par 4's and par 5's.

Back