Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: You have 2 putts for win from 20 ft ... What happens next?

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    518 Posts
    I've become a really good putter. Above average for my handicap in both percentage of one-putts as well as 3-putt avoidance. IMO, there are three things you have to learn to do to be able to do well in these situations.

1. Learn to read situations really well.
    This is more than green reading, though that is a big part of it. It's also knowing the implications of different misses.
    Example: A breaking putt that falls away from the hole can easily get away from you. Putts like that you have to die around the hole. Or maybe it's flat on one side of the hole, but drops off steeply on the other side. You must keep it on the flat side of the hole in the scenario you mentioned.

2. Develop great distance control.
    Inconsistent setup, inconsistent contact, inconsistent swings, inconsistent tempo, decelerating, using fast twitch muscles to power the swing. All this has got to go. The best golf tips I ever got were these two putting tips. Power the putter with the big muscles and straight back and straight through. Obviously, this requires lots of practice to groove and maintain. About half of your practice putts should be lag putts outside of 25 feet and from all different holes and angles.

3. Become a great putter inside of 5 feet.
    About half your practice putts should be 4-8 feet out with all kinds of different breaks and green speeds. Play lots of games that make these pressure putts.

I learned a lot about my tendencies through this process. Both the stuff that gets me off track and the keys for me to make a lot of putts. But you have to pay attention and practice a lot to reap those benefits.
    R15 Driver - Rogue Fairway Metal - 5DX IronWood 3 & 4 Hybrids - AP2 716 with KBS Tour 90 Taper regular 4-9 irons - Vokey Wedges 48, 52, 56 & Pro V1 ball - Scottsdale Pickemup Putter

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    75 Posts
    Go for it, but don't hit it so hard that it goes 10 feet past. Kind of a half-and-half approach.
    WITB:
    M4 10.5*
    Burner SuperFast 3W
    Raylor / King F7
    BioCell 5-GW
    Tour Preferred EF 54*/Tour Trusty 60*
    SeeMore PTM3
    TaylorMade TP5x, Titleist ProV1x

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,745 Posts
    I would rather have a 20 ft putt than a 6 footer anytime. Unless something bizarre happens it will either go in or be within a couple of feet.
    Just some weird putting thing with me. Now some days all the 6 footers go in with my eyes closed, other times nothing.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Callaway EPIC Flash SZ 9* GD AD BB 7X
    Titleist TS2 15* PX Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
    Titleist TS2 21* Fuji Atmos red 6X
    Callaway APEX 23* Fuji Atmos TS Blue 8S
    Callaway CF19 APEX Pro 5-AW Catalyst 100 6.0
    Titleist SM7 54* PM 2.0 PX Catalyst 100 6.0
    Titleist SM7 58* PM 2.0 Catalyst 100 6.0
    Toulon Atlanta