For what purpose is your 3 wood in your bag?

For what purpose is your 3 wood in your bag?

• Primarily as a second tee club

Votes: 41 35.7%
  • Primarily from the fairway

Votes: 22 19.1%
  • Both uses are critical to my scoring

Votes: 52 45.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
Do you use your 3 wood:

1. Primarily as a second club off the tee;

2. Mostly off the fairway; or

3. Both uses are critical to my scoring.

NO, not really!! Least favourite club in the bag - tend to ‘throttle down’ on driver off the tee for accuracy & and use 19° hybrid for longer fairway shots - don’t know why I bother carrying it really!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both. Its handy as heck to have 1 club serve 2 purposes.

Right now trying to figure this exact question out.

I want it to be an option off the tee and useful from the fairway. During the MC I wasn't really feeling 3 wood so it stayed in the bag and 5 wood took that role. Thriver is an option that's loomed in the back of my head because of that.

Sergio is famous for 5 wood being his tee club and 3 wood being his second shot club.

At this time, I'm working on 3 wood since I want to have a club I can still challenge some of the carries with, but I'm pretty sure I won't use off the fairway too much since at 250+ out, I really should layup instead of going for it.

But mine is actually a 5 wood lofted down to 17 degrees. So far it has been more accurate and more forgiving, and not much shorter, than my previous 3 wood, especially off the tee.

Off the deck and for short and/or narrow par 4's.

I absolutely love my 3 wood, and play it from any situation necessary, but for the purpose of the options in the poll I went #1. If your answer is #2 or 3, and a 3 wood is critical to your scoring from both situations and not just off the deck on par 5's, you're probably playing the wrong tees.

Mainly off of the fairway, I should take it off of the tee a little more.

I would like to think I have it in the bag for both of those reasons, while in truth I don't hit it enough to be consistent with it for those reasons. Seems like I hit it better off the turf than I do off a tee also.

Mainly as a 2nd option from the tee box, but if I have a good look on a par 5 and the right distance I will pull 3w again. Had an opportunity to use 5w on the last par 5 from my most recent round and smashed it to 20 yards short of the green. Gave me the confidence that 3w could have worked in that spot too, I just need to own the shot and hit it!!

Honestly, it is probably just used off the tee when a draw is an absolute must. If I am hitting it off the deck, I either hit a terrible drive or am playing into a very strong wind. I am not confident enough with it to challenge a green when there is trouble right as that is my miss with it. I either get confident, aim at the green and watch my ball drop off to the right into the water. Or, I assume it will fade and aim left of the green just to watch my ball stay on a string and miss left, which is still better than a water ball. But, often times, these holes have some sort of bunker or natural grass area that is tough to get out of.

3. Both uses are critical

Often use the 3 wood off the tee where a shorter dogleg can get me in trouble hitting the driver. But the recovery power of the 3 wood in the bag is where it really shines. A poor hit off the tee can often be negated with a good solid hit off the deck on the second shot.

Additionally there is little more satisfying than the rare time that a good drive and booming 3 wood leaves you chipping into a par 5 :)

I voted "Both uses are critical to my scoring," but that "scoring" part is hyperbole in my case.

90% off the tee for me.

Plus 3 wood is fun as heck. My favorite club the just swing away with

Long fairway shots for me. I actually hit it pretty good. I hardly ever use it off the tee unless a dogleg requires it or something.

Secondary tee club for me. The 3+ hopefully will perform as advertised.

Normally a fairway or trouble shooting club for me. Use it a lot to get out of tree trouble when needing to go anywhere from 150 yards or more. The only club in my bag that I can count on to fade the majority of the time when I try to fade it.

When I carried 4 Wood, it was firmly #3 for me.

90% off the tee for me.

Mine is probably closer to 95%. The 2 courses I play the most both only have 2 par 5s so that influences things. But I'm also a poor fairway wood player off the deck. Put it on a tee and I'm much better.

Until I got my Mizunos, the 3 wood was in my bag primarily to look pretty, because I sure as Lucifer couldn't hit it off the turf or the tee with any consistency. Now, however, I use it for both and am tickled pink to be able to do so!

I voted as a second tee club. I'll use it over driver on anything under 400 yards unless it's a wide open hole. I'm much less likely to have things get out of hand with a mis-hit from a 3 wood as I would be with one from my driver.

I'll use it on par 5's as a tee club too if there is trouble where the driver would end up or if it's a little tight for comfort. Only rarely is it used to try to reach a par 5 in two, and that depends on the shot needed and how I'm hitting the ball that day.

I love my 3w. off the tee, from the fairway, from the rough, between my legs and backwards... I'll use it anyway I can and need to.

I use it both ways. Only chance I have to get to a Par 5 in two is when using it on my second shot.

Back