The Opposite Clubs: How Would it Impact You

I'm sure my scores would climb, just from the uncertainty with the new clubs.

Considering how bad my iron play has been I imagine it would stay the same or maybe even improve once I got used to the new distances.

Then a set of those and I’d shoot maybe 2-3 shots better. Which ones in particular?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Cleveland Altitudes immediately come to mind. The current model, the Launcher HB has 1-2 mm of offset, but mine were bent to be dead on neutral. A number of larger clubs can be done at neutral.

I think my scores would go up if I moved to MB and stay the same if I moved to SGI. I currently play apex cf16's. I know my irons help me vs a MB/blade, but don't think I'd gain or lose anything moving to a SGI iron.

Well I've played blades and am currently playing GI irons. Score wise, I think would be similar to maybe a little higher. The biggest advantage I get with my GI irons is more comfort on those 170-215 yard shots. A blade in my 4 or 5 iron is something I can hit, but disaster awaits if I'm any bit off.

If I am playing a longer course, I will be more reliant on my driver to make sure I'm giving myself shots I feel relatively comfortable in. With GI irons, even though I know shots gained is a thing, I can be comfortable leaving some yardage on the table since Im not as apprehensive of hitting those longer irons.

If I got to keep my hybrids I'm sure I'd score a little worse with MB versus GI only because my home course isn't overly long and I could manage hitting 7-P on most holes. If we got into 4 5 6 in MB then I'm probably in big trouble.

I think if I had to switch from my cavity backs then I would most assuredly be in a bit of trouble, but it would be interesting to see what really happened.

I play something in the middle so I don't know which way you go. Either direction (blades or super game improvement) would cause higher scores because I am a headcase and would lose confidence

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Don't think that would bode well for me. I can't stand to look at the clubhead, like the larger profile irons have. Hybrid clubs especially. So psychologically I'm pretty sure my game would suffer.

I'm a pretty low-spin player, which is part of why I'm enjoying MB/CB irons. My Cobra F6 irons were forgiving, but getting them to stop was always a problem, especially beyond 160 yards.

I don't think my scores would change much if I switched to GI/SGI irons. They haven't gone up in an appreciable way since I switched to player's clubs.

I don't see a big change happening since I play the middle of the road now and have gone both directions with basically no change in Handicap. Just different clubs for the distance needed

Down to 9 or so and up to 12 no matter what I play.

Would probably score about the same with chunky irons. Would not be happy looking at them though.

Going to a MB would make me look good on the course at least, hopefully not a lot of people would be on the course to see the results though....

When I am in-form/in-season, I don't think my score would switch that much. If I was very rusty, and played blades, I think it would be bad news.

I don’t know until I try is my answer. My game is improving each year. So I am currently still open minded to change in golf play and swings. Also if I like the clubs and practice a lot shouldn’t be too much change in score.

Overall I’m always optimistic and believe it’s the golfer not the club.

Horrible, if I was in either camp my scores would go down for sure, now for the better player going to game improvement clubs, eventually the scores would get better, but I can't see an average golfer being able to improve while playing blade irons, unless they got some drastic help on the swing/practice side

Switch from my Hot Metals to muscle backs? Oh, it'd likely cost me, 1, 2, maybe 3 stokes .... PER HOLE!!!

I'm realistic enough to know that cavity backs are better suited for my game, and the time that I can devote to improving it. At the end of the day, my $3 bet with my buddies depends on what I scored, not with what clubs I used to achieve the score.

This is an easy one for me I have played ap2s and some older blade type irons and currently gaming ap3. So from going to huge offset irons I’d be in hook city. I would have to aim way right and hit my draw or try to fade like crazy.

This is an easy one for me I have played ap2s and some older blade type irons and currently gaming ap3. So from going to huge offset irons I’d be in hook city. I would have to aim way right and hit my draw or try to fade like crazy.

As mentioned earlier there are number of larger irons with limited offset.

On a side note I’m definitely not comfortable playing musclebacks and I’m much more comfortable playing irons between blades and game improvement.

When I made then change from kind of a GI iron to a more classic cavity back iron my GIR went up 2-3X. My guess going SGI it would go back in the opposite direction.

I play middle of the road clubs right now and am improving as the weather gets warmer. I had a Callaway demo day at my club last week so tried the new clubs out. The Apex forged clubs were easier to draw and seemed few yards shorter than the Big Berthas. The BBs were lighter weight, easier to hit, and flew a lot higher as well. (Maybe it's the weight) I could play either as well as I do my current Rogues once I got used to them. My game depends more on control than distance, so if I can hit a club straight at my target, it doesn't matter if I have to move up or down a club to hit the green.

I am vcurrently gaming Miura 1957 baby blades. I feel if you can hit those things you could hit anything, and if I wasn't so bull headed and played GI irons, my scores would definitely improve.

I believe it would be, what the kids today call, a s**tshow.

If you had players irons and a decent game to play them, going to SGI wouldn't be as tough as the opposite. You might over shoot the greens because the lofts would be lower and might over draw them a little because of the offset. Now, going the other way...I think if you play SGI and was told to play a MB, mentally your screwed from the jump. You already have a preconceived notion that you can't play these irons!

It's becoming scary how often Mr Cobb's written what I was going to say . . . .

For me, there would definitely be a large (I almost said major, but thought better of it) mental component, exemplified in two quotes:

"Ninety percent of this game is half mental." - Yogi Berra

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're probably right." - Henry Ford

Back