The Opposite Clubs: How Would it Impact You

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Let's say you play players' irons and you were told you had to switch to the largest profile irons out there for 10 rounds. Or the opposite in that you play hybrid irons, and you have to switch to muscleback irons for the next 10 rounds. How would it impact your score and why?

Let's say you play players' irons and you were told you had to switch to the largest profile irons out there for 10 rounds. Or the opposite in that you play hybrid irons, and you have to switch to muscleback irons for the next 10 rounds. How would it impact your score and why?

F9's all the way through the bag? I'd demand a 3 iron and just hit every fairway and green.

Might need some music since everyone will keep telling me I am boring hahaha

Would be course dependent, but if I were to play mbs I’m thinking my score would go up a good 5-6 strokes a round. It’s close to as dramatic a difference in scoring as I could make.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I probably would score worse, I struggle with inconsistent striking and the SGI/GI irons help keep the distance and the ball somewhere playable. I would be a mess with players irons, though I love the way they look, feel, and sound.

I don't think it would matter much to go either way(MBs or SGI). I played SGI irons recently.

I think my scores might go up, but not significantly. I feel like even with a smaller profile I’d be able to score decently.

I think I would play better. After buying a couple of the new PM19 wedges, I'm already liking the larger footprint.

I'm not sure it would affect me much. Especially if I had time to warm up and figure out yardages. It's an interesting thought, and something I'd like to put to the test.

I know, based on a GC2, that I lose about 5 yards with a blade vs my Cobra FTs, I've never tried hitting something that is considered SGI, so I wonder if I'd see big gains, or if I would lose control? :thinking:

I know that the bigger profiles are designed for a lot of forgiveness, but if you're used to a relatively center strike, and a certain shot shape, would you lose it with the SGI clubs?

I wouldn't care about my score, but play 10 rounds as fast as possible to get my beauties back.

So if I keep it in brand, that would be the JPX 919 Hot metals.

honestly probably wouldn't change my score a bit. Ive done plenty of testing between player irons and supposed SGI irons and my scores on average are the same. I just like the look of the smaller head better :)

why is this: It's because it's up to me to make the swing haha. the more forgiving iron isn't going to dramatically help when I top or fat an iron which is typically how I miss. Maybe not the case for every one, but Ive done the tsting with my game over the past 3-4 years and literally no difference for average score.

I know that the bigger profiles are designed for a lot of forgiveness, but if you're used to a relatively center strike, and a certain shot shape, would you lose it with the SGI clubs?

Do you think you hit the center nuts most of the time?

I actually did this last round. I switched from the RXF to the Cleveland Black irons with Miyazaki shafts. I loved the distance gains and not having to worry about impact but not being able to keep the ball flight down was rough.

Mentally I did better with the SGI being longer and leaving me with "one less" club in and they felt great but it was a learning experience to just put the ball up there and hope the wind didn't take too much control.

It would definitely be a fun challenge. I think going from a GI club to a MB would add strokes for sure.

I tried few muscle back and SGI last few years. Honestly my score was not heavily effected with either set. I’m not great iron player but not too bad. I played smarter golf with blades and I tend to play reckless with SGI. Either way I notice I score similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No not most of the time, but my miss is center high or center low. Rarely off left or right

Posted by my thumbs.

Then you would get pretty dramatically different results.

I guess I am in the middle of the pack with FTB, so I could talk about going blades as well.

Would need to avoid any bottom weighting to keep spin as low as possible, and would most certainly have to get them bent strong a couple degrees to accommodate for my dynamic loft, but I really don't think my dispersion on the iron head would be significant enough to see sweeping changes.. If anything a bit more control which could lead to hunting pins rather than playing to big parts of the green.

Would definitely change my long iron game though. I prefer an easier to hit iron around 190+

i like to play that middling profile. smallish, but with all the distance i can get. so it's not a giant leap to go either way.

i played blades for a few rounds last year just because, why not? one of those rounds was with wardy and your buddy. it was fun for a little while, but my short game wasn't good enough to accommodate for the missed greens.

i haven't played sgi irons in a long time. my guess is i would score a lot better, because my mishits would still find the green more often than happens with my gamers.

If you had players irons and a decent game to play them, going to SGI wouldn't be as tough as the opposite. You might over shoot the greens because the lofts would be lower and might over draw them a little because of the offset. Now, going the other way...I think if you play SGI and was told to play a MB, mentally your screwed from the jump. You already have a preconceived notion that you can't play these irons!

If you had players irons and a decent game to play them, going to SGI wouldn't be as tough as the opposite. You might over shoot the greens because the lofts would be lower and might over draw them a little because of the offset. Now, going the other way...I think if you play SGI and was told to play a MB, mentally your screwed from the jump. You already have a preconceived notion that you can't play these irons!

Keep in mind, that offset doesn't necessarily cause a draw, especially with many of the irons having lower spin naturally by design.

I hit MP18 blades now. I hit maybe 2 or 3 a round that I’d consider real miss hits. Swapping to super game improvement irons would ruin my score. Most if not all have a lot of offset. I struggle missing left now, I’d miss left all day long with those clubs. I like my blades because they have less offset

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

After a slight adjustment period for the distance, height and accuracy change, I think I would be just as bad as I am today! :angel:

I hit MP18 blades now. I hit maybe 2 or 3 a round that I’d consider real miss hits. Swapping to super game improvement irons would ruin my score. Most if not all have a lot of offset. I struggle missing left now, I’d miss left all day long with those clubs. I like my blades because they have less offset

There are larger club heads that have very minimal offset.

There are larger club heads that have very minimal offset.

Then a set of those and I’d shoot maybe 2-3 shots better. Which ones in particular?

Back