Wilson Staff FG V4 IRONS

Yesterday's round was another where these irons were rock solid for me. No big misses and when I get the short irons in hand I have extreme confidence to go at any flag. Highlights yesterday were a PW from 141 to 12 inches, a few GW's from 133 to inside 10', a high soaring 7i to recover after a poor shot on a par 5.
It behooves me that these irons aren't more popular than they are.

Yesterday's round was another where these irons were rock solid for me. No big misses and when I get the short irons in hand I have extreme confidence to go at any flag. Highlights yesterday were a PW from 141 to 12 inches, a few GW's from 133 to inside 10', a high soaring 7i to recover after a poor shot on a par 5.
It behooves me that these irons aren't more popular than they are.

IMO It's because of the Wilson Staff label. Put a popular name on them and they would move a hell of a lot better.

IMO It's because of the Wilson Staff label. Put a popular name on them and they would move a hell of a lot better.
Eh, I still lean that it's much more an availability thing than a name or label thing. Looks would get these in hands regardless of name/label, of they were found easily.

Something they are pushing to remedy, but still not quite there yet.

Eh, I still lean that it's much more an availability thing than a name or label thing. Looks would get these in hands regardless of name/label, of they were found easily.

This was my thought as well. I don't know very many golfers (outside of THP) who buy an iron set without trying them first and if W/S can't get their clubs in peoples hands during that process they simply won't sell. I always thought W/S struggles were local to Canada but it sounds like their availability in the USA is pretty suspect as well.

Another issue became apparent in the C200 review thread where guys who went to demo those clubs (or the F5 in one instance) were met with part time reps indifferent to the product(s) and limited options as far as heads and shafts to try out.

One thing we tend to forget is Wilson sports is much like Nike in that it is a multi-sport brand of which golf is just a small part. We as players see the potential in their offerings but in their overall corporate structure they're just a small portion, and have marketing and R&D dollars allocated accordingly.

I haven't gotten a round in with mine yet but some range time. They are so buttery and nice. The dispersion is so great as well. For even most of my misses are pretty close to center. Still trying to figure out my distances vs my Adams CB1 but that will come. Also contemplating reshafting to project x from the dg pro.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had another decent round striking these today, there is truly a pure strike and then every else. I was laying up on a par 5 and absolutely pured it with a 5 iron and was shocked how far it went. My buddy asked if I hit my 3 wood, it was crazy long for me.

But then there was the normal stuff that I hit just a bit fat or off towards toe and and was a club short. Not a club to be taken lightly by any means, need more range time but wrist and hand pain is limiting that. I will be going back to Graphite for sure with the next set, unless the fitting shows a really strong reason to stay with Steel.

This is why I didn't get them, fell in love with the S55's and couldn't compare them to each other.

Well I played what was most likely my last round with the FG Tour V4s yesterday. These irons have been so damn good to me since putting them in the bag and this parting of ways is bitter sweet (Hogan PTx Incoming).
My last few rounds have featured personal best GIR stats and yesterday was my best round ever at Pagoda Ridge.

These irons are going out on top.

Well I played what was most likely my last round with the FG Tour V4s yesterday. These irons have been so damn good to me since putting them in the bag and this parting of ways is bitter sweet (Hogan PTx Incoming).
My last few rounds have featured personal best GIR stats and yesterday was my best round ever at Pagoda Ridge.

These irons are going out on top.

Keep them on hand just in case. Newer doesn't always equal better.

This is true, but we also know he's prepping for the long term review of the Hogan's here on the forum.

True. But I think an honest head to head comparison to current gamers is beneficial to the review process, IMHO.

This is true, but we also know he's prepping for the long term review of the Hogan's here on the forum.
Affirmative. I have no doubt the Hogan's will perform wonderfully, and even if they do not (not likely) they will be in my bag for this season no matter what in order to review them for the forum (and the world).

True. But I think an honest head to head comparison to current gamers is beneficial to the review process, IMHO.

Not to worry, I'll be posting comparative thoughts to the irons I've spent time with for sure.

I have really liked the V4, they are a very good iron for the target group intended and I am at the edge of that group any more. My only complaint is a loss of distance, but that could be a lot of things not related to these sticks. I have a love / hate relationship with the DG Pro shafts, I don't seem to load them correctly to get the best out of them but boy are they accurate. If I just put my ego aside and pull one more club things work out fine.

Maybe a lighter flex would have been a better fit for me, it will be fun to compare them to the Hogans.

I have really liked the V4, they are a very good iron for the target group intended and I am at the edge of that group any more. My only complaint is a loss of distance, but that could be a lot of things not related to these sticks. I have a love / hate relationship with the DG Pro shafts, I don't seem to load them correctly to get the best out of them but boy are they accurate. If I just put my ego aside and pull one more club things work out fine.

Maybe a lighter flex would have been a better fit for me, it will be fun to compare them to the Hogans.
My only complaint with the V4s are that I don't really like the DG Pros in the 5i and 4i. I find they are noticeably softer at the tip and it feels a little weird.

It will be real cool to try out the Hogans with the Tour V, I hope they can SS them on installation (I requested it but never got any confirmation if it was possible) it should make them play about perfect for me, but even if they are not no problem they will rock.

The good news is today I got some good meds from the knee doc so I hope to be feeling spry for the Event and could play rebar if needed.

Well I sold the FG Tour V4s today and it's bittersweet for me. I loved those irons so much and I loved having them in the stable as I firmly believe they were the best iron on the market of their size.

That said the PTx are better for me and my game, offer more tech, and tug at my heartstrings just as much.

Well I sold the FG Tour V4s today and it's bittersweet for me. I loved those irons so much and I loved having them in the stable as I firmly believe they were the best iron on the market of their size.

That said the PTx are better for me and my game, offer more tech, and tug at my heartstrings just as much.

Great irons

Back