Golf Myths - 2019 Editions

aljaklaw

bobo
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
tequila
There are lot of myths, misnomers, and misconceptions in and around the game of golf. These falsehoods continue to live on today, even though some have been thoroughly debunked ages ago. You will hear these "tips" on the range, from your buddies, and even some instructors!

One example is the idea that you have to pinch the ball against the turf to compress and launch the ball. Absolutely false! Every single club in your bag is lofted away from the ground; if you are "compressing" the ball into the ground that means you just topped your ball...

What other myths do you know of that continue to live on in 2019?

The old gotta keep your head down. I play with a guy every now and then that blames his head movement for every bad shot then spend the next two minutes practicing his swing with his head never moving. 2 shots later he repeats the whole process over again.

When guys tee the ball lower when hitting into a head wind, thinking it helps.

Keep your head down, keep your left heel planted, keep your left arm straight. Those three will live on like death and taxes. I’m glad that I learned mostly from my dad who alerted me early on to these three common myths.

After topping the first 3 shots on a Par 5, you MUST wait for the green to clear from 280. Because.. well, you never know.

Oh, and that trees are 90% air.

Lots of people thinking they drive the ball over 250 on average is definitely a myth. There are many people longer than I, but compared to the golfing masses, I am fairly long, but if playing at sea level, I would probably average 250-ish off the tee, so I know that most do not hit it 250.

is that a myth? haha

i know plenty of guys who do it and there are noticeable differences in ball flight and control. not giving you a hard time haha, honest question

is that a myth? haha

i know plenty of guys who do it and there are noticeable differences in ball flight and control. not giving you a hard time haha, honest question
In general, striking it lower on the head will increase backspin. Into the wind that added spin hurts much more than a high ball.

YES!! Drivers spin low enough and golf balls have better aero properties these days!! JUST SEND IT!!

Women have to play ladies flex...

(going through this right now with the mrs, she crushes the Apex on reg flex vs her Fly-Z on ladies)

Waiting for the green to clear before teeing off on a Par 4/5

Blades spin less than GI irons

Golf Ball doesn't matter

Slice=fade or hook=draw

Because your HC is ?? you can't play a forward set of tee boxes.

Because your HC is ?? you can't play a forward set of tee boxes.

People playing the wrong set of tees in general. Oh you can hit a good drive 280.... but usually you slice it into woods. Why are you playing the tips again?

There are lot of myths, misnomers, and misconceptions in and around the game of golf. These falsehoods continue to live on today, even though some have been thoroughly debunked ages ago. You will hear these "tips" on the range, from your buddies, and even some instructors!

One example is the idea that you have to pinch the ball against the turf to compress and launch the ball. Absolutely false! Every single club in your bag is lofted away from the ground; if you are "compressing" the ball into the ground that means you just topped your ball...

I argue this one all the time with my buddy. I ask him: "Which is harder, a ball or the grass?" (The ball) "So if you try to pinch the ball between the club and the turf, which will give way first?" (The turf)

Please correct me if my science doesn't hold up.

Is that a myth? Do people think that?

Yeah.... have had a salesman say that to me during a "fitting" and have had a person I play with say they switched to blades to reduce spin.

Yeah.... have had a salesman say that to me during a "fitting" and have had a person I play with say they switched to blades to reduce spin.

Haha wow. Interesting to say the least

Walkers slow the game up...

That is my biggest pet peeve. I am now not walking due to my "I hit 40 and my body is falling apart" issues. But one of my regular guys i play with always walks and guess who is normally at the green first? It's not me.

Walkers slow the game up...

That is my biggest pet peeve. I am now not walking due to my "I hit 40 and my body is falling apart" issues. But one of my regular guys i play with always walks and guess who is normally at the green first? It's not me.

Well, I will amend this by saying good walkers aren't slow. High cap walkers, can tend to be slow because they are usually going down the fairway, and across from side to side.

Not really a Golf myth per say, but a myth concerning a buddy that plays in our group about 3 times a year.

He claims he has made a HIO because his tee shot off a par 3 tee (Hole #3) that went in the hole on an adjacent green (Hole #5) about 40yds right of intended green.

It's a conversation that comes up almost every time we play with him. He has convinced himself it should be considered a HIO and he's not totally wrong.

It was a HIO, just the wrong HOLE. I just tell him if he considers it a HIO he owes us several drinks and that usually shuts him up, til the next time.

If someone still believes that, they should have followed me on Saturday. I pinched the ball against the turf plenty, as I rolled the ball down the fairway...

Maybe I could see this as a kind of feel or visual? But, yeah, definitely not what's happening...

In general, striking it lower on the head will increase backspin. Into the wind that added spin hurts much more than a high ball.

True guess I forgot about that. I guess it depends on the player and the strike he or she gives it.

I know if I tee it too low I get a low ball with high spin that loses way right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A high handicapper can't give advice to a low handicapper.

Just because I can't DO it, doesn't mean I don't know how it SHOULD be done.

Belacheat couldn't play any position on the field, including kicker, but her can tell every one of them, even Marsha, how to do it and do it better.

1. Cold does not affect golf ball distance

2. If teamed up with people you do not know- they will be a holes.

3. Women are always slower than men

4. People who walk are slow.

Back