Are You Better Than 1 Year Ago?

Yes, I have actually swung a club and played rounds. I had to take 3-4 years off due to life so I am way better than before.

I'm about 1/2 stroke better than last year, but I feel like with my putting improvements and better iron game that will drop this year.
0077c2a460e8483f8402699c067bf3e9.jpg

I'm way better than I was a year ago.
I think it came from playing in the Morgan Cup. That REALLY helped me with my confidence and drove me to keep getting better.

Just checked the handicap record and last year on April 15th I was at 11.8, as of April 1st this year I am 11.6 so ever so slightly better but it does not feel that way at all.

I'm much more consistent tee to green than I was last year. My putting was worse with the Scotty Cameron until I came to my senses and put the V Line back in the bag, now it seems even better than before.

Last year at this time I was a 7.3, currently sitting at 5.2 My play has been trending back towards the 7 though right now, play is quite erratic right now. Shot a 75 then a week later was an 88 so all over.

About the same unfortunately. An injury in late 2018 derailed some progress I had made regarding ball striking and am working to get that back now.

My handicap was at a 12 last year. Currently sitting at an 8. My short game is way better, and really the only thing that keeps me in the 80's. My putting seems much worse, but in reality it is probably unchanged. Overall my game has become better, but I'm still not fully satisfied.

Living in Pittsburgh, I haven’t had the chance to play a round yet this season. With that said, I’ve hit more golf balls from February until now than I did all last season. Feeling good about my striking. Gotta make some tweaks to the swing, but I think it will translate to my play on the course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Started to care less about handicap and just play.

With that said I'm happier with my game now than a year ago despite better scores a year ago. Striking the ball better and getting off the tee much better.

measurably worse. Last year was down to 16.8. GHIN did not take that as a baseline, so when I got my first 7 scores in this year, a sparkling 24.6.
Completely, indisputably related to health, the back injury both restricts my turn and keeps me from keeping the trunk quiet when I need to. When it starts really hurting I tend to stand up during the swing, leading to tops or thins. So I struggle with every aspect of the game and of all aspects, the most might be putting. I feel so much tension when trying to putt I often rush it just to alleviate.

So hopefully it will return rather quickly to my prior skillset.

I was slightly better at the end of last year from the beginning of the year. Mostly due to getting the new Callaway Epic driver near the end of the season.
I was hitting more fairways and gained a few yards over the previous gamer. (SLDR)
This year will be very interesting to see how much the driver helps overall. The season just began last week with my first round of 2019.
I shot 38-43. Since I'm not in golf shape yet, I got pretty tired on the back 9 which shows in the score.

Not any better than last year. I will be working on my game as soon as the foul weather is gone. Sometime this year! Lol

My index is half a point better than last year in April, but my range was 4 to 6.5 last year so I sit right in the middle of the range currently. I am hoping I am better, but have yet to be able to play the courses I normally play. I certainly did not feel I was better while playing at sea level at the Morgan Cup. That pressure tightened up my rear end, much more than at the local amateur events I play in.

Last edited:
I have hovered around the same since last year. I don't get a lot of time to practice so its hard to get consistent. I have worked on course management to help try and shave some strokes though. Always mid to low 80's.

Maybe the same? The whole wrist thing is putting a decent little hindrance on actually getting better, but I'm kind of vacationing from the grind anyways right now.

4/1/2018 i was a 6.3
4/1/2019 i am a 4.4

so yeah, better as a paper tiger. but it's so hard to say for sure. i'm still one of those guys who can go shoot 76 just as easily as 86.

A lot of us are just starting our season. Too early to tell.

Yes. But at this time a year ago I was at a 4 year worst.

Handicap wise I am four strokes worse this year than last. Game wise I am cautiously optimistic that my game is trending in the correct direction.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm better than I was this time last year but not quite where I was in October 2018. My scores this time last year were all in the upper 90s. By October, I was in the mid to upper 80s. So far this year, I'm 6-8 shots or more better than April 2018.

Crazy thing this time last year was that I was fairly consistent with the driver off the tee. Now, I'm lost with the driver but better with all other full shots.

My short game is loads better....much better feel for pitching and chipping. My handicap is better down by 5

Yes. Being retired, I'm now blessed with the time to improve and I really enjoy golf practice, trial and error, testing stuff etc... I feel for those with zero time as I put my clubs away for almost 20 years due to other priorities. I had improved a lot since coming back but was plateaued in the 12-14 range for a couple years, up until mid 2018.

A few things really clicked to support the handicap improvement I enjoyed from mid summer 2018 to present (below). Last June, I bought a driver with technology that just fits ME so well. Fairway % jumped up and severity of my misses improved greatly. My penalties off the tee are down over 400%. Also, all the work on my putting and short game started to show real results. I'm still a worse putter than the average golfer with my handicap but I'm no longer THE worst putter. My up/down % is now nearly up to average and my sand game has improved to the point that it is now well above average for similar golfers. My GIR was always a relative strength, but it is is also still improving as I keep practicing.

I've never been under 10 before. It's fun riding this wave right now, but I know how golf is. Gut punch is sure to be coming.

GnYPtYL.png

I'm not but I've played only twice since October. I'll be better than a year ago in another month or so now that the courses are opening and I can practice my short game again.

About 1 shot better via my GHIN and honestly that's probably about right, but I am hitting the ball better and feel more confident, which has actually led to having more fun, if my body could hold up that is!

Back