Are You Better Than 1 Year Ago?

Handicap is less than a year ago so in that aspect yes. I feel like I'm more consistent than 1 year ago. I still have my struggles, but I think I'm slowly improving.

Handicap wise, yes I am better. i think this time last year i was around 10.5 ish and i am currently 9.1

I feel like i am better as well. More confident. a tad different swing that allows me to be a bit more consistent. So while my good scores are not much different (although I have now had a few rounds in the 70s since last year), my top end scores are not as bad. My average has dropped from around 88 to 84.

now I just have to hope it sticks around haha

Very much better. More consistent off the tee and improved my putting. I've been working hard on both, now trying to up my fitness routine to get a bit longer.

I am leaps and bounds better than last year at this time. While my handicap had dipped by a few points down from a 24, my striking with the irons has improved tremendously. My rounds are much more consistently below 100, and I am much more confident. I still have my flaws, but golf has become much more fun over the last year. This year, my goal is to score a round below 90, and I think it is certainly achievable. I think a lot of it has to do with just reading posts on this forum and talking to THPers. My clubs fit better, my course management is better, and my confidence is better.

I am exactly the same.

I improved from last year with my short game, but over all I feel I'm about the same place as I was last year scoring wise.

Yes, but that is not saying much. One year ago I was just getting back into the game after about 10 years away.

12->8 from a year ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4/1/2018 i was a 6.3
4/1/2019 i am a 4.4

so yeah, better as a paper tiger. but it's so hard to say for sure. i'm still one of those guys who can go shoot 76 just as easily as 86.

Ahhh... the life of the mid-single digit handicapper. Most people think we are good, but we know we are not.

I am significantly better than a year ago, but that is not hard, as I took up the game a year ago.

It is almost exactly a year, actually. Last April 14, I shot a 110 at a local Muni and that was with a whole lot of mulligans.

I now aim to shoot low 90s, and do for most rounds. I have broken 90 and I can still put up over 100 without trying too hard, but those are honest scores.

I got here by working hard at it. Taking lessons, lots of practice and lots of play. I also have learned to incorporate course management and shot management into my game. I try to not rely on perfect shots to reach a goal, i.e. "if I flush my 7I, hit a little draw I can drop it on the pin tucked left at 150." Instead, I will pull a wedge, lay up on the long side and give myself a better approach.

I have also found being honest with myself about what I can and can't do has helped a ton.

Finally, I practice all sorts of different shots with different clubs. I'll hit my 52 to targets from 10 to 85 yards away, as an example, so I know how to hit different distances with different clubs. I do this with just about every club I have to one extent or another. My 7I, I'll practice 50 to 150. 9I from 25 to 125, etc.

My most recent Handicap is 20.7 and I know I will be mid teens this year.

Nope. Believe it or not, having a kid does not give you an abundance of time to work on your game. The good news is that I don't think I've regressed at all, but I have not gotten better. With kid #2 on the way this fall I can only imagine things won't change for a few years.

Better. Play more, pay more attention to fundamentals, and (probably most importantly) have irons that were custom fit to me. A "poor" round for me at this point in time would've been "acceptable" a year ago. Now having a 5 month old will probably derail this a bit, but hope to still play once a week (flexible work schedule).

About the same. Don't feel like I got better or worse really last year. Think my driver and irons got better, my short game got worse. Scored about the same.

I'm better, handicap wise. I'm probably about the same in reality. Trying to play to a handicap that is still carrying over from the previous October after a long winter sucks.

I'm far worse at the moment. Hurt my back last year, developed some really bad habits, including an OTT move. Just working through that, and I'll be back to where I was in no time.

Yes, I am better. My handicap is 3.5 higher, but that's because it takes forever to get it back up when you start playing like crap. However, I feel like I'm striking the ball better than anytime I have in the past year and more, I just need my chipping to come back to form.

Of course I am. Year ago I didn't even play yet :D

I'm much worse. One word....baby. They are so dang cute, but man do they kill your golf game.

I'm much worse. One word....baby. They are so dang cute, but man do they kill your golf game.
Oh man don't say that to me! We're in pre planning stage lol I know my free time will take a hit so this might be my last summer of absolute freedom

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Handicap is a lot worse. Probably about 10-15 shots higher.

I'm worse. I think my handicap at the beginning of last season was around 5.5 and now I'll start around 7.3. I think I drive the ball better now and my short game is probably similar but my iron game is horrible and I have to prove I can putt again.

Way worse to tune of 7-8 shots. I usually play 80-100 rounds per year and last year I played 10-12. I had a couple injuries and just didn't feel like playing. I have a bum knee at the moment which sucks because I really feel like playing

Worse. I tried a swing change that led to a lot of inconsistencies, of which I’m at least consistent. Didn’t have an official but was probably a 2. Now I’m an 8.8 and trying to stop the bleeding.

Other than the 5 1/2" between my ears, I've never had an "official" handicap. Thus, I cannot say for sure whether I'm better or worse than this time last year. However, I think this year will be better than last year, for several reasons. First, I'm playing more. My number of rounds played in the first 3 months of this year is already half the total number of rounds from last year. Second, I'm really focusing on my swing this year. A few years ago, I started trying to use Kirk Junge's Setup for Impact method (a form of the single plane swing). I had gotten away from it, but started working on it again in January. So far, the results have been positive.

Third, I've rebuilt my entire bag, except the putter. Each club is now fit to me, which is a first from the full bag perspective. So far, I absolutely love my Mizunos, from the driver down to the lob wedge. I'm hitting the fairway more consistently and I'm a touch longer off the tee. My fairway wood/hybrid game has noticeably improved. My iron shots are more crisp, and my fat & thin shot percentages are way down. I feel like my GIR % has improved a small bit, but now my misses are just off the green, rather than missing 25-30 yards in all directions.

My game still needs a lot of work. I still average mid-80's, with occasional rounds in the 70's, and yes, I am still quite capable of ballooning up to a 96. This is primarily due to my chipping/pitching. By far the weakest part of my game. This puts tremendous pressure on my putting. My golfing buddies claim I'm a good putter, because I make/barely miss a lot of long putts. If I can improve my chipping/pitching, I hope I can significantly improve my putting stats.

My scores are pretty much the same as last year but my iron play is significantly better. Unfortunately, I've forgotten how to get off a tee box. Once I square that away, I'll be a good 8-10 strokes better than last year, assuming the rest of my game holds up (yeah right).

Back