Are You Better Than 1 Year Ago?

Better,
I gave my driver two years of time out while I tried to groove an iron swing and focus on putting. That worked out pretty well, putting is now the strongest part of my game and I’ve got to the point where I’m swinging the club head, loading my body and the shaft. The driver is much better and I’m hitting the fairway most of the time.

The other positive change is a move away from playing golf swing and focusing more on picking a target and working my way around the course with a plan.

Last edited:
Much better than a year ago, maybe 2-3 strokes better. I’m down to a 7.2 and hovered around 10 last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After 8 years of playing only 10 or so rounds I joined a club last season. I went from high to low 80s with a few in the 70s. I have finally realized that although the driver is important, my good wedge shots are what make me birdies. I have learned that 3 wood and my hybrid are good tee shot choices on many of the holes at my course. Hopefully working on my short game will lead to even better scores in 2019.

My handicap typically gets down to around a 3 at the end of the season. Sometimes a mid to low 2. Then the long layoff. 6 months later when I'm playing again, it tends to climb to a 4-5 range. Then around July I start getting in stride. Then it creeps back down. October hits, rinse and repeat.

I have been playing a Sim league the last few years. But, since the sim isn't exactly accurate and I have to adjust my game to score in the league, I think it almost hurts more than it helps.

This off season I've been focusing on some swing adjustments. I know more about my swing now than I ever have. I know what needs to improve. It's just a matter of doing it consistently. I've also dedicated my off season to rehabbing my back. Last year I couldn't play two days in a row without the second day being pure garbage. A good chiropractor, strength training, and some DDP Yoga should have me in good shape for the season. I'm hoping to hit the ground running.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I'm hitting the ball better, for sure. A year ago was a real low point for me though and I'm still not where I want to be.

Went back to a course I played a bunch last year. Shot a 90 where my previous best was a 97, and I had a bunch of rounds over 100. Almost exactly 1 year ago, I shot a 65 on the back 9 my first time on this course. Today I shot a 43.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

I am better. Driving the ball farther. Much better at getting it closer to the pin from 40-90 yards. But my handicap doesn't show it. I joined a group last year that travels to some of the top courses in the area. So to have my traveling handicap match my pre-traveling handicap.

I’m better than a year ago, but just now getting back to where I was before the winter season.

Last year I started to play fairly well. Then, last June, I had to discontinue playing for 4 months due to illness and surgery. Now that the weather is getting better, my game is back up to where I was, and have had some streaks where I amaze even myself. If I can continue to get consistent, my game should be much better.

When I got back to playing regularly again last year; I was struggling to break 100. I'm now sitting at an 11 with a clear idea of where I need to put the work in to get back to single digits. Consistency off the tee and capitalizing on good approaches being the biggest. I simply don't make enough outside of 10 feet to gain back strokes.

And patience. Easy to forget I'm not in high school competitions trying to get in 18 holes in under 4 hours. If something doesn't feel right; step away and restart the routine. This is golf in Southern California, ffs ... play isn't exactly fast.

Handicap is essentially the same as posting season just started. But I believe I'm better than a year ago. I'm coming in having taken lessons, worked on drills more consistently, and most importantly, understanding my swing and what I need to happen to make good swings. I am in position to hit a 0 handicap which is one of my today goals.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Happy to say yes, I broke 80 on my first 18 holes of the year and while I've broken 80 before I have never done so this early in the season. The winters are long here so it can really wreck feel around greens and add strokes easily. 79 on April 7th, I'll take it.

As of Saturday's round, no. As of Sunday's round, front - no. Back - yes. I'm a human sine wave.

My game always seems to be better at the beginning of the season. All of the bad habits have gone away over the winter and early season golf is more carefree with the happiness of seeing the snow gone and the golf courses open. As the season progresses I take my golf more seriously and more thoughts creep into my head as I stand over the ball.

Started the year at 29, sitting at 27 right now, trending in the 26s.

I'm 2 blow up holes from being sub 20s, just got to learn to conserve when in trouble. But I would say all around the game is much better than it was last year

Better but still super inconsistent. I put in a simulator this winter so I was able to work on my swing. That has helped a lot with iron striking, one of my issues. I dropped from a 24.8 index to a 22.4 at the end of the season. After a few rounds this year I'm at a 22.1 index and have scored as well as I did at the end of last season. I have high hopes to break 90 this year, I already have a 97 and a 94 this year (also a 92ish that I didn't count because of a mulligan and it was more of a practice round. Ideally I think that about a 15 handicap is my long term sweet spot if I can keep up the work i've been putting in. I also switched to the one length F7 irons and so far that has helped. I just got a stock set so if my improvements continue this year I think I'd like to get fitted for the F9's this fall.

Back