2016 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

We did the same thing here ... the one day my daughter can't make it, is the day we have partners :( still had a really good workout. My partner kept apologizing, but she was trying really hard, and it was not an issue. I ended the class doing burpees, because I struggle getting my heart rate up in the weight room and I had gone through the require workouts.

You voluntarily did burpees? You are a beast!

My sweet tooth is out of control. I would honestly skip eating all meals if it meant I could just eat frosting all day. I cannot knock this sweet tooth.

You voluntarily did burpees? You are a beast!

My sweet tooth is out of control. I would honestly skip eating all meals if it meant I could just eat frosting all day. I cannot knock this sweet tooth.

I did not eat anything sweet, but the cravings were strong.

Not that it matters, because I have been eating well for almost 2 full weeks now (a month if you don't count that 2 week slip up), I worked out 5 days last week and today will make 5 days this week, and I weigh the exact same as when I started. I am losing faith veeeeeeery quickly. Give me a pound, a freaking pound is that so much to ask?

Tomorrow in another weigh in for me I am hoping for a couple more pounds being gone. I have not been eating anything bad and I won't allow myself to give in. Everyone keep going we can do this

Not that it matters, because I have been eating well for almost 2 full weeks now (a month if you don't count that 2 week slip up), I worked out 5 days last week and today will make 5 days this week, and I weigh the exact same as when I started. I am losing faith veeeeeeery quickly. Give me a pound, a freaking pound is that so much to ask?

i know your frustration. I've been working with my training for 9 weeks. I have dropped 3-3.5% body fat but the scale stayed within a 1lb range. I have to send him pics every week for comparison and he has noted for several weeks a change in body composition. We have made some adjustments along the way and made two this week. The scale this morning finally showed some movement in the right direction and hope it stays that way.

even though you haven't lost weight have you seen a change in your body comp or any other measurable number like body fat %? The scale is just one tool to measure success

I've been doing the Wahoo Fitness 7 minute workout a few times a day, and for a 7 minute workout, it's pretty freaking hard.

Pretty cool that the Tickr X heart rate strap counts your reps for you too.

http://www.wahoofitness.com/sevenminuteworkout

i know your frustration. I've been working with my training for 9 weeks. I have dropped 3-3.5% body fat but the scale stayed within a 1lb range. I have to send him pics every week for comparison and he has noted for several weeks a change in body composition. We have made some adjustments along the way and made two this week. The scale this morning finally showed some movement in the right direction and hope it stays that way.

even though you haven't lost weight have you seen a change in your body comp or any other measurable number like body fat %? The scale is just one tool to measure success

Great point, especially if resistance training is in you routine. The past few weeks I've been lifting 4 days a week and riding my bike the other 3 while eating healthy and I haven't lost much weight but I've gotten stronger and all my clothes fit differently. It is discouraging not to see weight come off every few days but as you say, weight is just one way to measure progress.

Just keep the better eating and fitness in a smart direction most of the time and you will be just fine. Cant get caught up too much in the scale readings. Got to let them go and compare them 3 or 4 weeks apart. Water retention in the body as well as other factors can change daily even to a few pounds in someone my size about 238 I can see as much as 3 lbs difference from day to day and can be quite annoying to see so I just learned to ignore it and keep up good habits most (not all but most) the time and over the long term its all still working very well so far. Also if you are one who doesn't have much body fat to lose you may be adding muscle at the gym which is heavier than fat per area so that's another possible weight gainer while actually being more healthy and also better fit.

Great point, especially if resistance training is in you routine. The past few weeks I've been lifting 4 days a week and riding my bike the other 3 while eating healthy and I haven't lost much weight but I've gotten stronger and all my clothes fit differently. It is discouraging not to see weight come off every few days but as you say, weight is just one way to measure progress.

thats awesome. My trainer has added 3 days if hiit training to my routine alomg with dropping some of my macros to be more aggressive. I have had similar experience where some if my clothes have started to fit a little loose.

I haven't noticed any difference, nothing fits better, nothing looks better. I was going to do the bodpod today but I got to the signup sheet too late and they didn't have anything until like 5pm tonight. I will try and get on the list earlier next time it comes around. I am hoping that will tell me something, because this is so damn discouraging.

I have been busting my butt at the gym. I started with 3 days there and 2 days of running at home, and now it's 5 days there and then a mile walk each day at home, so something has to give at some point. I am eating healthy, tons of veggies and lean meats, and the only carbs I consume are fruit and yogurt, and I am thinking about cutting out the yogurt and going to eggs for breakfast. I just didn't have time this week with Josh gone to cook a breakfast.

I know I am just being a Debbie Downer, and I am not giving up, but it's discouraging and makes me want to go eat a cake...not a piece of a cake an entire cake haha.

195.8 today.

Craziness.

I haven't noticed any difference, nothing fits better, nothing looks better. I was going to do the bodpod today but I got to the signup sheet too late and they didn't have anything until like 5pm tonight. I will try and get on the list earlier next time it comes around. I am hoping that will tell me something, because this is so damn discouraging.

I have been busting my butt at the gym. I started with 3 days there and 2 days of running at home, and now it's 5 days there and then a mile walk each day at home, so something has to give at some point. I am eating healthy, tons of veggies and lean meats, and the only carbs I consume are fruit and yogurt, and I am thinking about cutting out the yogurt and going to eggs for breakfast. I just didn't have time this week with Josh gone to cook a breakfast.

I know I am just being a Debbie Downer, and I am not giving up, but it's discouraging and makes me want to go eat a cake...not a piece of a cake an entire cake haha.

The bodpdod is a great thing. I'm considering doing it to. My trainer uses it for his clients but since he is in ny and I'm in md I have to find one that is convenient.

im guessing you are using WW for tracking purposes? Don't be scared of carbs or fat. Both have benefits when consuming the right ones. One thing I would recommend is checking your sugar intake and see if it's below 100g. How much water are you drinking?

The bodpdod is a great thing. I'm considering doing it to. My trainer uses it for his clients but since he is in ny and I'm in md I have to find one that is convenient.

im guessing you are using WW for tracking purposes? Don't be scared of carbs or fat. Both have benefits when consuming the right ones. One thing I would recommend is checking your sugar intake and see if it's below 100g. How much water are you drinking?

I forgot I eat a lot of sweet potatoes and quinoa, so those are carbs too, just good ones. I am not afraid of them at all, I just avoid pasta and bread and honestly I don't miss it. I don't restrict anything, because I know a good balance is the way to go. So I eat fats like avocado, almond butter, healthy oils for cooking, etc. Everything is just done in moderation.

My typical day is some yogurt and a banana for breakfast before the gym. Then a protein shake after the gym. A salad or left overs from dinner the night before for lunch. I will throw in a cutie or a half a protein bar as a snack if I am hungry, then a well balance healthy dinner. If I am craving something sweet at the end of the night I will eat an apple with a tablespoon of almond butter.

My only liquid is water, or almond milk, no soda. But I can definitely say I don't drink nearly enough water. I am the worst at drinking, I can literally go an entire day without taking a single sip of something. At least now when I work out I drink about 25oz of water during my workout, then 8-10 oz of unsweetened almond milk with my protein shake, and then maybe 1 or 2 more cups of water the rest of the day, that's it.

I am not using anything to track right now, and I guess that's the next step. I just HATE tracking, I get so damn fanatical about it and it becomes a chore which ultimately makes me fail.

I forgot I eat a lot of sweet potatoes and quinoa, so those are carbs too, just good ones. I am not afraid of them at all, I just avoid pasta and bread and honestly I don't miss it. I don't restrict anything, because I know a good balance is the way to go. So I eat fats like avocado, almond butter, healthy oils for cooking, etc. Everything is just done in moderation.

My typical day is some yogurt and a banana for breakfast before the gym. Then a protein shake after the gym. A salad or left overs from dinner the night before for lunch. I will throw in a cutie or a half a protein bar as a snack if I am hungry, then a well balance healthy dinner. If I am craving something sweet at the end of the night I will eat an apple with a tablespoon of almond butter.

My only liquid is water, or almond milk, no soda. But I can definitely say I don't drink nearly enough water. I am the worst at drinking, I can literally go an entire day without taking a single sip of something. At least now when I work out I drink about 25oz of water during my workout, then 8-10 oz of unsweetened almond milk with my protein shake, and then maybe 1 or 2 more cups of water the rest of the day, that's it.

I am not using anything to track right now, and I guess that's the next step. I just HATE tracking, I get so damn fanatical about it and it becomes a chore which ultimately makes me fail.

Just a heads up. http://freedomoutpost.com/are-these-companies-growing-produce-with-oil-industry-waste-water/ Apparently they're using oil industry waste water that is "cleaned" to process the Cuties. My wife told me about this. She ruins everything....

I know my daughter struggles with the exact same thing ... over the last year her body has transformed, but there are weeks were she will remain the same or put on a pound and she was hitting the gym 3 times a week ... she also struggles during her monthly cycle.

I am glad you are not giving up. Below is a picture of my daughter that she created to celebrate her transformation. I am so happy that I get to go on the journey with her. We call our Spartan runs our father/daughter dances now.

The even better news is one of my other daughters wants to join us ... she just got out of a controlling relationship and has lost 20 pounds. She is coming over this evening for our first "walk" ... pretty stoked about that.

Don't have an answer for you, but I know you can do this!!!

49A69FD1-91FB-41FC-9F16-05C631F9C9B3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Just a heads up. http://freedomoutpost.com/are-these-companies-growing-produce-with-oil-industry-waste-water/ Apparently they're using oil industry waste water that is "cleaned" to process the Cuties. My wife told me about this. She ruins everything....

Eh, I don't normally care about that stuff. It's a thick barrier and I peel the skin off so it's all good. :smile: Plus, I don't actually think the brand I buy is cuties, but it's easier to say cuties because that's universally known.

I know my daughter struggles with the exact same thing ... over the last year her body has transformed, but there are weeks were she will remain the same or put on a pound and she was hitting the gym 3 times a week ... she also struggles during her monthly cycle.

I am glad you are not giving up. Below is a picture of my daughter that she created to celebrate her transformation. I am so happy that I get to go on the journey with her. We call our Spartan runs our father/daughter dances now.

The even better news is one of my other daughters wants to join us ... she just got out of a controlling relationship and has lost 20 pounds. She is coming over this evening for our first "walk" ... pretty stoked about that.

Don't have an answer for you, but I know you can do this!!!

Wow, that's an incredible transformation. Congrats on getting your other daughter to join too, that's cool that it's a family affair now.

I couldn't even get JB to drive in the parking lot haha.

So I just entered my food consumption for yesterday and the 2 days before (since I basically ate the exact same thing for 2 days straight) into My Fitness Pal and it came out to about 1300-1600 calories a day (with one day around 1200). Of course they say I should only be consuming 1200, but I am burning between 600 and 700 calories each day at Orange Theory. I wonder if I am not eating enough? I really need to do the damn BodPod. It comes around every two weeks or so, I just need to jump on that list early. I don't want to drive 20 minutes back there at 5pm to do it.

Sounds like you have a pretty good meal plan and I would say you are eating good fats and carbs. The water part is an important piece and the more you drink the better you will be. You should be looking to get close to a gallon in a day. Saw a trainer talking about how consuming that much will help with fat loss and not to worry about consuming too much because the body will react and know what to do.

i use my fitness pal and love it. You can add a recipe and tell it how many servings it is and then when you eat it you can select the serving size you are having. The scan tool is great as well.

Sounds like you have a pretty good meal plan and I would say you are eating good fats and carbs. The water part is an important piece and the more you drink the better you will be. You should be looking to get close to a gallon in a day. Saw a trainer talking about how consuming that much will help with fat loss and not to worry about consuming too much because the body will react and know what to do.

i use my fitness pal and love it. You can add a recipe and tell it how many servings it is and then when you eat it you can select the serving size you are having. The scan tool is great as well.

My favorite feature of MFP is the ability to enter a URL for a recipe, it saves so much time.

Keep in mind that while the "good carbs" are beneficial for things like blood sugar and cholesterol and triglycerides, they are still carbs. Your body will process any carbs you eat before it uses stored fat. The more carbs you take in the less fat you will lose, and the only way that exercise changes that truth is that you burn those excess carbs a bit faster.

My situation has turned nearly 180° in the last 2 months. My triglycerides were over 600 (and at one time a few years ago they were over 800), high enough that they couldn't even measure the LDL cholesterol. This week they were down to 270; blood sugar was 92, down from just over 100 (although it has never been dangerously high); HDL was 140 (still high but not off the charts like it was); LDL was still not where the doctor wants it, but it's now measurable and moving in the right direction. BP was 129/82. Weight this morning was 287.4, down about 2 pounds this week.

Along with the low carb diet, I take 4 red yeast rice capsules per day, 2 turmeric curcumin (for joints), and 1 krill oil.

My only exercise is walking, mostly when I take the dog to my wife's family farm (about 2 miles away) to let him run, I wander along with him - and I play golf when I can.

Whatever I'm doing seems to be working - slowly to be sure, but I see some progress most days.

Keep in mind that while the "good carbs" are beneficial for things like blood sugar and cholesterol and triglycerides, they are still carbs. Your body will process any carbs you eat before it uses stored fat. The more carbs you take in the less fat you will lose, and the only way that exercise changes that truth is that you burn those excess carbs a bit faster.

My situation has turned nearly 180° in the last 2 months. My triglycerides were over 600 (and at one time a few years ago they wee over 800), high enough that they couldn't even measure the LDL cholesterol. This week they were down to 270, blood sugar was 92 (although it has never been dangerously high), HDL was 140 (still high but not off the charts like it was) LDL was still not where the doctor wants it, but it's now measurable and moving in the right direction. BP was 129/82. Weight this morning was 287.4, down about 2 pounds this week.

Along with the low carb diet, I take 4 red yeast rice capsules per day, 2 turmeric curcumin (for joints), and 1 krill oil.

My only exercise is walking, mostly when I take the dog to my wife's family farm (about 2 miles away) to let him run, I wander along with him - and I play golf when I can.

Whatever I'm doing seems to be working - slowly to be sure, but I see some progress most days.

1 sweet potato with dinner, or a 1/4 cup of quinoa is not going to have any negative effect. Carbs aren't the devil, and I will not cut them out of my diet completely, it's a recipe for disaster.

1 sweet potato with dinner, or a 1/4 cup of quinoa is not going to have any negative effect. Carbs aren't the devil, and I will not cut them out of my diet completely, it's a recipe for disaster.

You absolutely shouldn't. Keep staying the course Morgan! I have lost over 75 pounds and never once thought about eliminating carbs.

Stop getting discouraged. You look fantastic and every week its noticeable.

You absolutely shouldn't. Keep staying the course Morgan! I have lost over 75 pounds and never once thought about eliminating carbs.

Thanks! I wasn't planning on it. I have never met a nutritionist who would ever tell someone to cut out complex carbs, and I don't plan on doing that either.

You have to say that, you're my husband, but thank you!

Thanks! I wasn't planning on it. I have never met a nutritionist who would ever tell someone to cut out complex carbs, and I don't plan on doing that either.

You have to say that, you're my husband, but thank you!

im sure that has part to do with it but others notice change a we don't see. I had some golf buddies comment on how I have leaned out even though the scale didn't change, but when I look at myself I don't see. I went back to some of the pics over the last 9 weeks and then I can see the change.

Stick with It GG, you are making the right changes and you will see the improvement.

I never said that you should - in fact, it's nearly impossible without analyzing everything that goes on your plate. When you said you eat "a lot" of sweet potatoes, I didn't know what "a lot" meant. I eat a couple of sweet potatoes each week too.

Almost every label I look at seems to include some carbohydrates, so by cutting out most foods that are primarily carbs, I convince my body that it needs to convert more of my stored fat to live on. My diet is more or less based on my doctor's suggestions. I have bloodwork done every other month to gauge progress and make sure that I'm not creating any health issues. Since she was quite enthusiastic with my progress, I must be doing something right.

Good morning folks just stopping in to tell everyone to keep up the good work my Saturday morning weigh in has me down another 2 lbs and I am halfway to my goal of 35 lbs.

Back