Playing with injuries

stevececil

Sweating it out in AZ!
Reaction score
Handicap
How many of you are out there playing with injuries? I'm not talking about the normal soreness after working out or a pulled muscle here and there. More along the lines of something that affects the way you play the game and how have you overcome it.

I am 46 and I have had 26 broken bones including 6 vertebrae, ACL/MCL in both knees (non-surgical), a little finger on my dominant hand that is lock at a 90 degree angle and most recently a ruptured tricepts tendon where it connects at the elbow. I have played golf since I was 8 and I've basically had to relearn how to play the game in the last few years.

I have had knee surgery, and left and right hip replacements. Left hip reaplacement last year. I have had to cut down my turn back but have increased my follow through. I also flair both my feet outward to increase flexibility. More on my front foot.

I don't walk the course anymore because my doctor doesn't recommend it. I do walk some from shot to shot but not all the time.

It has taken me a long time to get my game back on track but it is getting there.

At least I get to play so that keeps me going!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

My wrist's are beyond ******!!! I should really go to the dr, but I'm not that keen on them. Also tennis elbow, and my left shoulder is now playing up LOL. One of the reasons I recently switched to graphite. The wrist issues are probably costing me 10 yards. It sucks, but I guess I'm getting old LOL.

I am 46 and I have had 26 broken bones including 6 vertebrae, ACL/MCL in both knees (non-surgical), a little finger on my dominant hand that is lock at a 90 degree angle and most recently a ruptured tricepts tendon where it connects at the elbow. I have played golf since I was 8 and I've basically had to relearn how to play the game in the last few years.

Did/do you play extreme sports or something? 26 broken bones is crazy

Did/do you play extreme sports or something? 26 broken bones is crazy

I was a catcher for a dozen years. Too many games and too many plays at the plate.

I was a catcher for a dozen years. Too many games and too many plays at the plate.

I was a catcher for 30 years. Played Little League, High School Baseball, and Upper Division Fast Pitch Softball. I never broke a bone catching but had plenty of collisions at the plate. I guess my hips paid the price. Lol

I am fairly beat up..
bad car accident at age 25.. thru windshield.. broken back.. disc issues etc
i have habitual golfers elbow.. switched to Matrix Program graphite iron shafts and wear a brace on my elbow
also.. acl is starting to weaken. I have to be careful but I play and thats all that matters

At 63 and playing sports most of my life I'm beat up pretty good. I think 40+ years of handball did me in. The only thing that has kept me from playing golf in the last 20 years was a small tear in my rotator. This somehow led to tendonitis in the elbow. The combination forced me to take about 6 months off while I was getting physical therapy.

Does arthritis and an a herniated disc count? Everyone has issues! And if you don't I hate you!

I've raced bicycles, played baseball/softball all my life, and have been playing golf since I was 13. In 1989 I shredded my right rotator cuff, couldn't throw anything for over a year, and I couldn't swing a golf club above my shoulder line for a year and a half. Not playing ball again didn't scare me, but the thought of never being able to fully swing a golf club scared the beegeebees out of me! In 2002 I finally had my shoulder surgically repaired, after recovery my shoulder felt like it was 25 years old again. I returned to racing bikes, playing softball and golf. Then in 2004 I had work done on my left shoulder as well.

For many years I couldn't play golf without a sufficient amount of Motrin in me, I'm over that now. However, I'll never be the golfer I use to be but I've also become a big believer in modern medicine! I can swing, I probably won't ever shoot par again, but I play and love the game more than ever.

Once I turned 35 it went downhill. 20+ years of tennis and skateboarding finally took their toll. Torn Meniscus in the right knee, partially torn Achilles, Arthritis in my right foot and tendinitis in my right wrist. I'm a firm believer in low impact exercising (elliptical) and stretching. I have a friend who had both hips replaced at 35 and she's in her forties and she will outlast most people on the tennis courts. She told me taking the rehab seriously was the key. She did her stretches and exercises daily, hit the hot tub when she was sore and she's still a marvel to watch on the courts. Her mobility isn't limited and she's tireless.

I know I'll never be the physical specimen I used to be in my twenties and early thirties but as I'm about to turn forty I'm still fighting the good fight and I plan on doing so till I snuff it.

Motivational speeches aside I also find rum and Diet Coke works well to treat those minor aches and pain.

I've had, and continued playing, while I had an arm sprain, a torn calf muscle, grade 2, and some minor finger sprains. Thankfully my last injury was 2 years ago and with my new swing I've been injury-free ever since. I'm turning 54 this year.

I stepped in a hole playing wednesday on the 5th hole. I could barely walk but finished out the nine.. When I got home my ankle was swollen and I iced it though the night. It is still sore but was able to play the next day. I felt guilty quitting at 9.

Just a torn labrum at this point. Definitely altered my game...can't wait for more old injuries to creep up

My wife cringes in the morning when I get up and attempt to get various parts back where they belong so I'm not moving like a caveman. But typically, after a half hour of stretching and few ibuprofen, I'm good to go.

I will say, I walked nine holes and carried my bag last weekend. I'm hoping to work my way up to walking/carrying 18 again, but my lower back and right hip were screaming at me after nine...lol

53 yo
L5-S1 injections, C2 issues, left rotator doesn't work, right clavicle resection, fingers both hands arthritic, right arm tendinitis, hamstrings like piano strings! Guess all this comes from 30+ years of ice hockey-goalie and Center. That's what sticks to the back and neck do to you.

Back