Are You Better Than 1 Year Ago?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
1 year ago today where was your handicap? Are you better? Worse? Why?

Not better. Not worse. 'Cap hovers around the same mark all year. I don't know why, other than I don't really practice, and that's going to change since I just got the OK for a cage in my back yard. Range time before a round is really just warming up. I might work on a shot or two that I might need (under-tree punches, stingers, etc) but nothing like repetitive swings, hittng targets with 20 balls in a row, alignment sticks. And while I think I'm a better than average putter, I've been leaving a lot dead on line but short lately. Need to work on hitting the back of the cup and not 'die-ing' it into the hole. I think I'll have more time to work on some thing this summer (outside of all the travel, I get every other friday off, then travel comp time). We'll see.

I learn something every time I go play still. I would say all aspects of my game have improved. For me its about putting it all together consistently hole after hole but Saturday's back 9 was the closest I have come to doing that yet.

I would say yes.. a bit more consistent, a smidge better in GIR and FWs, and a few strokes off usual score .. definitely still room for lots of improvement though #neversatisfied

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I do not keep a handicap but I score about the same as last year. My good shots are getting better and my bad shots are less frequent but my score is not noticeably better.

My handicap was 24.5 last year at this time. It is now 22.1, but got as low as 21.7 at the end of the year. I am undeniably getting better. My short game has improved dramatically and has gone from a liability to where I feel confident getting on the green from most chips or pitches. Over the last year I have also recognized that I have really screwed my swing up trying to chase distance gains because I just don't hit it very far (90-95 mph swing speed). That caused a lot of inconsistency in my game. I think that is a curse of knowing how far I hit it with modern measuring devices. I want the info, but I don't like what it tells me and I screw up my game chasing something stupid like distance over accuracy. Vanity!! When I slow down, shorten my backswing, and stick to the fundamentals I built my game on I can hit drives in the fairway all day long. They may only be 200-220 yards long, but they are in the short stuff and I have a clean look at the green. I can hit fairway woods and long irons fine so I'm really not sure why I thought I needed to get up to 250 to succeed. Hope to get to sub 20 handicap by the end of the summer and average having more pars or lower per round than double bogeys or higher.

Sadly currently no. I am much much worse

I think I’m about the same? Maybe I’m slightly better hdcp wise but at this point in the Ohio golf season that only matters so much. I played a lot last year but didn’t practice a ton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My handicap a year ago was a 24 and from working with a coach my scores have slowly come down and I'm currently a 20.1. Some rounds it's more obvious than others.. Lol

My index is 0.1 better - so YES!

Short game and off the tee improved over the year, but iron game was disappointing. I need more range time, just not sure if the schedule will allow. I enjoy the short game area much more than banging balls on the range.

I think I’m about the same? Maybe I’m slightly better hdcp wise but at this point in the Ohio golf season that only matters so much. I played a lot last year but didn’t practice a ton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1
BB.jpg

If my one round this year is an indicator, no. If my two range sessions are, then slightly yes. I'm definitely a year older.

A little bit!! The year has really yet to start but my fitness level is much improved this year!!

Based on handicap I am the same. Out on the course I feel like I am a little worse because I haven't had the time to practice or play as much as I would like.

My handicap is right around where it was this time last year. I'm at 5.9 right now and my career low is 3.9. I am hopping to get it back under 5.0 this season and keep it there.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

My handicap has deteriorated due to lack of play but actually I feel I am playing better. I hope come next season I will have seen a big improvement.

Worse, lost my swing for about 2-3 months just off the map bad... Shooting in the 90's which is not the norm but I'm having fun. But good news is swing coming around right in time for my wife to have a baby in May.... I enjoyed golf it was fun.

Last year at this time I didn't have an official handicap, and was relying on the ones I got during league play or Game Golf / The Grint. Based on those I was somewhere around a 6.

Now I have an official WSGA handicap, and after starting the season as a 8.9 in May, I'm currently a 4.3.

So I'd say Yes, I'm better. And after the work I've been putting in inside this winter, I'm hoping I can push it even lower this year.

I think I'm better right now than I was 1 year ago today.

Last year at this time I was winding down the amount I was playing due to new job and wife being almost due. If it was 18 months ago or 6 months ago I would say I'm about the same.

One of my goals this year is to use arccos to track all my rounds. Only way to see if I'm actually improving.

Gained 3 points last year by committing to thinking my way around the course more, laying up to good yardages, good misses etc. This year going to really focus on 100 and in as well as putting.

I wasn't back playing yet this time last year, but yes. Keep in mind I'm starting from the bottom. According to the Grint my handicap has dropped from 34ish to 26.6.

I'm getting better because 1) I couldn't get any worse; 2) playing more 3) practicing more. Lately my putting has gotten worse (1.7 ppr to 2.4). I don't know if that has been winter greens condition or my stroke. Probably both.

My next step is to pick a golf swing. I'm a tinkerer and it has destroyed my swing. I need to pick a swing and go with it. I'm contemplating getting lessons once my financial situation improves.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

About 6 shots worse per round this year to last. I'm now hovering at about a 15 cap, but I can now say it's a legit cap, which I did not have last year. I decided to cut the crap and play out every hole without mullies or made up penalty rules. Its forced me to think twice about taking chances and I feel like I'm a better overall golfer because of it.

Right around the same I believe. I wasn’t able to get out that much last year, and I think it was the first year in a while I didn’t really improve my HC.

I don't have a handicap, but I can see a steady improvement over last year. Drives are longer and straighter (thanks Epic Flash), hopefully I'm seeing some improvement on fairway shots. Pitching was always my strong suit but my accuracy is improving here too. Putting is still an issue, I really need to work on that.

Back