Are You a Mudder?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
His father was a mudder...whoops, wrong type of thread (Seinfeld fans will get that reference).

Talking to a friend of mine yesterday we were talking about a course here that is always wet. If it rains hard, it stays wet for days. That turned the conversation into playing in the slop, or better yet, playing when the grass is soaked and soft. Are you a mudder?

I used to hate it, but I moved onto a course last October. Obviously it's wet during the winter and it was setting in my backyard tempting me to go out anyway so I have learned to play in it. The most important thing I have learned is really focus on smashing into the back of the ball. If you don't it's going to be thin or fat all day.

Yep, played Sunday in some nasty conditions. Hole 2 basically had a river running through the fairway. I’m a digger so it can make for a long day. I don’t know why I do it to myself.

If I want to get out and play at my home course then I have no choice. Drainage is not the best in the world and about a 1/3 of the course so it can stay wet for quite some time. There are a couple holes the ball can plug a foot deep in the middle of the fairway when its wet. Coming home with wet feet and covered in mud is not my favorite thing in the world, especially during the cooler months but I am willing to put up with it because I love the game.

I try to avoid a wet course but if I have not played in a while I will go mudding. Here's mud in your eye LOL.

Has never bothered me, short of being so soft a ball can disappear into the Earth when it lands in the fairway. But I don't mind muddy courses. Lift clean and cheat exists for a reason.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’ve been known to play decently on a wet course. See Morgan Cup singles 2018 haha

Oh yeah. Especially after this winter. Through the green relief/lift clean and replace was often played.

As much as I have played in it over the past 3 months you would think I love it. But no, not a mudder.

I have played more wet courses in the last 2 months because of crazy rain/snow and my need to get into mid season form before the event this weekend. The thought actually crossed my mind about would I rather play a very difficult, wet course or an easier fast and dry course. I have to say the dry one. Wet courses play so long that it can become a little demoralizing and a slog, but you almost never lose a ball (unless it is plugged on the fairway somewhere).

I need the extra roll of a dry course too.

Yep. I feel like I focus more when playing in some elements. Cold, rain, wet, some wind....I think in general I’d call myself a mudder. That being said there is a limit to how much a course can take before it becomes unplayable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will play in wet conditions to a point. Soft turf and some occasional standing water aren’t bothersome. When hitting a shot has mud and water splashing waist high is when I’ll go back and ask for a rain check.

I was a mudder early this year in my attempt to prepare for the Morgan Cup as the conditions were always cold and wet. It isn't my preference but I did enjoy the practice!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

No, I need some roll out as I am not very long compared to the courses I play.

I’ll play when the course is a little wet. Muddy? If it can be avoided, no.

Living in the PNW you have to be OK with playing a wet course especially in the winter. I have my limits though so I am not a mudder. I have 2 courses that I will play in the winter up here, my club and one other muni, both have excellent drainage.

Absolutely not. I seem to chunk 8 times as many shots when it's really soft.

Do i golf when it's muddy - Yes

Do I enjoy it - No

I don’t mind it. I know my carry distances and the wet or sloppy conditions don’t bug me.

Sometimes if you want to play you just have to play in the mud. I prefer not to, but there are days when I just need to get out there and play.

Can't stand it. My biggest miss is hitting the ball fat, so really soft soggy courses and me don't really mix well.

Can't stand it. My biggest miss is hitting the ball fat, so really soft soggy courses and me don't really mix well.

Yep! Mud in your eye is not fun.

I play 95% of my rounds as first off in the morning which generally means some amount of wet no matter what. That kind of wet I don't mind so much.

But fairway-is-mud kind of wet is no fun at all and I will try to avoid unless I'm really jonesing for a round of golf. In the northeast when a January day rolls around that is 47 degrees and wet you take it and fist pump while doing so. Not so much in July.

And if it is "gotta-hold-an-umbrella-to-keep-grips-dry" raining, I'm pretty much not playing.

Heck yeah I'm a mudder. The rain doesn't bother me and I find golf to be WAY easier when the course is wet and soft.

Back