Fowler vs GMac: Compare and Contrast

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Looking at these two players and their PGA Tour stats is rather interesting. They have played similar amount of PGA Tour Events with Fowler slightly edging the count there, and doubling the count in top 10s and far more top 5s too. Yet GMac has the major under his belt. Both were/are incredibly popular with the fans (lesser for McDowell at least now, obviously). You won't find two more genuine guys out there that spend time with the kids, fans and sponsors. For years now we have talked about Fowler being destined for greatness, but maybe the path is closer to GMac...or maybe he hits his groove and wins in bunches coming up.

Curious on the thoughts of THPers.

Rickie Fowler
5 wins (3 Internationally)
67 top 10s
224 events played

Graeme McDowell
4 wins (8 Internationally)
34 top 10 finishes
215 events played
1 of his 4 wins was a major

Top 10 over 25% of the time for Fowler is impressive

GMac seemed to hit a great little river of form and has since not really been all that relevant. Granted he is still top class but just not as high as he used to be. Rickie on the other hand seems to be constantly on the cusp of juuuuuust short, whilst getting over the line every now and then.

Fowler vs GMac: Compare and Contrast

That’s an interesting comparison. For some reason I thought McDowell had more wins as it seems he’s been in Tour a lot longer than Rickie.

Last edited:
  • Admin
That’s an interesting comparison. For done reason I thought McDowell had more wins as it seems he’s been in Tour a lot longer than Rickie.

He has been playing a lot longer for sure. Although two tours more than 1 and he is older. It was an interesting contrast in players that are both so well liked and for good reason. GMac winning this past week really sparked it more for obvious reasons.

Both are enigmas to me, loads of talent, genuine guys and well grounded. Ball striking is solid and both can putt. I know Gmac started the family a few years back and settled in. Rickie is headed that way as well. I’d like to see a surge from both of them.

This comparison has me thinking a lot more than I thought it would when I first read the title. Obvious Gmac having that major makes it closer more interesting than just the wins and top 10 totals.

• Admin
Both are enigmas to me, loads of talent, genuine guys and well grounded. Ball striking is solid and both can putt. I know Gmac started the family a few years back and settled in. Rickie is headed that way as well. I’d like to see a surge from both of them.

I think that is where I am coming from because both are. Outside of his major year, I don't think GMac has ever been as highly thought of as Fowler with predictions, at least not on this side of the pond, but the win totals are similar, with one having a major and both are really enigmas in that most believe they should have more wins.

He has been playing a lot longer for sure. Although two tours more than 1 and he is older. It was an interesting contrast in players that are both so well liked and for good reason. GMac winning this past week really sparked it more for obvious reasons.

Didn’t GMac take time off for injury, or was it his family/ off course responsibilities that seemed to take him away from golf.

I think that is where I am coming from because both are. Outside of his major year, I don't think GMac has ever been as highly thought of as Fowler with predictions, at least not on this side of the pond, but the win totals are similar, with one having a major and both are really enigmas in that most believe they should have more wins.

If Gmac truly is in form, he should play well through the summer. His putter is the difference maker. Same with Rickie, he outta lights out. They just need to put it all together. If only their talent matched their personality in terms of longevity.

Didn’t GMac take time off for injury, or was it his family/ off course responsibilities that seemed to take him away from golf.

Yes, he has had a few, but the nagging wrist injury was one of them.

I feel both are destined to be good professional golfers. Not being more than that is just fine. I will admit, I was amazed to see Graeme in the non-WGC event. I just always assumed he was a top 64 golfer in the world.

Very interesting comparison. I didn't think their stats would were so similar. I'm a big fan of both guys and would love to see GMac contending in majors and playing in more Ryder cups.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

I've felt that, at least before, GMac had a little bit of a bulldog mentality. It helped him in tougher, US Open type environments. I've thought of Rickie being more talented, but perhaps a different mental makeup if that makes sense.

GMac has had five tough years , with little going for his golf. He seems to be past it with little left to offer. Fowler keeps promising to break through and win Majors.

I doubt GMac will do a lot more, but I still think Fowler has at least one Major in him.

Really enjoy both of these golfers and never really thought about comparing them because I just think of Rickie as being in that top tier of golfers (even if the stats don't say that). It is a fair comparison though, but I think WHEN Rickie gets his major this year it will push him over the top.

Interesting to see this comparison. I was bummed to see GMac slump the way he did the last few years as he was always one of my faves but I think it’s great he is back in the winners circle. The comparison to Rickie is an interesting one. I think Rickie’s ceiling is higher at the same point in their careers but it’s hard to quantify with GMac having one a major. In fact it’s even hard to say honestly. GMac with his experience in texture could be propelled to make some huge leaps and bounds in the coming years if he continues to come back the way he has. Rickie.....for as much as I love him has a hell of a lot of life to go through still. (Marriage, kids, etc) should be interesting to watch and a great subject to revisit in 5-6 years

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Graeme is one of my favorites, however by the time Rickie is his current age, I see his win count being 2 to 3 times that of GMac, along with a major or two. Rickie seems to just be hitting his stride now, and early/mid 30's is a prime time in golf. I think we see a lot more from Rickie in the next 5 years.

Graeme is one of my favorites, however by the time Rickie is his current age, I see his win count being 2 to 3 times that of GMac, along with a major or two. Rickie seems to just be hitting his stride now, and early/mid 30's is a prime time in golf. I think we see a lot more from Rickie in the next 5 years.

Including the Euro Tour wins?

Including the Euro Tour wins?

For his entire career I think it's definitely possible. Rickie has it in him, but I was saying that more domestically in this case. He would have to go on almost a tiger type run to double or triple his total win count anytime soon.

Really interesting stats to me, always like GMAC for some reason. Would love to see Rickie take a turn and win that major everyone thinks is coming.

Rickie has had so many Sunday collapses, he should really have maybe 15 wins.

Comparing their careers through age 30, I think Fowler has been much better than G Mac. Fowler's 5 wins have been against some of the best fields on tour - Wells Fargo, Players, FedEx playoffs, Honda... G Mac had one PGA win at 30 (US Open), and a handful of Euro Tour wins. Even G Mac's later PGA wins were weaker fields (Mayakoba/ RBC) or opposite field.

Fowler has also been much more consistent, evidenced by the # of top 5's/ top 10's - he seems to always be in the mix.

I like GMac, but I think Fowler's wins are more impressive. Yes I know Gmac has a US Open(that was practically given to him).

IF we look at their two biggest wins, Gmac shot 4 over in the final round while DJ went brain dead. Fowler went out and played the back 9 like his hair was on fire, and won in a playoff for his Players victory.

As a whole here are Fowler's wins....Wells Fargo(playoff over Rory and DA Points), Players Championship(playoff Sergio and Kisner), Deutche Bank(FedEx playoff event), Honda Classic, Waste Management.

Now GMac's wins...US Open, RBC Heritage, OHL Classic at Mayakoba(when it was the silly season), Corales Puntacana(alternate event).

I've never thought that Fowler was destined for greatness. I thought he'd be a guy who would get 10ish wins and maybe a major. Which isn't a bad career.

I like GMac, but I think Fowler's wins are more impressive. Yes I know Gmac has a US Open(that was practically given to him).
What was DJ's lead heading into that final round? Brutal.

Back