Hole In One or Not?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
This picture has been quite a debate on social media the last week or so.

This happens to you, are you calling it an Ace?

D2d7cG_UwAIKdBc.jpg

Golf.com did some investigating and came up with these answers, what are your thoughts?

1. Embedded, not leaning against the flagstick, not fully submerged: NO ACE

2. Embedded, leaning against the flagstick, not fully submerged: NO ACE

3. Embedded, not leaning against the flagstick, fully submerged: YES ACE

4. Not embedded, leaning against the flagstick, fully or partially submerged: YES ACE

100% calling that an ace.

IMO it is an Ace. over 3/4 of the ball is inside the diameter of the cup and appears the only thing that kept it from going fully in it the ground.

Is the ball inside the cup liner, or sitting on top of it?

lolol.....if i cant mark it with a coin and replace it without falling in the hole.....its an ace. It isnt my fault the course conditions are what they are.

Looks like Option #4 to me. ACE baby!

No. The entire ball is not in the hole.

That’s a 1 on my card or anyone I’m playing with.

I'm calling that an ace. Seems to be in the hole, and from the angle I'm going to say it's below the surface.

As long as the entirety of the ball is below the ground then its an ace. I'd get on the floor and check if anything is peeking over the surface

Option 4

100% Ace IMO!!! If you jiggle the stick, it's falling to the bottom looks like to me.

I seen putts hit with the stick in now where the entire ball is not below the surface, is that why Tour players move the stick to make them fall in?

Last edited:
I would call that an Ace under option 3.

If it was my shot, it’s an Ace and getting framed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darn right I'm calling that an ace!

Well assuming this is the results of the tee shot (lol) then the good news is this appears to be 100% below the surface and would therefore be considered to be holed. However, if any part of the ball is above the surface and the ball is embedded then it is not considered holed. The key is if it is embedded.

Definition of Holed:
Holed/1 – All of the Ball Must Be Below the Surface to Be Holed When Embedded in Side of Hole

When a ball is embedded in the side of the hole, and all of the ball is not below the surface of the putting green, the ball is not holed. This is the case even if the ball touches the flagstick.

Holed/2 – Ball Is Considered Holed Even Though It Is Not “At Rest”

The words “at rest” in the definition of holed are used to make it clear that if a ball falls into the hole and bounces out, it is not holed.

However, if a player removes a ball from the hole that is still moving (such as circling or bouncing in the bottom of the hole), it is considered holed despite the ball not having come to rest in the hole.

it's really interesting talking about the ball being completely submerged, as they opened the door for some variance with 13.2c talking about a ball that is resting against the flagstick:

"If any part of the ball is in the hole below the surface of the putting green, the ball is treated as holed even if the entire ball is not below the surface."

I'm not treating this any differently. I'm calling that an ace every day of the week.

I know I'd 100% call it an ace for me or anyone I'm playing with but I'm unsure from the pic if it is or not, per the rules? I can't tell if it is touching the flagstick and also if the whole ball below the surface?

I would call that an ace.

Looks like it falls under option 2 to me. No ace.

From that angle to me it looks like a few dimples are above the putting surface. Hate to say it but no HIO in my opinion, but what a story to tell!!

...from the angle I'm going to say it's below the surface.

I agree; there does not appear to be a shadow on the green from the ball.

I'm calling that an ace. Seems to be in the hole, and from the angle I'm going to say it's below the surface.

no surprise here, i agree with the venerable ddec. the ball is below the surface. it is in the hole. it's an ace. not even sure what the argument against it being an ace could possibly be.

If it's touching the flagstick, but not in the bottom of the cup, I think you must remove the flagstick before a determination can be made. At the same time, I would think it would be reasonable to remove the flagstick in such a way that it causes the ball to fall to the bottom of the cup. Tough one...

ACE! the only thing holding that thing up is the actual cup.

Back