Will Anthony Kim Play on the PGA Tour Again

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I was going through some old photos we took and came across one from Doral about 9 years ago or so and we were with Anthony Kim. He was young, fantastic and seemed like he was well on his way to winning in bunches. Injury and time have all come and gone, but the question comes up each year around this time.

What are your thoughts and why?

No. Didn’t he get a pretty large insurance settlement for not playing again? Or is that a myth? I thought if he played again he owed it all back.

I would love nothing more to see Anthony back out there but I don’t think it’s happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. Didn’t he get a pretty large insurance settlement for not playing again? Or is that a myth? I thought if he played again he owed it all back.

That's my understanding as well. Don't think we see him playing again.

• Admin

According to Kim, its not quite true. That is all anybody really knows however.
I believe it was in 2015 or 16 he said so in an interview.

i can't imagine it's good for his remaining lifespan, though. maybe he makes a push to get back at it when the policy expires.

my thought is no way. too much time has passed, and the game is much different now than it was when he was playing.

Will Anthony Kim Play on the PGA Tour Again

According to Kim, its not quite true. That is all anybody really knows however.
I believe it was in 2015 or 16 he said so in an interview.

If it’s not true, I’m not sure it ultimately changes my answer, but I would love to see him make a comeback. But if true, then he definitely won’t. Unless he is really confident he can win quick.

I don’t think we see him back. He has cult like status and it’s like spotting Bigfoot if you do see him.

Not sure on the insurance payout, but my theory is he’s serving a “ban” for something and part of the deal to not reveal what he’s banned for is never play a professional round of golf again.

This one. He had insured his ability to play golf competitively. He will not come back because he would owe a lot of money.

Even if it isn't entirely true, he has said his injuries prevent him from playing the tour grind.

I don’t think we see him back. He has cult like status and it’s like spotting Bigfoot if you do see him.

Not sure on the insurance payout, but my theory is he’s serving a “ban” for something and part of the deal to not reveal what he’s banned for is never play a professional round of golf again.

Now that would be interesting. Considering what some others have done though, what would he have done to get banned like that? Kill a guy?

Based on a recent interview, I’d say about 1 year ago, he flat out said that he was happy were he was in life. I think the pressure of being on the tour was getting to him. He basically said he wasn’t happy playing golf anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This one. He had insured his ability to play golf competitively. He will not come back because he would owe a lot of money.

He denies the insurance claim situation outside of typical monthly payments for injuries that one pays into.

He denied this in the same interview he denied the insurance. Well he denied that he ever tested positive for anything at all.

Now that would be interesting. Considering what some others have done though, what would he have done to get banned like that? Kill a guy?

Dude was known to party pretty hard. I'm guessing drugs, but its pure speculation. IMO if it was the insurance thing, he could have made a hell of a lot more playing golf and endorsements.

Dude was known to party pretty hard. I'm guessing drugs, but its pure speculation. IMO if it was the insurance thing, he could have made a hell of a lot more playing golf and endorsements.

Yea true. It’s one of the great mysteries of golf haha

I think he will end up with the David Ruffin epitaph.

Even if the insurance story and the ban theory are totally false, I don't think there's any way we see him again. He's been out of competitive golf for a long time now. As a fan, it's a bummer because he was a rising star who looked like he was going to be phenomenal in the Ryder Cup for a long time. But it sounds like maybe it was the right call for him.

The list of injuries; achilles, rotator cuff, labrum, spinal fusion, hand, I don't think Anthony will return to competition. The desire, drive and commitment to return to the pro tour isn't what he talks about when someone tracks him down for a couple of sound bites. Unfortunately, he'll be a woulda coulda shoulda that had a short but hot run on tour.

Would like to see him again, but either way, he's a living Legend, no matter how obscure or out of the picture he is.

Avid Golfer is a Dallas Fort Worth golf publication and they did a story on him I think 2 months ago. Essentially it said there is nothing new to report. He occasionally pops up here and there around Dallas. I know at one point he had really long hair and it was pretty well known he was a huge stoner, but last year I read an interview with one of his close friends who said he plays some here and there and still has game. I doubt he makes it back on the PGA Tour. I personally believe all the insurance rumors and if that is true it wouldn't shock me if he makes a run after the policy terminates.

I don't think he plays again.

he's done.

There's always the Champions Tour...

Legends never die

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Would love to see him play again, but doubt it will ever happen.

Back