Going to the Masters

esg777

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I am going to the Tuesday practice round. I am beyond excited. Any advice for a first time Masters attendee is wanted and appreciated.

I am going to the Tuesday practice round. I am beyond excited. Any advice for a first time Masters attendee is wanted and appreciated.

First of all, congrats. It's a special place.

Hit the merchandise shop first. It will seem like a madhouse, but it's a well-oiled machine. Once you get your souvenirs, the merchandise shop can hold onto your gear for the day and you can pick it up when you are leaving, or they can arrange to have it all shipped back to your home. Don't worry about carrying around all that stuff for the entire day.

I always tell first-timers to walk the entire course, but walk it backwards. You won't be like the majority of the people there that start on 1 and just go from there. Plus if you start walking the course early in the day, there won't be much of a crowd on the back nine anyways.

Make sure you watch some of the players skip balls across the lake on 16 as well.

Keep the drink cups.

Make sure you walk to all of the holes. (Backwards is preferable) and gives better context for shots.

See above for souvenir shop.

Enjoy the experience.

walk the entire course. i did it starting at 1 and didn't feel like like i missed anything.

stand behind as many tee boxes as you can, to get an idea of what a golfer sees at the start of each hole.

take some time to just chill. that place is enchanted. one of my favorite memories is getting a pimento cheese sandwich, some chips and a coke, and just sitting under the pines.

enjoy! it is so incredible.

Congrats on the tickets, have fun!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

We have always gone in the entrance at the South Gate. It’s just north of Ingleside on Berckmans Road. We’ve neve4 had a traffic backup going in that way.

Check the board outside the merchandise shop and you’ll see who is on the course.

We always do our shopping then drop our chairs at 16 near where Tiger hit his in your life chip shot. We then walk the course backwards. Wear comfortable shoes.

The course is a lot to take in but it is amazing to see. You’ll see spots on this hole or that one and that will trigger memories of so many players and shots you’ve seen on TV. The elevation changes are no joke.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Sounds like based on the food article on Golf.com you should get a chicken biscuit before 10am and the grab a pimento cheese or egg salad sandwich with chips for lunch. Otherwise have fun!!! I have never been and can't wait till I finally hit the ticket lottery jackpot.

Sounds like based on the food article on Golf.com you should get a chicken biscuit before 10am and the grab a pimento cheese or egg salad sandwich with chips for lunch. Otherwise have fun!!! I have never been and can't wait till I finally hit the ticket lottery jackpot.
Chicken biscuit for breakfast.

Big stomach during lunch: pimento cheese, egg salad, pulled pork. I think that will run you $10-$12 with a soft drink.

You need to have at least 1 pimento cheese while you are there.

I’ll be there for Monday’s practice round, but it has totally not sunk in yet at all.

Have fun!!! I've never been so no help from me.

Get a folding lawn chair in the pro shop, then find a spot to put it before you start your adventure around the course. You’ll always be able to come back to your chair and rest up and catch some action from there. No need to worry about anyone taking your spot.

What everybody else said plus:

Make sure that your batteries in your camera are fresh/charged.
See if there's anybody famous under the oak tree.
Watch some practice time at the range.

Have fun! I always enjoy seeing courses on TV that I've played (or been on, in this case), but being at Augusta bumped that up to another level.

I have had the pleasure of attending the tournament four separate times and stayed all four days each time. I also got to play the course in 2013. Here are my tips:

1. Store your merchandise in the lockers and/or have them ship the items home. These services ARE NOT in the merchandise building......but the next building over.
2. Take the time to walk around to the front of the clubhouse, and get your picture taken in front of the iconic Augusta National Founder's Circle Garden that is shaped like their logo. There is photographer there to capture the moment. You also will be able to look down Magnolia Lane.
3. Near 16 and 17 holes are the Nicklaus Plaque, Palmer Plaque and Record Fountain Plaque commemorating various tournament achievements.
4. Go see the Live Oak tree near the 18th green next to the clubhouse patio. It is massive.....nearly 6ft thick at the trunk, 60 ft tall and branches that span 100ft. Players and members will have lunch and take meetings standing underneath that tree. Arnold Palmer would sit under it for hours at end and visit with friends.
5. Look for the Butler and Eisenhower cabins just off the 10th fairway.
6. Look across the 10th fairway to the spot Bubba hit his sudden death playoff shot.
7. Eat a Pimento Cheese sandwich....or two.
8. Have fun.

No advice just a slightly jealous Congrats!

Next year will be the year that my name gets drawn though! Or dads name, either way I’ll be Augusta bound!

I have had the pleasure of attending the tournament four separate times and stayed all four days each time. I also got to play the course in 2013. Here are my tips:

1. Store your merchandise in the lockers and/or have them ship the items home. These services ARE NOT in the merchandise building......but the next building over.
2. Take the time to walk around to the front of the clubhouse, and get your picture taken in front of the iconic Augusta National Founder's Circle Garden that is shaped like their logo. There is photographer there to capture the moment. You also will be able to look down Magnolia Lane.
3. Near 16 and 17 holes are the Nicklaus Plaque, Palmer Plaque and Record Fountain Plaque commemorating various tournament achievements.
4. Go see the Live Oak tree near the 18th green next to the clubhouse patio. It is massive.....nearly 6ft thick at the trunk, 60 ft tall and branches that span 100ft. Players and members will have lunch and take meetings standing underneath that tree. Arnold Palmer would sit under it for hours at end and visit with friends.
5. Look for the Butler and Eisenhower cabins just off the 10th fairway.
6. Look across the 10th fairway to the spot Bubba hit his sudden death playoff shot.
7. Eat a Pimento Cheese sandwich....or two.
8. Have fun.

Wow, I really don’t like you, lol.

Good for you though. I can’t even begin to imagine playing there. Insane!

Back