Major Champion
    Handicap
    GHIN 6.6
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    947 Posts

Set Gap Wedges

I have personally experienced and read of others’ experiences where, for some reason, the gap wedge that comes with a set of irons does not seem to gap in with the rest of the set. Sometimes it is even so with the pw, too. What are the physics behind why this would be the case? I cannot seem to comprehend in my mind why. I have seen it with three different sets of irons and it seems most prevalent (reading others’ experiences, as well as from my own observation) in irons sets that fall within that “players distance” profile.
    Tenputt

My Cobra, Morgan Cup bag:
    KING F9 SPEEDBACK Driver, 9*
    KING F9 SPEEDBACK 3-4, 14.5*
    KING F9 SPEEDBACK Tour 4-5, 17.5*
    KING F9 SPEEDBACK Irons, 4 - gw
    KING F9 Black Wedges, 54* and 60*
    Putter: TaylorMade Spider X slant neck

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    88 Posts
    Depends on how you hit it. If you tend to get a bit underneath your wedges then the extra loft can start to make your distance fall off more than you’d expect.

My own experience is that the UW in my set works well on gapping wit my PW.

Man Down
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3,054 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenputt View Post
    I have personally experienced and read of others’ experiences where, for some reason, the gap wedge that comes with a set of irons does not seem to gap in with the rest of the set. Sometimes it is even so with the pw, too. What are the physics behind why this would be the case? I cannot seem to comprehend in my mind why. I have seen it with three different sets of irons and it seems most prevalent (reading others’ experiences, as well as from my own observation) in irons sets that fall within that “players distance” profile.
    The technology that drives the other clubs to be longer needs to come out of the scoring clubs, which can lead to gapping issues. For example, face cup in Callaway irons is only in certain irons. Wilson Staff alters the number of power holes as the set goes down.

At least that is my current understanding of the issue.
    Whole new bag of clubs incoming. Hello and

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    33 Posts
    This makes a lot of sense. But I'd agree, throughout many different sets I never really cared for or felt like the "set" gap wedge was a good fit for the bag or for me

Quote Originally Posted by Molten View Post
    The technology that drives the other clubs to be longer needs to come out of the scoring clubs, which can lead to gapping issues. For example, face cup in Callaway irons is only in certain irons. Wilson Staff alters the number of power holes as the set goes down.

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    I have never heard of a set gap wedge not fitting in with the rest of the set and struggle to believe any manufacturer worth their salt would ever allow that to happen. Certainly there is a lot of testing and validation to make sure the gapping is reasonably close. My last 4 sets of irons I played the set gap in all of them.

I do agree with Joelsim's comment as I have that particular problem with my wedges. I try to practice my wedges/partial wedges on the course late in the evening when no one is around and I can truly dial in the distances. I have the tendency to be steep and to feel the club sliding under the ball too much which results in a high right leaker that loses about 7-12 yards. With the same (speed) swing if I get the clubface closed that wee bit more, and the strike more centered (instead of high), I'll get a straighter ballflight, not quite as high, and 10 yards more. 10 yards is enough to throw off the gaping for sure.

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doddly5687 View Post
    This makes a lot of sense. But I'd agree, throughout many different sets I never really cared for or felt like the "set" gap wedge was a good fit for the bag or for me

IMO the more you use the gap around the green the more one should look to the specialty wedges. My gap wedge is purely there to fill a distance gap: 135 PW, 120 GW, 100 SW, 80 LW. I play 99% of my shots around the green with either the SW or LW (which I know isn't textbook but it's what I'm comfortable with).

7. The Following User Says Thank You to drunknexu For This Useful Post:

Rebel4life (04-19-2019)

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4,634 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Molten View Post

While this is true the set gap wedges tend to be of the same design as the other scoring clubs, which in some cases is still placing a lot of mass lower on the club. For me, this can cause distance loss with the ball launching high and ballooning. I found this to be the case with the gap wedge in the HF2s. Bending it strong counteracted this tendency but it didn't leave enough bounce for me to use it comfortably, so I swapped it out for a CBX wedge.
    "I'm kind of amazed that people actually toast their PopTarts. They're perfect, right out of the wrapper. Except the unfrosted ones, they're never perfect and always a slap in the face to America." - blugold

Bag: 3.5
    Driver: Z565
    Fairway: C300 5w
    Utility: Exotics 2 Ironwood
    Irons: JGR HF2 4-P
    Wedges: CBX 48, 52, 58
    Putter: Tyne H
    Ball: AVX

Junior Golfer
    Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    38 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSinVA View Post
    While this is true the set gap wedges tend to be of the same design as the other scoring clubs, which in some cases is still placing a lot of mass lower on the club. For me, this can cause distance loss with the ball launching high and ballooning. I found this to be the case with the gap wedge in the HF2s. Bending it strong counteracted this tendency but it didn't leave enough bounce for me to use it comfortably, so I swapped it out for a CBX wedge.
    I agree completely and this is the issue with my current set GW. My surrounding wedges are performing much more consistently than the GW. Strongly considering a swap out to a Vokey or Cleveland 50*.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ima lil Gcup shortNstout

Handicap
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10,071 Posts
    i have experienced this as well. my thought is that manufacturers alter the cg to give the more penetrating, higher spin flight we expect out of wedges. that puts a premium on quality of strike, so when we miss we come up short, shorter than misses with the more forgiving longer irons. i could be totally off base, that's just what i've seen in the set gap wedges i've had in player's distance clubs.

i'll let the ecpc guys tell me which direction to go, but i am not opposed at all to stopping my irons at the pw, and then transitioning to more traditional wedges starting with gap. for whatever reason, that traditional wedge look at address is more confidence inspiring when i need to be precise.
    awesomeness
    perfection
    innovation
    excellence
    brilliance
    pioneering
    leading
    redefining

Humbled, honored, and beaming with excitement to be the Captain (what, CAPTAIN???) of Team THP in the 2019 Grandaddy with

Major Champion
    Handicap
    GHIN 6.6
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    947 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joelsim View Post
    Depends on how you hit it. If you tend to get a bit underneath your wedges then the extra loft can start to make your distance fall off more than you’d expect.

My own experience is that the UW in my set works well on gapping wit my PW.
    I agree that this could be the case in some instances, but I know of this issue being mentioned and experienced by players on this forum who are + handicaps. I tend to believe that sometimes it is the inherent characteristics of technology that makes most of the individual clubs in the iron set perform better, such as higher launch that throws the ball to high in the higher lofted pw and/or gw. I played the P790s most of last year and had struggles with the gw. When I went to a 50 degree Callaway MD4, the problem was solved, so it couldn’t all have been me sliding the head under the ball. My miss tends to be thin anyway, not fat.
    Tenputt

My Cobra, Morgan Cup bag:
    KING F9 SPEEDBACK Driver, 9*
    KING F9 SPEEDBACK 3-4, 14.5*
    KING F9 SPEEDBACK Tour 4-5, 17.5*
    KING F9 SPEEDBACK Irons, 4 - gw
    KING F9 Black Wedges, 54* and 60*
    Putter: TaylorMade Spider X slant neck