Why doesn't EVERYONE use game improvement irons

chriso97

Mad Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
I kinda feel dumb for asking but in the spirit of "there's no such thing as a dumb question."

If they can make an iron that is easier to hit, and has better results for off-centre hits etc etc, why doesn't EVERYONE (including pros) use them?

I guess what I am asking is what are the advantages of the "better player" tech.

This question has always interested me. I've just never had the courage to ask ... Until now.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

Looks are a big part of it, and there are some fee and performance issues with most GI sets. Typically the pro/blade iron shapes are easier to control and offer more workability for the more skilled players. That’s changing with a lot of the new sets, we see more forgiveness in the better players profiles and more consistency and workability in the GI type irons, but they are still different sets for different needs.

I kinda feel dumb for asking but in the spirit of "there's no such thing as a dumb question."

If they can make an iron that is easier to hit, and has better results for off-centre hits etc etc, why doesn't EVERYONE (including pros) use them?

I guess what I am asking is what are the advantages of the "better player" tech.

This question has always interested me. I've just never had the courage to ask ... Until now.

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

most game improvement irons are stronger lofts and lower spin design. Also i cant stand the looks of a huge iron head at the ball. For consistent distance time and time again, a blade will give you the most accurate shots and distance control. Very very rare youre gonna hit that random flyer that goes 20 yards farther than normal ( again assuming you have the ball striking consistency to produce the same swing over and over). I currently have a blended set of P790's and hate them

Im definitely not a tour player but im good enough with irons and like to work the ball when needed and i simply cant do that with super game improvements. Also the offset of those irons just doesnt work for me

They look horrible, I find it difficult to flight them down, their lofts are too strong, can't work them as much around the greens (sole is too chunky), usually cast so don't feel as buttery soft, generally aren't super shiny (we all love shiny), sometimes you can't tell where you hit it on the face (I like feedback).

Blades or fat blades just look neat and let you see how good you really are with your irons. to me anyway

a blade will give you the most accurate shots and distance control.

This is pretty debatable. Two reasons for that. First, Blades spin more by design. So changing impact location can bring pretty big swings in both distance and control. Second, having anything between the ball and the club can change spin numbers quite a bit as well. With perfect impact, most well made irons have really good consistency right now. The use of materials such as tungsten and other things has brought in more weight low, which is one of the areas the muscle back design excelled in for control.

GI irons are awesome; however there are some things people dont like about them.

1. Looks. A lot of players dont like the blade length of GI irons or the chunk of them.

2. Sole Width. Some people have issues with the wider soles that are common in GI irons.

3. Lofts/Spin. Some players have better control over the spin they impart on the ball and are able to knock off spin as needed. Most GI irons are lower spin by design.

4. Ego.

This is pretty debatable. Two reasons for that. First, Blades spin more by design. So changing impact location can bring pretty big swings in both distance and control. Second, having anything between the ball and the club can change spin numbers quite a bit as well. With perfect impact, most well made irons have really good consistency right now. The use of materials such as tungsten and other things has brought in more weight low, which is one of the areas the muscle back design excelled in for control.

I forgot to say, blades or 'players clubs' have a more honest spin model and you can play for flyers etc a little easier

I forgot to say, blades or 'players clubs' have a more honest spin model and you can play for flyers etc a little easier

Im not sure I understand or agree with that, as it will be pretty player dependent. The variable in spin difference between blades and lower spinning models is pretty drastic. What some believe is a flyer because of design is usually based on impact or lie. Then compound that with losses from impact being more frequent (for most) than any flyer would come in and it seems its often an easy target without much substance. In my opinion of course.

I would disagree a little with that.

GI irons can spin consistently.

Really a players iron I would say has a higher likelihood to be higher spin design, but a flyer lie should be played fairly similarly if lower model or not.

Typically, for me anyways, players irons look better. I like the way they look in my bag.

Im not sure I understand or agree with that, as it will be pretty player dependent. The variable in spin difference between blades and lower spinning models is pretty drastic. What some believe is a flyer because of design is usually based on impact or lie. Then compound that with losses from impact being more frequent (for most) than any flyer would come in and it seems its often an easy target without much substance. In my opinion of course.

You're right it is so player dependant, but for me with GI irons I find myself missing more front or back than left to right. I just find distances harder to adjust to with different lies etc.

I’ve used GI irons and really liked them. I’ve also used players irons and really liked them as well. Just depends on what you are looking for at the moment. I would not try to play with an MP set of blades, not because I couldn’t but I wouldn’t feel comfortable and it would be in my mind. Play whatever you are comfortable with.

For me it’s sound/feel, and looks. Performance wise I don’t tend to really score that different either way, but I am big on sound and looks with golf clubs, so I tend to gravitate to players irons. I’d probably do fine with blades, just can’t bring myself to game them.

Looks seem to have the most influence on that decision. Some will argue that you can’t have as much workability with those type of irons which is completely false as workability comes from your mechanics during the swing not what you’re using.

For me personally, I’m a mid handicapper and in the past 4 to 5 years I have played both kinds of irons tracking numbers as well as scores. I’ve never seen a significant difference in my scoring between the two types of irons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have, one time, hit a pure shot with a forged player's iron. It felt amazing. I will cling to the memory.

Edit: I was looking at forged irons for no better reason than the statements, here, on The Enabler's Paradise, about how amazing they felt.

So as a lark, I went into GG and grabbed a Mizuno forged, another brand that I don't remember, and a Callaway Apex Pro Forged.

Hit the Mizuno a few times, was "Eh, feels like a golf club.", Hit the second iron, same result. Picked up the Callaway, and on the second shot, I felt it.

Mind blown.

Been chasing that feeling for a few years now. I think it's going to be a unicorn though.

Last edited:
It comes down to ego and looks as far as I can tell. I’m guilty of it in the past and sure I will fall prey again in the future.

I just had a fun thought. I might challenge my regular playing buddy to go out and buy an old cheap set of blades, as will I, and play a round with them. Might be a revelation. Might be a trainwreck. Certain to be funny at the worst.

I just had a fun thought. I might challenge my regular playing buddy to go out and buy an old cheap set of blades, as will I, and play a round with them. Might be a revelation. Might be a trainwreck. Certain to be funny at the worst.
You'll learn your miss pretty quickly. But it'll be fun

Posted by my thumbs.

You'll learn your miss pretty quickly. But it'll be fun

Posted by my thumbs.

I'm also thinking there may be a few dropped clubs due to the stinging hands.

Its all about the looks. I have committed to playing blades this year whenever I may actually be able to get out and golf again that is. Mainly because I thought I could handle them, however they may be better suited to playing later in the year when the swing is in good form vs at the start of the year off a 6 month layoff.

I'm also thinking there may be a few dropped clubs due to the stinging hands.
Nah! I think that's a misnomer. I love blades. I'm not a great player by any means, and it's pretty rare that my hands sting.

I don't play blades very often as I get more distance from "players clubs" but when I do throw a set into my bag, it's always a good time. I just wouldnt use them in a cash game.

Posted by my thumbs.

I will say, with some of the recent releases over just the past couple years, there is becoming less and less of a reason to play more "player" type MB/CB irons for the looks argument. The blend performance and forgiveness is starting to be packed into really good looking clubs. If I look back to say the Ping G5's I had...they looked horrible compared to some of the more players type irons at the time. Can't really say that about too many of them anymore.

The sound/feel still isn't quite there yet though IMO

I've tried them and my game is worse. For me personally it comes down to confidence when I look down at the club. I REALLY don't have the game for players irons, so I have to draw a serious balance of what looks good to my eye and what happens at impact. Thats why I've gamed the i25s for years and recently replaced them with the Apex CF19s. I still from time to time with grab game improvement or super game improvement irons to try them and its nothing but a chunky fat fest when I try to hit the ball. Put one in my hands and I'm already down the road of mentally being "unable" to hit them...

Go with what you're comfortable with. I had zero issue having bulky irons at one point, because I knew I needed extra help all over the face which that provided to me. The Cobra UFi irons were the chunkiest irons I've played and I enjoyed them, definitely the SGI category to me.

As years went on and I made the jump to the GI category it was also helpful and comforting. Since I get to play a lot, practice, lessons, etc. The formation of "Players Distance Iron" really intrigued me especially after seeing a family friend get the TaylorMade P790s. They looked great and still packed plenty of punch and forgiveness.

Enter the Apex CF19. I like the name of this category, Players Distance Iron, along with the maximum amount of technology into this category of golf clubs. Fun!

I don't play game improvement irons because THP didn't send me GI irons for the holidays. :banana:

Some of it comes down to looks, for sure, which means some of it is ego. Also, some of it is CG placement. I'm a lower-spin player, and game improvement irons can produce some really low-spin shots if I hit them higher on the face...which I'm also a little bit prone to do.

Also, and this is just my opinion, but "game improvement" is kinda relative. Sure, I game CB/MB irons, but if I find myself paired with a guy playing Wilson Staff Model irons, he's going to chuckle and mutter "tungsten" under his breath, if he really was a geardo like me. Compared to, say, 40 years ago, all of us are playing irons with some help to them.

Back