Leading Edge of Irons and Wedges

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
I have received this question quite a bit lately, so wanted to start a thread about the leading edge of clubs. How it pertains to impact and how it relates to sole design. There is a really good video below with Michael Vrska speaking about sole design and how bounce is calculated and maybe even overthought.

With that said, this thread is more about the leading edge and whether you use something more rounded, something straighter and even crazier, would either impact performance. Do you have a preference? What is the reasoning?

I have had this conversation with Michael and I am sure he can chime in with his thoughts as well from a design stand point.

[video=youtube;Ti2RP8K-msc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ti2RP8K-msc[/video]

Could somebody explain to me, because I cannot wrap my head around it, how does trailing edge affect performance of an iron? I can understand with forgiveness on miss hits and what not, but on clean strikes, how can that trail edge make a difference?

Could somebody explain to me, because I cannot wrap my head around it, how does trailing edge affect performance of an iron? I can understand with forgiveness on miss hits and what not, but on clean strikes, how can that trail edge make a difference?

Here's one take on trailing edge from THP TV & Srixon. I love the distance consistency from my Srixon irons, especially compared to my last set of Callaway irons. I like to think the sole design is a big part of the distance accuracy but honestly, have no idea how much the VT sole contributes to this consistency. Maybe it's mostly due to the head design?

Last edited:
I really like to see a tad bit of rounding on the leading edge when I look down. Especially as the lofts go up. I love the leading edge of the TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* ATV Grind. It just looks like getting under the ball is going to be easier and gives me confidence to really go after it instead of taking a nervous swipe that leads to a skulled or chunked shot. Obviously on a 4 iron I don't want that much rounding, but a gradual straitening of the leading edge as the lofts decrease is nice for me. I am sure some really like a clean strait line though so I'm glad there are options for us all.

Never thought much about it until now. Not sure on how to answer. I guess if it performs as I want it to, I wouldn’t have a preference. As more of a sweeper I guess a little less bounce and flatter leading edge would work best for me on irons. However on partial wedge shots I try to hit down more and could use something a little more rounded.

Great video. Thx JB. The learning never stops at THP.

in irons, i like it sharp. but in wedges, i want it very rounded. i'm finding that i have a hard time getting comfortable with my md4 in a more open-faced position because the leading edge is straighter than i usually prefer. at least, that's what i think is not fitting my eye.

As long as it's not overly rounded, I am fine with most clubs. Might not mind a bit more rounded leading edge in wedges more than irons though.

reasoning is just preference in looks for me. I just don't like looking down at anything super rounded.

I have never even thought about it to be honest. I am not sure it affects my swing or not.

Pretty simple, you answered your own question. Most golfers don't strike clean and take a divot in front of the ball. If your miss is fat, a forgiving trailing edge is going to get your club face to the ball without bouncing to the moon and topping it. But even with a clean strike, turf interaction still matters. On hard pan or deep wet conditions, you're going to naturally shallow your swing to get a good strike and again the sole design including the trailing edge can make a big difference during the ball strike, i.e., more forgiving.

Nothing wrong with forgiving; even the pros play it.

Last edited:
Give me all the bounce and relief you’ve got. Low bounce, sharp leading edges, and flat soles don’t work with my wonky swing. It’s probably the most important design aspect of an iron head for me. Probably why I’ve always gravitated to Ping and Bridgestone. Both do sole designs for diggers very well.

My preference is kind of straight with irons but a little bit of a curve on some of my wedges and straight leading edge on my longer wedges. I also prefer kind of a square blade shape like Ping has with their 410 irons or something along those lines.

Back