Modern Drivers and Sound

OverPar247365

Consistently T-20...ish
Reaction score
Handicap
I’ve been playing a very old Cleveland Launcher for a long time now. I am going to upgrade in the near future. However, one thing I’ve noticed with my driver is I’m rather fond of the higher “ping” I get with this older driver and older tech. I’ve hit a few new ones and the sounds seem more “dense” as opposed to the higher pitcher contact with an older driver. I’m just one of those nerds who thinks nothing sounds sweeter than an aluminum bat hitting a baseball cleanly and I think that has translated into my driver preferences.

I’m going to get fitted for one but how important is “Sound” when it comes to getting fitted? Where does it fall in the pecking order of things to consider?
Which drivers have that higher pitch contact sound?
Am I investing too much into the sound and I should just get over it and take whatever head/shaft combo fits my game best?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve been playing a very old Cleveland Launcher for a long time now. I am going to upgrade in the near future. However, one thing I’ve noticed with my driver is I’m rather fond of the higher “ping” I get with this older driver and older tech. I’ve hit a few new ones and the sounds seem more “dense” as opposed to the higher pitcher contact with an older driver. I’m just one of those nerds who thinks nothing sounds sweeter than an aluminum bat hitting a baseball cleanly and I think that has translated into my driver preferences.

I’m going to get fitted for one but how important is “Sound” when it comes to getting fitted? Where does it fall in the pecking order of things to consider?
Am I investing too much into the sound and I should just get over it and take whatever head/shaft combo fits my game best?

Look at the new Cleveland Launcher HB. Still has that old school feel and sound with new school tech.

But I would say take whatever works out best in your fitting honestly, to a certain extent. I'm also one of those players that can't stand playing something that looks or sounds bad no matter how well I hit it. But it has to be way off the spectrum for me not to game it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I'm in the if it does what I need it to but sounds a little different that what I want I'm still going to game it. I can adjust my expectations of sound for fairways, consistency, and length.

A lot of carbon crown drivers make that 'thonk' noise. Some brands are still quite loud like the cleveland mentioned and Ping still do some pretty loud ones.

A lot of carbon crown drivers make that 'thonk' noise. Some brands are still quite loud like the cleveland mentioned and Ping still do some pretty loud ones.

A friend of mine has the G410 and love the way his sounds. The price point though makes me nervous for the convo with the new wife.

Does the sound tend to be the same across the history of Ping drivers? If so, might look at some of the older models

Sound used to affect me similarly. Now, as long as it's not incredibly loud, I'm good. Played a very muted feeling clubhead in the Cobra S3 and louder clubs too.

Fine with either, but yeah, I'd prefer the more crisp "tink!" heard most often in the past.

Sound definitely plays a part for me. I've hit a couple of drivers where I put it back after about two swings. My tolerance has definitely increased over the years but it still has to sound ok to me.

Does sound matter? In terms of performance and how the club will work, probably not. But for how much you enjoy it, it could mean a lot.

I absolutely have to enjoy the sound of my clubs. I have pretty good hearing, and I've passed on plenty of clubs that don't sound right to me, even if they perform really well.

So - personal preference is really the biggest thing there. It won't effect the club itself, but it may effect how you enjoy playing it. Only you can know when something fits that bill for yourself.

I think sound goes along with feel for some of us. When I used to hit a RBZ or my Burner 2007 it felt and sounded incredibly good to me. Results were good too. In fact I may be going back to them. As I am less than happy with the srixon z785 I got fitted for. Numbers and sound good inside but outside too muted and not working as well for me. It seems muted is the popular sound and feel of many new drivers today.

I loved my Cleveland Launcher. Explosive sound and feel.
Head/shaft combo that suits you might not feel and sound good to you. I think it’s best to satisfy your sound and feel needs in the long run. That has been my experience. There has to be one that checks all categories not just what fits in numbers.

A friend of mine has the G410 and love the way his sounds. The price point though makes me nervous for the convo with the new wife.

Does the sound tend to be the same across the history of Ping drivers? If so, might look at some of the older models
Yes, many Ping drivers have a similar sound.

The G410 plus sounds different/better than the previous models, not as piercing loud but a nice crack still. IMHO

The sound difference is due to the change in materials (mostly carbon fiber). You could try a head like the Titleist TS line with their titanium crowns. My son has a TS2 and it definitely has a different sound than most other drivers out currently.

Back