Clubs getting a free ride

annsguy

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
My3Kids
I was hitting balls this morning. I pulled a Wilson FG 5 three wood and started striping it down the range. After putting it away I realized that although I hit it well on the range I hardly ever hit that club during a round of golf. It's riding around in my golf bag for free and not doing anything but adding to the weight of my bag.
Does anyone else have a free-loading club in the bag. One your maybe a bit afraid to hit or you always pull something else instead of the free loader.

Ping G400 5-wood. I use it maybe once every other round.

My 4 hybrid right now. But only because I don’t trust it. Eventually I will figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 wood/3 hybrid spot is the least used just due to distance, but I don't have an issue hitting them. Just doesn't come up frequently enough.

Oddly, my 9i. For some reason it just never gets any love.

It was my 5 iron, but that has now been replaced by a 5 hybrid that I like to hit.

My hybrid hardly ever sees action.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5W and 5I usually are least used clubs in my bag but if start making more fairways on the par 5s this year, the 5w will be making a comeback, unless i get into hybrid/5i distance instead.

It used to be my 60 degree wedge as I would only use it when in a bunker. However, within the last month or so I've started using it as my go-to club around the green as well. So now it's kinda taken over the job of my 56 degree wedge as well as bunker wedge. Now I'll have to see how much I pull the 56. I haven't pulled it at all over the last 2-3 rounds.

Right now it’s my 4 hybrid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3W right now is the free loader- Hit the driver much better these days so it doesn't get as much time off the tee. Trying to be smarter on 2nd shots as well so instead of reaching for the 3W to "go for it" knowing there's realistically a very small chance I pull off the shot instead I try to hit to a number. Thinking it may come out of the bag this year, but haven't the slightest idea what will go in it's place....

It used to be my 6 iron. I hated that thing. Hit maybe 1 decent shot out of 10. I literally got to the point of trying to overhit my 7, rather than pull the 6.

Now though, I have my Hot Metals and I have a strong infatuation with my new 6 iron. Of course, I'm still in the honeymoon stage, so we'll have to see if that lasts.

I'm not sure what it will be this year with a new bag setup but it used to be my 48* wedge. It seemed like I rarely hit from that yardage and seemed to use it more around the green for chipping. I'm not sure how much my 5 wood will be used this year.

lob wedge, need to gain more confidence in it.

Rogue 4Wood

I'll stripe 4 or 5 off the tee prior to a round or on the range but then just ever use it during a round.

Weird.

Yep - my strong hybrid rarely sees playing time. At 17-degrees, it is way closer distance-wise to my 3-wood than it is to my weaker hybrid.

I never hit my 17* hybrid for it's intended purpose, but I use hit to hit punch shots and fairway stingers all the time. It's kind of my bonus club really. If I am laying up on a par 5 I almost always pull this club out because I know it's going strait, but I hit it like a really hard putt. It maybe gets 10 feet in the air, but it will fly 80-100 and roll out another 40-60. Great shot when you just want to advance the ball and I imagine if I ever go somewhere like Bandon Dunes I will use it over and over again.

7w & 58* wedge

Pulled the wedge because it started costing me strokes. I can do everything I need with my 54*. The 7w will keep its spot. It’s my security blanket that I fall back on if my driver, 4w, or 4i act up. But I rarely hit it otherwise.

GBB 3W is getting removed this season, I just don't use it enough.

With a heavenwood and a 3 hyrbrid in the bag, they would always be an easier to hit/more reliable option for me.

5-6 irons, 3w. I’m never at 5-6i distance on the local short courses, and I don’t use my 3w off the tee. It’s not that I can’t hit it from the tee, it’s just that if I don’t hit driver I go down to my 4i, which with the “new” epic just goes a crazy distance and generally much straighter.

I’ve played 3times this year and none of those clubs have seen action. I actually took my 56* out of my bag because the only time I ever used it was from a bunker and short sided. I can open my 52* up and hit the same shot. Probably just going to go to a 54* as my only true wedge. I use my set GW for most greenside work anymore, exceptions being having to hit it higher to stop it short sided and bunkers. The 54* should be my best bet for best of both worlds.

Haven’t hit my 4h yet either but it’ll get used more. Been playing spring golf so LCP anywhere because of all the mud (not recording scores yet). My 4h goes 15-20 yards less than my 4i but I can hit it better out of a bad lie in the rough when I need to advance the ball from thick/crappy stuff.

So dependent on the day and course, and it could be any combination of the clubs all ready mentioned. From the tee, My 3 DI, because I am driving well. At longer distances, it could be any combination of 5 wood, 5 or 6 iron, just because they aren't needed and probably because I am driving well. And lastly, and traditionally for me, my 9 and/or the PW. My set is much longer now, so my 9 is more like an 8 and I play it all the time.

I tried dropping my PW because I never used it. The very first round, it seemed like I needed it on every dang hole. It now stays in the bag, freeloader or not. That's why we carry 14.

Last edited:
So dependent on the day and course, and it could be any combination of the clubs all ready mentioned. From the tee, My 3 DI, because I am driving well. At longer distances, it could be any combination of 5 wood, 5 or 6 iron, just because they aren't needed and probably because I am driving well. And lastly, and traditionally for me, my 9 and/or the PW. My set is much longer now, so my 9 is more like an 8 and I play it all the time.

I tried dropping my PW because I never used it. The very first round, it seemed like I needed it on every dang hole. It now stays in the bag, freeloader or not. That's why we carry 14.

That's my biggest fear about dropping a free loader. Just as soon as I did so, I would be guaranteed to desperately need it.

I was hitting balls this morning. I pulled a Wilson FG 5 three wood and started striping it down the range. After putting it away I realized that although I hit it well on the range I hardly ever hit that club during a round of golf. It's riding around in my golf bag for free and not doing anything but adding to the weight of my bag.
Does anyone else have a free-loading club in the bag. One your maybe a bit afraid to hit or you always pull something else instead of the free loader.

LOVE the thread title hahaha

Not for me though. Each of my clubs has a purpose, otherwise I am replacing them.

Back