Payne Stewart twenty years ago

Leftyuk

Reaction score
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
Handicap
It will be twenty years at the US Open since Payne Stewart's final Major win, and twenty years in October since his sad death. I never met him, but I came to admire and like him. In some ways he typified my relationship with all things American.

First impressions of Payne Stewart were of his loudness, dress and voice. He was the typical brash American that Brits find difficult. The first time we come to USA it is loud noisy and brash. The food is crap and covered in cheese with enough for four people on your plate. First impression of Payne was that there was too much on my plate to digest.

But over the years, he grew on me. He used to go to Ireland the week before the Open to practise with friends, and the Irish, who are good judges of horseflesh, loved him. They talked about his generosity of spirit. His match against Monty at Brookline summed him up well. While all sorts of carnage was going on around him, he stood up for Monty (most Brits hate Monty, so that showed his class) and was more interested in his opponent getting the respect he deserved than the massive comeback . The clincher with me was his response to Phil after the past putt of the 1999 US Open, his generosity was class. Winning with class is as difficult as losing with class.

The more I come to USA the more I like it. I find more people I like and respect, like Payne Stewart, I have learnt to see past the first impressions and enjoy the real USA. I'd struggle to live there , due to the absence of decent bacon and inability to make a proper cup of tea, but I try to come over every two years with my clubs. My wife does not play, so I walk into good clubs and look for a game. I have probably played 50 rounds in USA with people I have never met. I have played with assistant pros and ladies who refuse to putt. Only twice have I walked off and not enjoyed the company, both times my playing partners were Europeans.

Payne Stewart was a fantastic ambassador for USA and the game of golf. If anyone has any memories of him, I would love to hear them.

Payne was, IS and always WILL be one of my favorite pro's EVER. I got to meet him in 1996 even for only a couple of minutes and he was everything i expected. Warm, pleasant and that smile. he had a way of talking to you that made you fell like you were the only two people in the room. He did not shake your hand and be looking over your shoulder to the next person. I still remember that day in October. I was working for a manufacturing company In Virginia when his plane went down. I literally lived on the property there and went to the house to watch it play out. I was devastated.
I used to have a signed hat with Two signatures on it, Payne and Phil. It was stolen out of a storage shed where a lot of memorabilia was stored when I went to Okinawa. Some things can never be replaced. but i will always remember that 5 minutes with Payne.

Geez, I can’t believe that has been 20 years. I remember that pretty vividly. He seemed like a guy who had turned a corner in his life and was happ again. I used to live in Springfield, MO, where he was from and he was beloved there.

I too enjoyed watching Payne play.
Some favorite stories I have read, are of Payne hitting balls on driving range in regular pants or jeans and a baseball cap.
Nobody could tell it was Payne, but they marveled at how well the ball was struck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He was a joy to watch play.

Payne was a great player and a great human being. A life that ended far too early....

I always enjoyed watching him.

He died on my birthday. Every year there is a tinge of sadness that is always followed by a smile at the memories of him. He loved life.

I’m a huge Payne Stewart fan and have a signed picture of him framed and on the wall in our TV/rec room in our basement. My wife bought it for me for my birthday after his win at Pinehurst knowing he was my favorite golfer.

IMO he had the prettiest golf swing ever. I was lucky enough to watch it live several times including the 1991 U.S. Open for all 5 days. The Monday 18 hole playoff with ‘87 U.S. Open champ Scott Simpson was epic. Simpson was up by two standing on Hazeltine’s signature 16th hole and Payne made a 20 foot birdie putt to square up the match. His second U.S. Open win at Pinehurst made him a legend. At his eulogy, Paul Azinger tells a funny story about Payne, not being very mechanically inclined, starting his bass boat in his garage and running it until it exploded in flames a few minutes later(outboards need water for cooling), lol!

Last week at Pinehurst every where you look is memorabilia about Payne. From the Bronze likeness to his winning putter. He was always one of my favorites
Hadn't thought about him in a while but you cant help but think of him there.
a74e4d2fbac8f26a57a4a2a661775168.jpg
d68eaf21a3a11982fa6bf2f613787b30.jpg
c4389529488198e9dd6590a7c2c8fb51.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back