Golf ball paralysis

Rebel4life

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Mid
At the beginning of this year, I was convinced I had settled on the Taylormade Project (a) as my gamer. I like the ball flight, and how it feels coming off my putter. My only complaint is that given my swing and the greens at my club, it tends to run out a bit too much if my shot actually lands on the green. As a result, I had picked up the habit of playing to land short of the green and letting it run up. This, in turn, left many shots short when the course has been wet.

In late January, I decided to buy a test pack of Snell MTB's. Similar distance off the tee and ball flight as the TPa, but the MTB Black seemed to hold the green better. I did not notice many differences between the Black and Red, but I tended to score better with the Black. The only issue was that the MTB Black was not available in yellow (which I prefer as it's easier for me to see). Then Snell went and announced not only the MTBx to replace the Red, but that they were going to offer the Black in yellow in April. So, I ordered another test pack and it got here yesterday. I'm hoping to test out both the Black and the X next week.

In the meantime, I happened to find a yellow and black Callaway ChromeSoft Truvis in the woods on my course. At first, I just used it to putt, and I was generally pleased but not overly impressed. Then I decided to test it in full play. Once again, good off the tee and I like the ball flight. Another thing I especially like about it is that it's easy to pick a spot on the ball to focus upon during the swing. I found it to be somewhere between the TPa and the MTB Black in terms of holding the green.

Now, to further complicate the issue, when I finally received my new irons, I talked my club pro into throwing in a free dozen balls. I thought he was going to give me a dozen of the Truvis. Instead, he asked me to try the Mizuno RBx. He said if I didn't like them, he'd swap any I had left over for whatever I wanted. Darn him!! I played the RBx this week, and it is as long off the tee as the others, offered great ball flight, and held the greens as well as the MTB Black. Great! Now I have yet another ball to consider! It just does not come in yellow, as far as I know.

So here's what I'm facing. I started the year convinced I had found THE ball. Now I have to choose between the Mizuno RBx, Snell MTB Black, Snell MTBx, Callaway ChromeSoft Truvis, and the Taylormade Project (a)! I'm leaning toward the MTB Black, then the Mizuno RBx, followed by the Truvis, but I've gotten to the point where I've confused myself. On the plus side, all of the balls perform decently, given my swing. I guess I should be happy that it's a good problem to have.:golf:

At the beginning of this year, I was convinced I had settled on the Taylormade Project (a) as my gamer. I like the ball flight, and how it feels coming off my putter. My only complaint is that given my swing and the greens at my club, it tends to run out a bit too much if my shot actually lands on the green. As a result, I had picked up the habit of playing to land short of the green and letting it run up. This, in turn, left many shots short when the course has been wet.

In late January, I decided to buy a test pack of Snell MTB's. Similar distance off the tee and ball flight as the TPa, but the MTB Black seemed to hold the green better. I did not notice many differences between the Black and Red, but I tended to score better with the Black. The only issue was that the MTB Black was not available in yellow (which I prefer as it's easier for me to see). Then Snell went and announced not only the MTBx to replace the Red, but that they were going to offer the Black in yellow in April. So, I ordered another test pack and it got here yesterday. I'm hoping to test out both the Black and the X next week.

In the meantime, I happened to find a yellow and black Callaway ChromeSoft Truvis in the woods on my course. At first, I just used it to putt, and I was generally pleased but not overly impressed. Then I decided to test it in full play. Once again, good off the tee and I like the ball flight. Another thing I especially like about it is that it's easy to pick a spot on the ball to focus upon during the swing. I found it to be somewhere between the TPa and the MTB Black in terms of holding the green.

Now, to further complicate the issue, when I finally received my new irons, I talked my club pro into throwing in a free dozen balls. I thought he was going to give me a dozen of the Truvis. Instead, he asked me to try the Mizuno RBx. He said if I didn't like them, he'd swap any I had left over for whatever I wanted. Darn him!! I played the RBx this week, and it is as long off the tee as the others, offered great ball flight, and held the greens as well as the MTB Black. Great! Now I have yet another ball to consider! It just does not come in yellow, as far as I know.

So here's what I'm facing. I started the year convinced I had found THE ball. Now I have to choose between the Mizuno RBx, Snell MTB Black, Snell MTBx, Callaway ChromeSoft Truvis, and the Taylormade Project (a)! I'm leaning toward the MTB Black, then the Mizuno RBx, followed by the Truvis, but I've gotten to the point where I've confused myself. On the plus side, all of the balls perform decently, given my swing. I guess I should be happy that it's a good problem to have.:golf:

First world problems.
Enjoy all of them.

Honestly the new breed of lower compression urethane balls are all going to play very similarly. No reason to sweat, they are all good.

Give them a side by side under the exact same condition. I found the Project(a) to be the spiniest ball I’ve ever hit. With full short irons and wedges I was zipping those suckers back like no ones business.

Were the conditions of the course the same when they weren’t holding greens real well? From my experience with them, I just can’t see anything else holding greens much better. I don’t like not knowing how far back they’re going to come so they’re not for me, but if golf was played from 50 yards in, they’d be my ball of choice.

It’s good to have choices though, that’s for sure! G’luck!

If you feel comfortable with all of the options, then I would personally base my decision on price and ease of availability. I have been a big fan of the Snell options personally, and am looking forward to trying the MTBx since I enjoyed the Red so much.

I vote for the Chrome Soft Truvis.
I would also advise you to try the Srixon Q-Star Tour, also come in yellow. Probably one of the best low cost urethane balls on the market. Great distance, great spin.

Price could narrow the field for you. If that's not an issue, color choice could narrow the field. If that's not an issue, play em all based on your mood that day! :) Options are a good thing.

I do not like the TM Project A golf ball. A friend of mine works at a local course and he got a bunch from a rep. He gave me a sleeve to try. First shot...FIRST SHOT...with a worn out 20 year old Mizuno Faldo wedge and the ball was scuffed all to hell! Hit the green on a par 3. Didn't touch the path, tree, nothing! I hit another ball, and 3 shots later, that one was scuffed up like the first. You couldn't pay me to use that ball.

I feel your pain!

I have probably 6-8 dozen mixed sleeves/boxes of balls. I stood in the store today thinking I should decide on a ball for the season, and finally decided to just play through everything I have..... no new balls until all these are gone.

Volvik. Bright green! Easy to see, great off the tee, nice feel, like the ball

Last edited:
Id agree that if the performance is similar, Id go with whichever is cheapest. I personally wouldnt settle on the idea that there is such a thing as, "THE" ball because there always might be something better out there.

Another option is to stay a year removed and play a premium tour ball. Previous generation Callaway, Srixon, and Bridgestone models can frequently be found on Amazon and other outlets for prices that rival brand new budget urethane balls.

I would also posit that while not all urethanes are created equal, most are pretty close. If on full shots you are unable to get good spin from decent lies, regardless of ball, that might be an issue that exists with the club/shaft, or with technique. Some people naturally general a lot of spin loft, and some people don't.

Srixon Q star tour. I am trying the New TP5 the next few rounds (till I run out) but for the price the Srixon is awesome.

I understand the dilemma lol
I have nailed it down to the RBT and the RBX. Just as soon as I think it's the RBT, I pull out the X and play it.....and once again I'm back where I started from lol

Rebel. I understand your dilemma completely. I was all set to put the Q Star Tour in the gamer slot this year. Then I tried a dozen TP5X. Great ball, loads of spin, scuffs easy. But heck $35 a dozen isn’t bad. Then Z Stars go on sale for $25 at Academy. proV1 for $40.
All the top level balls go nearly the same distance, spin somewhat close to each other. Chip and put with minor nuances different.
The decision came down to $2.09 a ball versus up to $3.33.
Five dozen Z Stars starting 2019.
Best of luck to you.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It sounds like all the balls perform to your liking. If I was you, I would play each ball for few holes over a couple of rounds and different conditions to see which performs to my liking. When I got fitted the fitter suggested the Taylormade TP 5X but yet to put into play because of the amazing weather in the northeast.

They can make them faster than you can worry about it. Pick one and go have fun.

Back