Custom - From Builder or OEM?

dduarte85

Reaction score
Handicap
You've been fitted in the past, you know everything you need... do you order directly from the OEM with those specs or allow a clubmaker to order, build, and adjust the clubs? Curious to hear peoples thoughts.

I am not speaking about golf equipment specifically but I prefer to give my business to a local brick and mortar unless the price difference is significant.

I am not speaking about golf equipment specifically but I prefer to give my business to a local brick and mortar unless the price difference is significant.

In this case there is a pretty big difference, they claim to have better build standards than the OEM.

It doesn’t work that way.

The heads I bought last time aren’t available. There are new heads out there with different design characteristics. On top of that we’re not machines. Even Tiger’s specs. have changed over time. So you have to get fit again if you want the same benefits you got from fitting say 3 years ago.

Now your specs. should make for a quicker fitting process and some of your specs. May not change, but you can’t assume.

It doesn’t work that way.

The heads I bought last time aren’t available. There are new heads out there with different design characteristics. On top of that we’re not machines. Even Tiger’s specs. have changed over time. So you have to get fit again if you want the same benefits you got from fitting say 3 years ago.

Now your specs. should make for a quicker fitting process and some of your specs. May not change, but you can’t assume.

ah, erm, ah... what if they were from last season :banghead:

I will order through my clubhouse to support them, but provide them all the specs I'm looking for. I do everything I can through my home course.

In this case there is a pretty big difference, they claim to have better build standards than the OEM.

I will say that having your clubs checked for loft, lie and length is very important after you receive them but that could be done locally pretty cheap. I am not sure that a highly skilled clubsmith is required to epoxy in your shafts and install grips on them. Other than making them the correct length and verifying they are bent correctly there is not much else to do. I doubt they would even have to adjust the swingweight unless your specs were out of the ordinary. For me about 20% is the breaking point and I consider sales tax or lack thereof in that 20%

I was fit at Club Champion... Then pieced everything together for the clubs and had an idependent guy build them for me. His work is great and so is his service. Never had an issue. Not to mention his prices and turnaround are fantastic!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I tend to order direct from Callaway for new products as their CS is fantastic and loyalty does matter to them. Other brands I will buy where I can get a good deal and change shafts or grips myself.

I do always check their work though, people make mistakes.

Depends how much confidence I have in the particular fitter!! If it’s high, I would rather purchase from him!!

If I can get them through the OEM with my preferred shaft I will order them that way and then have them double checked when they arrive. I’ve never had any arrive 100% to correct specs - from any OEM.

And I’ve been fit around 6 times in over 5 years and my iron specs haven’t changed at all. Even my iron shafts have been identical. Wood shafts have gotten a little more stout, but I’ve always had the best results with heavier, x-flex, low launch/low spin shafts.

I've typically always done it direct with the OEM during the order. But I've quite a bit of work done by my local pro for shaft replacements, swaps, etc. Not really bending though.

Went to a club fitting from the Callaway rep at our local Golftown. I could order directly from Callaway, but will probably pull the trigger at Golftown as they have a trade in event as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back