Ping G30 driver to replace R9

red6288

Reaction score
Handicap
I currently have a taylormade R9 driver. I do Ok with it but thinking about an upgrade. I looked a Ping G30 and Taylormade R15. Swung them both at the local used club shop and seemed to like the feel of the G30 better. Just wondering if the G30 is much of an improvement over the R9 or should i be looking at something more recent. I hit mid to low 40's on an average course and will get 225 yards on a drive when things are going straight.

I currently have a taylormade R9 driver. I do Ok with it but thinking about an upgrade. I looked a Ping G30 and Taylormade R15. Swung them both at the local used club shop and seemed to like the feel of the G30 better. Just wondering if the G30 is much of an improvement over the R9 or should i be looking at something more recent. I hit mid to low 40's on an average course and will get 225 yards on a drive when things are going straight.

I played the G30 for right about 3 years, until I replaced it last month with my Mizuno ST190 HL. The G30 is a good, solid, reliable driver. I'm a bit more consistent and a touch longer with my ST190, but I still have the G30 on standby if I need it.

You will like either of the options you listed. I think it would be wise to upgrade every 5 years or so for the technology.

I still pull out the G30 from time to time. Absolutely solid stick!

I didn't like the R15 myself. The G30 is nice, but I wasn't a fan of the sound. I'd try the G400 as you can find one used for a great price... especially with the new Ping line coming out. It's got a great feel, performance and reputation. Obviously, shaft is a big deal as well.... And often times more important than the head itself.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I would go with the G30 myself if given the choice. If you want to really upgrade and willing to spend a few $$'s upgrade to a Ping G400 Max.

I had the G30, also the G, and now the G400.
See if you can find the 400!
It’s really worth h the extra $$

I think you'd find the Ping G30, G, G400 more forgiving and all Ping drivers do is fly long and straight.

R9 and G30 have weight back and low to help with moi and or forgiveness. The r15 was built more on the TM SLDR concept of weight forward and low. Less spinning but also less forgiving.

All depends on what you need and if you hit the center of the club face more often than not.

It’s tough to argue with a ping if you want to hit fairways.

I use Game Golf to track my drives. In the past 4 years the longest 3 drivers I’ve owned were the g30, Epic and M3. All had a typical drive of 235.

Back