Cheater moves for a high handicapper

Carolina Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok, so I know I am not supposed to pull the club from the top of the backswing. But, it helps me start with the lower body and gives me some pop to my swing. The problem with it is my swing is inconsistent. But, I will take it. My other problem is the backswing, I tend to lift up and sway. Are there any cheater moves for the backswing, whether it is a set up change or by moving a certain body part, the coil/turn takes care of itself? Recently, in a golf lesson the pro had me start the swing with my left shoulder/scapula. But, it just makes me sway more. Any others? Cheers!

Maybe instead of focusing on one shoulder or the other just really focusing on getting the left shoulder under your chin and the right shoulder behind your head. For the pulling thing a lot of people will say to keep your right elbow pointed at your right hip or something. I think this is tough to do, bit when I initiate my downswing I really try to think about it being pulled down towards my hip as I go down to the ball. That keeps me from coming over the top and pulling the ball.

I'm no instructor or swing guru so I can't tell you what is the correct or guaranteed solution; I can only tell you what has worked for me. To prevent the sway maybe try keeping the weight on the inside of your back foot. Most people I see who sway roll onto the outside of that foot. Also, I see nothing wrong with starting the downswing with the lower body as that tends to get the weight over to the lead side where it should be at impact. However, if the shoulders move in unison with the lower body one tends to come over the top. I like to turn into the back foot, start the downswing by pushing off from that foot and feel like I am keeping my back/shoulders to the target for as long as I can. As I said, whether and instructor or swing guru would give the same advice I don' know.

There’s no cheater moves in the swing.

To stop your sway there’s several things you can do.
-Set up with more weight on your left side.
-Exaggerate moving your butt towards the target in the backswing.
-Place a golf ball under your right foot while you swing.

I’ve had all three of these prescribed to me at Golftec and they help. I still use the golf ball under my right foot frequently during practice.

I’m sure Freddie will offer up something for you.

I fixed my head sway by trying to make my head move down and to my left during the swing.

There’s no cheater moves in the swing.

To stop your sway there’s several things you can do.
-Set up with more weight on your left side.
-Exaggerate moving your butt towards the target in the backswing.
-Place a golf ball under your right foot while you swing.

I’ve had all three of these prescribed to me at Golftec and they help. I still use the golf ball under my right foot frequently during practice.

I’m sure Freddie will offer up something for you.

These are all cheater moves...lol :D

———————

A sway is due to lack of flexibility. The left should or right shoulder turning up to 90* is the start of the swing. If you flex the inside of the right thigh it will make you turn your shoulders. With the tension on the inner thigh it’s very difficult to sway.

Ok, so I know I am not supposed to pull the club from the top of the backswing. But, it helps me start with the lower body and gives me some pop to my swing. The problem with it is my swing is inconsistent. But, I will take it. My other problem is the backswing, I tend to lift up and sway. Are there any cheater moves for the backswing, whether it is a set up change or by moving a certain body part, the coil/turn takes care of itself? Recently, in a golf lesson the pro had me start the swing with my left shoulder/scapula. But, it just makes me sway more. Any others? Cheers!

All I can say is I can hit a golf ball a hundred different ways and none of them good end of last season I had a couple of mini lessons and finally took it seriously and have broke 80 twice already this season with a personal best of 73 so I suggest you get some swing help and don’t try to cheat yourself out of swinging your best

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

everyone swings a little differently. My swing thoughts:

pretend im leaning against a wall with my left shoulder, I want to maintain that forward pressure as I bring my arms back.

Keep my head perfectly still while rotating my shoulders/arms. Look at ball through my left eye. Continue looking at ball through impact and make a conscious effort to stare at that spot for a second longer after impact.

rotate through the swing so that my big fat beer belly is pointing at the target when my swing is finished.

Back