PING G Crossover - THP Review Thread

Good review Dean! Doesn't sound like a good fit for me. I need the extra spin that this apparently doesn't provide!

Very nice writeup Dean

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tried the 3 and 4 at my local Ed Watts and ended up taking the 3 home with me. I replaced my Ping G30 hybrid that I just couldn't hit straight, too much draw for me. I haven't played it off a tee yet but I have a hole that I think it would be great on. To me, I think it would be worth a try if you tend to hit your hybrid left like me but would like the versatility that a hybrid would give you..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

One of these are going in my bag soon. I haven't figured out which clubs I'm replacing and just afraid for my wallet that it might be more than one. I've always liked hitting irons over hybrids and this club gives me the iron with hybrid tech that I've been looking for.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

Hit this Saturday at a Demo Day....

Found out pretty fast that this club is not for me! Couldn't even come close to hitting it!

This is why we hit em before we buy em!!!

Joe

I tried the 3 and 4 at my local Ed Watts and ended up taking the 3 home with me. I replaced my Ping G30 hybrid that I just couldn't hit straight, too much draw for me. I haven't played it off a tee yet but I have a hole that I think it would be great on. To me, I think it would be worth a try if you tend to hit your hybrid left like me but would like the versatility that a hybrid would give you..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It definitely did not show any real signs of being a hook machine or having that draw weighting that we see in hybrids these days. There are hybrids out there that don't have that draw weighting to them as well, but yes this would be a good option.

One of these are going in my bag soon. I haven't figured out which clubs I'm replacing and just afraid for my wallet that it might be more than one. I've always liked hitting irons over hybrids and this club gives me the iron with hybrid tech that I've been looking for.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

I'd still like to give the 5 a chance because I don't normally carry a 5 iron as it is. The 4 maybe. The 3, for my game, just wasn't a perfect match.

Great review Dean. For me I have never been a huge fan of Ping. Was a good read though.

I'm interested in this kind of club, but from the sounds of it I'm better off with my Altitude 3 & 4 irons.

I had the opportunity to hit the 5 today at PGA SS. This one had the Alta SR shaft in it (soft regular). The club launched very high for me and I am a high ball hitter. This surprised me after reading some of the comments here but in checking Ping's site, the SR is a higher launching shaft. Distance was pretty comparable to my 4i. I'm not a hybrid guy so these clubs interest me since they are much ore iron-like. PGA SS didn't have a 4 in a flex I could hit, someone else was hitting them during a Ping fitting but I'll get back there next week and check it out.

I had the opportunity to hit the 5 today at PGA SS. This one had the Alta SR shaft in it (soft regular). The club launched very high for me and I am a high ball hitter. This surprised me after reading some of the comments here but in checking Ping's site, the SR is a higher launching shaft. Distance was pretty comparable to my 4i. I'm not a hybrid guy so these clubs interest me since they are much ore iron-like. PGA SS didn't have a 4 in a flex I could hit, someone else was hitting them during a Ping fitting but I'll get back there next week and check it out.

Nice. The 5 really does interest me, because it's got more of an iron look to it.

Just wanted to add a bit of review. I recently purchased the 4 crossover and I maybe the perfect fit for this club. My swing sped is between 110-116 and this has become my go tee club. Off the tee, high launch low spin. Hit some absolute bombs 250 plus. I can understand the 3 to be to much because it definitely plays very different from the fairway. Becomes my 230 club which is the distant I got it for. It sounds loud but for a higher swing speed guy this is really a great club.

Just wanted to add a bit of review. I recently purchased the 4 crossover and I maybe the perfect fit for this club. My swing sped is between 110-116 and this has become my go tee club. Off the tee, high launch low spin. Hit some absolute bombs 250 plus. I can understand the 3 to be to much because it definitely plays very different from the fairway. Becomes my 230 club which is the distant I got it for. It sounds loud but for a higher swing speed guy this is really a great club.
You absolutely smashed this club last time out. Hit it past my 3 hybrid every time. Great flight out of it too. High draw. Sound wasn't terrible outside but you can tell it's ping lol

I hit one of these a few weeks ago when I was getting fit for a new 200yd club. I hit this 3 really well and it felt good to me...much better than hybrids actually. In the end, I went with a 7wd because I hit it as well but liked the looks better. If this club didn't look so much different than everything in my bag, I would've bought it. Aesthetics play a big role for me in club selection.

I just picked up an 18* Ping Crossover on Ebay with the Nippon Modus3 Tour 105x shaft. I hit it on the range last week and was very impressed so now the waiting game begins.

I got my first round and range session in with it yesterday and I finally have a replacement for my Titleist 503h that has been in my bag for 9 years! My swing speed is in the 108-110 range and I got about 240 yards of the tee both times I used it. I hit it for a second shot on a par 5 and hit it about 220. I'm not a hybrid guy and this club does everything I need and fills the gap perfectly between my 4 iron and 4 wood. I may pick one of these up in the 24* version to replace my 4 iron.

Back