Nike Vapor Pro Combo Irons - THP Review Thread

Looks like the volt will be nothing more than a small accent color in the new line. Looks like a light blue will be the main color on the new line

Played these for 2 months now. Absolutely love the looks and feel.

However, I was using their old distance type irons (pro cavities...when fit I tried the Speed irons and felt identical), and I'm finding these a lot shorter. I think part of it is I'm getting more spin and stopping where they land instead of getting the first big hop I used to get. But my 7i is still carrying a good 10 yards less too. And my new 50* AW is a good 5 yards shorter than my old Individual wedges of the same degree did with similar spin. Problem with doing a fitting at a demo day with only 7i and range balls is we really couldn't tell much despite flightscope. Really think that's something the Nike rep or tech department at the home office should have been able to predict (contacted tech dep and they said it was completely impossible to recommend loft adjustments beforehand). So while I'm happy I got them, I think I'll have to end up getting an extra iron next year to reduce the gap from 7i to 5h, which used to be a perfect 15 yards. Disappointing as I need a 5w and am at 13 clubs now.

oh, and not very forgiving. Not terrible, but definitely lose 1-2 clubs and 10-15 yards off line when mishit.

The front edge grind helps in rough too. Really goes through the long grass I'm unfortunately regularly in. Not nearly as much of a penalty as my old ones.

And, not the clubs fault likely, but my old irons had a consistent slight push fade, but these ones are consistent pulls. They were fit a bit upright and short, so I'm guessing I'm subconsciously aiming left because my old irons were too flat and long and were going right because of it.

Did you end up purchasing the vapor pro combo's? If so how did it work out for you?

Referring to the original post? If so, I gamed them for most of last season, and honestly I wish I'd kept them to take out now and again. Fantastic irons, IMO, more demanding than what I'm gaming now but there was a fun aspect to that for me. I think these are 1000% better looking than what we are seeing form Nike this year as well.

Glad to see you jump in and post! Welcome to the conversation and I hope you dive in more!

Anyone still gaming these? Think these are some of the best looking irons. Along with the Srixon lineup.

Anyone still gaming these? Think these are some of the best looking irons. Along with the Srixon lineup.
Yup, love them.

So I'm looking at a new set of Ping I ie or i200 or Mizuno JPX Forged. Would I be doing well to consider these just as hard, especially now that you can pick them up for under $400?

So I'm looking at a new set of Ping I ie or i200 or Mizuno JPX Forged. Would I be doing well to consider these just as hard, especially now that you can pick them up for under $400?

I still love mine, great irons, hard to beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I prefer them to the iE1 and the JPX Forged by a great deal.

That said, they're a bit more demanding than all three of those as well.

This

Yeah...I'm probably not good enough for them, I just think they're awesome.

So what shafts do you have in your F5 irons? Maybe if I could dial them in it would solve my current dilemma. Just hate the thought of dropping all that money in to reshafting a set of irons that maybe have two more seasons in them before I chip all the paint off them.

Yeah...I'm probably not good enough for them, I just think they're awesome.

Hey, its all about what makes YOU happy.

They are damn good irons.

So what shafts do you have in your F5 irons? Maybe if I could dial them in it would solve my current dilemma. Just hate the thought of dropping all that money in to reshafting a set of irons that maybe have two more seasons in them before I chip all the paint off them.

KBS Tour 130x in the F5's

Hey, its all about what makes YOU happy.

They are damn good irons.

What makes me happy is facing 200 yards uphill and knowing I have more than a snowball's chance in hell of putting it on the green with my 5 iron. Nothing made me happier than grooving that shot without effort with my old WS Pi5s with their DG X100s which is why I still love clubs like this but I don't think I'm going to wake up 32 years old again tomorrow!

KBS Tour 130x in the F5's

That's what the Mizuno DNA and my club pro chose for me but no way in hell. Tour 120s at most for me.

I have some Modus 105s in them now...too light and whippy.

I don't know what I'm going to do...going to yet another fitting on Wednesday and hoping the pro doesn't kill me at this point.

First off, Jman, thanks for your review and continued updates and answers on questions about these irons. I’ve bought them solely on your reviews, as I did not have the opportunity to test them before purchase.

I was fortunate I found a shop abroad that had a demo set to my exact specifications, that was only hit a handful of times, and they were willing to let them go for a price that was more than fair.

I played my 4th round with these, and I’m in love with the 8, 9 and PW… The feel and spin in amazing. Last round really was point and shoot. Of course my swing did most of the work, but the trajectory and spin you get from a well-struck shot is unlike any club I’ve hit before. The greens were pretty soft, but I’ve never had balls back up like this. Balls landed 9 feet behind the pin with the 9 and backed up to about 3-4 feet. With the 8, I generally found my ball next to or just short of the pitch mark. Even from the rough the roll out was minimal, if any.

I can’t really comment on the easy-to-hit aspect of the long irons, as I’ve never really had an issue with them in the first place. They feel soft but solid, launch well, and must spin, given the fact I usually find the ball relatively close to the pitch mark.

They are about half a club shorter than my previous irons, which isn’t a surprise, given they spin a heck of a lot more, and are almost a club weaker in terms of loft. Don’t mind it, I bought them for the feel, and after a couple of rounds I’ve pretty much dialled in the distances. If I wanted 220 yard 6 irons I would have bought the TM M2-irons.

One thing my set does suffer from is the wear on the black finish. I’ve walked all rounds, and I can see the metal coming through on a couple of clubs. It’s not something that bothers me, but I can understand if people do get pissed about it; if you pay hundreds of bucks you should be able to expect a finish to last more than a couple of rounds.

Back