Golf Pride Tour Velvet +4 Grips - THP Review

Jman

Golf Scrivener
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Full Homepage Review here https://www.thehackersparadise.com/golf-pride-tour-velvet-4-grips-review/

I just received and will be working with the brand new +4 version of Golf Pride's LEGENDARY Tour Velvet grips.

Without a doubt, the TV's are the most popular grip on the tour to this day with Golf Pride touting that 80% of tour players actually having them in play.

As we know with when the MCC +4's were introduced, the name of the game here is reducing the taper in the bottom hand which is intent on reducing grip pressure and thusly allowing for a more free swing.

I'm currently game the MCC +4's, so it'll be fun to try these out. I'll be installing them onto my wedges and driver this weekend to start giving some feedback this week!

If you have tried them or are interested, jump into the fray in here and join the feedback!

Golf Pride on the Tour Velvet +4 Grips:

LARGER LOWER HAND - The larger outside diameter simulates the feel of building up the grip with four extra wraps. This reduced taper encourages lighter grip pressure, promoting less tension in the hands and creating more fluidity and power throughout the swing.

MODERATE SURFACE TEXTURE - Scientifically designed plus sign texture created to pull moisture away from surface to allow for consistent traction.

MODERATE FEEDBACK - The standard in grip feel providing comfort and moderate feedback.

In-Hand Images:

DSC00268-XL.jpg

DSC00269-XL.jpg

DSC00270-XL.jpg

DSC00271-XL.jpg

DSC00272-XL.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
These will be my next grips as I'm using Tour Velvet with 3 bottom wraps now.

• Staff
Put one of these on a club and liked it. But I still enjoy the traditional taper grips just a little more. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

I got one of these from GP to test and was disappointed that they chose to put a logo on both sides of the grip. I prefer to play my grips logo down.

• Staff
Little afternoon bump. Anyone me else spent time with these yet?

• Staff
Installing these onto my RTX4’s here in a few, just enough solvent left to get the job done I think.

Definitely a logical transition then!

Yes it should be easy. I played Z5 Tour Taper towards the end of last season.

This season I went back to Tour Velvets when I purchased my I210's and decided to try the built up bottom hand.

Yesterday I had my wedges and King Utility done with the same grips. The guy wanted me to go with the +4 but my OCD said no!

Picked these up by mistake a few weeks ago & already had my others cut off, so I threw them on.
I actually quite like the larger bottom section & while it took a bit to get used to, they feel pretty good. Grip pressure has always been an issue for me & it seems to be helping with that as well as much easier on my hands.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do they offer these with the “align” feature?

Do they offer these with the “align” feature?

I don’t believe so but I didn’t seek them out as I’m not a fan of the Align.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I still haven't been able to wrap my golfing brain around the +4 profile, but I am very eager to hear your thoughts in this design.

I have been thinking of trying these next go round. Reason is that I have been playing the MCC Align grips for over a year now and I put an extra layer on the lower end for my right hand when i re-grip so this just would make it so much easier for me.

I still haven't been able to wrap my golfing brain around the +4 profile, but I am very eager to hear your thoughts in this design.

For those of us who fight an overactive right hand/pull-hook tendency, a fat right hand helps mitigate some of that. I rocked the MCC +4 design on my last driver and really liked it. I think it makes a weaker right hand feel more comfortable.

First go round in the wedges with these this afternoon. Installing one on driver this evening. Feedback later this evening I hope!

So these really just don't move the needle for people or what?

Is the the boring nature of TV's in general? Or the lack of ALIGN on them maybe?

Is the the boring nature of TV's in general? Or the lack of ALIGN on them maybe?

I absolutely think these should move the needle. I have been a huge fan of MCC Plus4 grips but its been a tough pill to swallow paying almost $11 per grip. With these grips being about half that price and still having the Plus4 tech makes these a homerun in my book. I plan on gaming these grips for a long time. I also think the gray cap looks good with these grips. I haven't played enough yet with them to test durability but honesty it doesn't matter to me since they are relatively cheap. Also, I like to build my grips up both top and bottom hand and the Plus4 makes that easier as well. Now I go standard plus 2 wraps and its perfect.

I'm playing them, sorry just saw this thread or I would have jumped in sooner. I went from MCC+4 to these last month. Alex367 posted a pic of them earlier this year and once I saw them I knew I was all in. For the most part I liked the MCC+4's but I don't wear a glove and always felt that my left hand was coming loose on the cord part of the grip, especially on my driver and FW. SO, I gripped harder with my left hand and that led to some issues.

I played my first 9 yesterday with them and LOVE them. I feel like I'm back home with Tour Velvet's and the +4 aspect of the grip is why I left to go to the MCC+4 in the first place. I wanted that bigger right hand.

I'm going to go all in on the +4 this year. Have one on my driver and love it. But the TV +4 release does nothing for me as historically me and TV have been at odds. I will say that we have been working towards a reconciliation, but we just aren't there yet. All of that being said, I'm glad they are offering the +4 in the TV line, because it's still a stupid popular grip option.

Hello friends.

These have been played a bit now on my wedges as well as one of my drivers and....

They’re not revolutionary. They’re not necessarily game changers. There isn’t some magical extra terrestrial component in the rubber.

No, they’re just damn good grips.

I’m not traditionally a TV guy, in fact, I usually change them out of sets fairly quickly, but part of that is alway how I build up grips, +2 overall and then +2 more on the bottom hand. So, these as do the other +4 models (which I play on my irons) make perfect sense. Reality though is there are a LOT of TV lovers out there, and these will please a great deal of them I think.

Like I said, just no nonsense damn good grips.

So, if I'm understanding correctly..the non-taper (increased bottom hand) is to help players fight a hook or a big miss left? is that the logic?

So, if I'm understanding correctly..the non-taper (increased bottom hand) is to help players fight a hook or a big miss left? is that the logic?

It’s not flight specific.

It’s about pressure reduction in the lower hand. For me, it actually lets me keep a lighter lower hand and release the club more freely, meaning I see more right to left flight. Others, it may be seeing more left to right, it’s all on the user there. The name of the game here is lighter grip pressure and reduced tension.

I'm playing them, sorry just saw this thread or I would have jumped in sooner. I went from MCC+4 to these last month. Alex367 posted a pic of them earlier this year and once I saw them I knew I was all in. For the most part I liked the MCC+4's but I don't wear a glove and always felt that my left hand was coming loose on the cord part of the grip, especially on my driver and FW. SO, I gripped harder with my left hand and that led to some issues.

I played my first 9 yesterday with them and LOVE them. I feel like I'm back home with Tour Velvet's and the +4 aspect of the grip is why I left to go to the MCC+4 in the first place. I wanted that bigger right hand.

I also don't wear a glove so I'm interested in how they compare to the MCC+4.

I also don't wear a glove so I'm interested in how they compare to the MCC+4.

Definitely not going to tear you up as much, though to me the MCC now are much more tame than they used to be.

But TV are definitely a solid choice for the gloveless in my opinion.

Really enjoying these on my wedges, they’re just solid and the plain design of the TV works there for me with the +4 being a good bonus.

Big departure from my Z Cords there haha

Back