Distances From Tees...

I like it when there is some variation in lengths so you're not constantly hitting the same club. I don't mind some long par 4's as I kind of really like long approach shots. It's a real high to get close to the pin from 225. I got on in 2 to 20' last week from 249 on a par 5, that made my day.

Relative to long par 3's, for me it is how they are constructed. Ones that are 230 blind to the green/pin, etc are real stupid IMO. I don't mind long par 3's you can see. There's one near Santa Fe that, from the tips is 250 but it is also downhill and you can see the green and the pin. I really enjoy that hole. Designers have a lot of tools and on a par 3 they have distance, visibility, altitude (up/down and slope right and left). If you stretch one of them to the limits, IMO, you should relax the others. Taking extremes of distance, visibility and slope and merging together is just sadistic.

For the most part par 3's over 200 are dumb but I do love the old school biarritz style ones but wouldn't want for every course to have one.
mo13.jpg

that's a great looking hole. is that an ginormous 50/60 yard long 2 tier green? or is that a little fairway/apron and then the green only on the upper back half?

I'm with a lot of the guys here. I hate overly long par 3s. From the tips I don't think they should play longer than 180 or so, as I feel you really lose the ability to control your shot once you start looking at the high numbers.

I don't care for par 4s in the 400s, par 3s 180, and par 5s in the 500s. It's not that I can't play those lengths, it's just the chances of me scoring on those holes drastically decrease.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that I'm old and can't drive the ball more than 220, I just play the whites and change my attitude on the long par 4's. If it's over 380 I know I'm, at best going to be hitting some kind of hybrid or wood for the second shot. If I get anywhere near the green, I let my short game take over and I can often get a par. You don't get many birdies that way though. Any par 4 over 420 is a 3 shot hole for me.

I'm like most in that all par 5's are of the 3 shot variety.

Par 3's are whatever they are. If they're over 170 (my 5 iron) I'm hitting a hybrid or wood. I just accept my limitations and play the hole without griping.

In a practical sense, from the whites, you don't get too many par 4's over 400 or par 3's over 200. You will have a few par 5's over 550. These are a headache for me, but 3 good shots still get me on or near the green.

I have to keep a couple things in mind. First, I have to forget about the pro's. I don't play the same game they play. Even though I was a long hitter in my younger years, I never played the same game as the pro's. I don't even think about what club they might use on an approach. I'll use whatever works for my game. Secondly, when I was young and a long hitting 5 handicapper, there were always these old guys beating me because of their short game. I'm going to be that old guy now!!

Later,

John

Depends on ground conditions. On firm dry ground I am comfortable up to 6700-6800. On wet mush I like to keep it under 6500.

My playing partner and I have moved up to the gold tee's. Were both 72 years old and I'm a 10.2 and John is probably a 9. The course we play most of the time is 6134 yds. from the white tee's, and 5453 yds. from the gold tee's. We play the gold tee's mainly since we we both have been playing golf for over 35 years and play it now for enjoyment. Our best golf is well behind us and playing from the white tee's makes most par 4's a choked down 3 wood or a 4 iron to the greens. From the gold tee's we hit 6 thru 9 irons to the greens and the 4 par 5's are almost reachable in two with 3 woods. We just enjoy the game so much better hitting from the gold tee's.

I hit the ball pretty far and I don't like playing anything over 7000 yards because it's usually only felt on stupid 210 yard par threes and silly long par fives

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

that's a great looking hole. is that an ginormous 50/60 yard long 2 tier green? or is that a little fairway/apron and then the green only on the upper back half?
It is actually 3 tier but they only mow the back tier. True biarritz would be all green, with a hollow between the front and back tier, originally that is how the hole was built though.

I have to be honest and say I HATE dropping below 6400 yards. I still enjoy the game but I like the length to bite back a little bit. That said I enjoy golf from any distance I just prefer it a little longer than most. I for one like getting my butt kicked by a tough and long golf course.

I agree with all of this except liking the butt whoopin, but I'll take it like a man. 6500 is the number I enjoy the most, 6700 is my max number before I really start pressing. If I score well at 6700, I really feel like I accomplished something.

It is actually 3 tier but they only mow the back tier. True biarritz would be all green, with a hollow between the front and back tier, originally that is how the hole was built though.
Reminds me of the 9th at Yale. True Biarritz. Like a 5ft swale separating the green. Very hard.

I generally play the white tees which gives me distances ranging from 5800 to 6200 depending on the course. For par 4's anything more than 410 is a challenge for me given my age and diminishing distance. Par 3's anything over 180 means a 4 wood which usually means bogey!

It comes down to which hybrid I'm going to attempt to hit into green. It gets old on some courses as they don't allow for any roll up while others do (which I like).

Reminds me of the 9th at Yale. True Biarritz. Like a 5ft swale separating the green. Very hard.

Yep very much so. The one in my picture is Mid Ocean Club in Bermuda which was built by Charles McDonald and Yale is a Seth Raynor who worked with McDonald a lot, who was his mentor and reason he became a golf course architect.

I am a pretty big fan of old school courses, sadly more and more close every year.

The other reason having hybrids into a hole doesn't bother me is I hit them a mile high and tend to stop with in a few feet of my pitch mark unless I hit them thin, so having to carry a ball 190 and stop doesn't bug me much.

fun thread

i feel like i can birdie anything under 400y so long as there isn't some hazard in the way of the tee shot, or a certain shape i have to hit. if it's pretty straight away, i'm fine. but if there's a hazard in the way and the carry is 220 or more, i'll get uncomfortable at anything over 350.

for par 3s, 180 and up is uncomfortable.

par 5s are entirely dependent on the layout of the hole.

Yep very much so. The one in my picture is Mid Ocean Club in Bermuda which was built by Charles McDonald and Yale is a Seth Raynor who worked with McDonald a lot, who was his mentor and reason he became a golf course architect.

I am a pretty big fan of old school courses, sadly more and more close every year.
This is interesting stuff. Thanks for sharing:act-up:. I enjoy the older courses as well. My home course is a AW Tillinghast layout, redesigned by Donald Ross. Sam Snead won the 1949 PGA there. It plays to 6250 from the tips and is a muni. Not many people play here because it's not 7000 yards and it's a county course. I love it because of it's age and history. Besides, the green complexes are subtle and tricky. It's home.

My home course is about 6300 yards but is on top of a mountain and it is always breezy. Every green is slightly elevated or crowned and several are plateaued. You are sometimes better off missing a green and pitting to the upper level green rather then having a long putt. Hardest hole is a 400 yard par 4 down hill to a green fronted by water. Unless you hit a ball down the left side, catch the slope and its dry you will have a 150 or more shot with a slightly downhill lie. Lots of balls in the water. I played yesterday and it was about 42 degrees course was soaked and 25 mph winds.. Lots of low pitch and runs into elevated greens from 30 yards out. But thats golf right?

I like anything around 6000 yards. The idea is to have fun. At nearly 55 years old, I have no interest playing 7000 yard tees.

The longest I've played is just under 7200. It doesn't make a difference to me. I shot a 52 on 9 holes from the 6500 tees, a 52 on 9 holes from the 7150 tees, and a 42 on 9 holes from the 6700 tees all this month at my club. It's always short game and directional misses that kill my score cards.

I guess I should spend more time on the 125 and in shots and deal with the directinal misses when they pop up.

I like anything around 6000 yards. The idea is to have fun. At nearly 55 years old, I have no interest playing 7000 yard tees.

I'm with you, I play 6262 white at home, don't need any more at my age

I played 6,400 today. I had 11 wedges into greens. I think I might need to move back to 6,600-6,800.

My home course has tees from 6000 to 7100. I have actually shot my best score from the back tees. I had more full club yardages instead of the 3/4 swing wedges amd what not

I usually like to play the tips. Here in Colorado it's usually around 6800 to 7300 at the extreme end. I like to have different approach shots during the round. Something more than a wedge on half of the par 4s I think. The holes I have a problem with is long holes with forced layups off the tee.

I have to be honest and say I HATE dropping below 6400 yards. I still enjoy the game but I like the length to bite back a little bit. That said I enjoy golf from any distance I just prefer it a little longer than most. I for one like getting my butt kicked by a tough and long golf course.

I played a course (kind of a big deal course in my area) that I was very disappointed to find was only about 6300 yards from the tips)...

I have a lot of big holes in my game, but am fairly long with my driver.

I thought I'd have my way with the course (competitively speaking)...but it was laid out so incredibly smart. The shorter holes were almost always uphill, or into the wind (or both). It played as the longest course I've ever played (I've only ever played from the tips one other time though).

I think a really well designed course can be awesome even from a shorter total yardage.

Back