Golf Stats - Putts, GIR, Fairways, etc - What do you track?

I only track the FIR, GIR, and Putts. I put my scorecard into OOB Golf and my Ping locker after every round.

50fa7e9e-91db-4d4e-8174-f5d672da78e9_zps71187496.jpg

d84f8c2e-17b4-48f0-a6b2-f014200539bc_zps3a9de940.jpg

I use this, and am making my kids start using it as well. SO happy I've gotten back to it.

Aren't all the high and low misses mostly a function of your green reading skills though, not so much the actual putting.

I only track fairways hit, greens in regulation and putts per hole. The total puts can be misleading as I always have more putts when I hit more greens. If I had less putts I'd be making more birdies. But I do want to see how many 3 putts I've had. That really destroys the score when it happens too much.

Aren't all the high and low misses mostly a function of your green reading skills though, not so much the actual putting.

Maybe a function of speed as well. Many times players do not hit the putt with the proper speed for line selected.

Yep forgot about speed. I tend to not worry about come back putts much so I am probably 80-90% in or past the hole

I use to track the basics but I just don't see the need to bother with it. Its not like I cant get a good read for which parts of my game were/are good or bad. I don't need stats to tell me that. And besides, too many of the stats can be too skewed to properly use for that purpose anyway. Other than that it can be a bit fun to track them just for the heck of it.

Its all part of the same portion of the game. Hence why tracking it can help. When one leaves 14 of 18 1st putts short, you now have something you need to work on in the actual putting stroke as well as the reading.

IMO, you can't have one without the other in putting.

How can an individual golfer keep "Strokes Gained..." statistics? The PGA Tour can track those because they know what every player in the field does on every hole. I thought Strokes Gained was how you do compared to the field.

I only track during the round as something to reflect on after the round. I track fir, GIR, putts, up/dwn, under 125 or under 100 depending in whether I want to focus on full pw shots and in or just full GW and partial swing shots.

I track putts, GIR and Fairways hit. Also I like to grab my drives if I hit them well and in the fairway to get an idea of how well I am swinging.

A few months ago I tracked everything. But I felt like it was extra work with little benefit. Every aspect of my game needs inprovement - almost to an equal extent. So I'm constantly working on chipping away strokes in all areas. I may visit the stat tracking again in the future.

How can an individual golfer keep "Strokes Gained..." statistics? The PGA Tour can track those because they know what every player in the field does on every hole. I thought Strokes Gained was how you do compared to the field.

The speadsheets I have use the PGA tour database. So they would be compared to the average PGA player. It pretty much uses each shot but not course so it takes the average what a PGA player did from 197 yards from the fairway instead of what the player did from x course on hole number. While not perfect it is fine for a baseline of how your round went. Obviously factors like speed and conditions of greens make it so you won't have a head to head comparison but good enough.

Game golf strokes gained might only use the database of game golf users but I am not totally sure since there is no way to download the raw data.

I track FW, greens, and putts when playing solo. When playing with someone else just score.

I track FIR (and direction of my misses) and putts. US Handicap calculates GIR based on my putts. I also keep track of sand shots and penalties.

Sometimes I pull out Game Golf and it keeps track of a whole lot more.

I have used Nike360 for the past few seasons and track FIR, GIR and Putts. End of last season I tried the GameGolf app and just bought the Game Golf Live app and tried it out this weekend. I like the idea of strokes gained stat and I also like that it is giving me my distances. What I saw yesterday allowed me to make an adjustment today and my ball striking was much better. Scoring wasn't great but still working the rust off form winter.

Back